Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

REMOTE LUXURY--best remote luxury properties (prefer non-chain)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2017, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BobbySteel
USA
Colorado - http://duntonhotsprings.com/cabins-rates/ (Cowboy/old west style)
Utah - Amangiri (Desert resort)
Wyoming - Amangani
Montana - Triple Creek Ranch http://www.triplecreekranch.com/

Canada
BC - http://www.siwashlakeranch.com/
BC, Vancouver Island - Clayoquot http://wildretreat.com/
Newfoundland - Fogo Island Inn
Manitoba - Churchill Wild http://www.nationalgeographiclodges.com/lodges/north-america/churchill-wild/about/

GB
Kinloch Lodge, Isle of Skye, Scotland

Mexico
Las Alamandas, Costa Alegre, Mexico

Rwanda
Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge

Egypt
Adrere Amallal

Seychelles
Desroches Island

Botswana
Kings Pool

South Africa
Singita Boulders
Earth Lodge

Tanzania
Faru Faru Lodge
Ngorongoro Crater Lodge

Madagascar
Hotel L'Anjajavy, Madagascar
Tsarabanjina

Namibia
Little Kulala
Serra Cafema

Mozambique
Nkwichi Lodge on Lake Malawi
Azura, Benguerra Island, Mozambique

Fiji
Vatulele Island, Fiji (The Point)

Australia
Lizard Island, Australia (The Pavilion)
Kangaroo Island - Southern Ocean Lodge

New Zealand
Wharekauhau Lodge
Blanket Bay

Indonesia
Amankila, Bali, Indonesia (Indrakila Suite)
Amanjiwo, Java, Indonesia (Borobodur Pool Suite)
Amanwana, Moyo, Indonesia

Philippines
Amanpulo

Bhutan

Amankora

Chile
Awasi Patagonia
Explora Rapa Nui

Peru
Aqua Expeditions M/V Aria, Peruvian Amazon

Nicaragua
Mukul Resort, (Oceantfront Villa)

India
Amanwana
Amanbagh
Orange County Resort in Kabini, Karnataka
Print Wikipost

REMOTE LUXURY--best remote luxury properties (prefer non-chain)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Tsuruga Hinanoza Ryokan in Lake Akan, Japan
Nkwichi Lodge on Lake Malawi (technically in Mozambique, but most easily reached from Malawi by charter flight to a dirt airstrip on Likoma Island and then an hour boat ride. It's pretty remote.)

Looking forward to trying andBeyond's Phinda Forest Lodge in January, and one of their Okavango Delta properties (haven't decided yet) in July.

As another poster mentioned, Peppers Cradle Mountain Lodge in Tasmania is an amazing location, but the accommodations aren't entirely luxury. We reserved a larger cabin/suite with a jacuzzi tub along a secluded ravine, and it was fairly well appointed. We weren't there for the hotel room, though: Cradle Mountain is simply wonderful.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Thanks everyone for such fantastic submissions! I've already mapped out to include a few places you've suggested, that I hadn't even known about previously, for some future trips--which is the reason for starting this thread. While not all are luxury, I suspect sometimes we will include a few of these amidst our other luxury stops--so we get the best of all worlds when in the rougher/more outlying regions mentioned. Fantastic! Keep 'em coming!

Bill
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
Tsuruga Hinanoza Ryokan in Lake Akan, Japan

As another poster mentioned, Peppers Cradle Mountain Lodge in Tasmania is an amazing location, but the accommodations aren't entirely luxury. We reserved a larger cabin/suite with a jacuzzi tub along a secluded ravine, and it was fairly well appointed. We weren't there for the hotel room, though: Cradle Mountain is simply wonderful.
I really enjoyed Tsuruga as well but it didn't feel all that remote for me. Maybe it is because there is a semblance of a town there. It was a very nice hotel though and I would go back in a heartbeat. In that same trip, my favorite place is Shiretoko. But it is quite far and a very long drive away from Lake Akan.

Didn't stay at Peppers Cradle Mountain Lodge and chose to stay at Cradle Mountain Highlanders Cottage. Even less luxury but the setting is amazing. There were kangaroos (or was it wallabies?) jumping right in front of us as we try to carry our bags from the car to the cottage! At night, you can relax in the warmth of your own fire place while looking out the window to see wildlife walking on your deck!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Wickanninish Inn in Tofino on the west side of Vancouver Island is pretty wonderful.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:00 pm
Original Member

Panamonte Inn, Boquete, Chiriqui, Panama
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by lolosmama
Wickanninish Inn in Tofino on the west side of Vancouver Island is pretty wonderful.
I thought the rooms were ok but -

If you wanted to do anything off the beaten track the staff were pretty unhelpful with their advice - in particular they suggested we go surfing on a beach without surf and were not able to recommend any local walks.

The food was ok but its was nowhere near as good as they'd hyped it.

Getting a table at the restaurant at dinner for hotel guests seems to require pre-booking a month in advance (ok we went in busy season.)

Our room was advertised as having a balcony with a sea view but actually there was a tree growing across the balcony so you needed to be a contortionist to view the sea...!

I think its ok overall but very disappointing compared to other Relais and Chateaux properties that we've been to.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL
[QUOTE=robyng;23425528]Perhaps you misunderstood me. I'm not saying a place like Gidleigh itself is remote. Only that it's reasonably close to places that are remote - like parts of Dartmoor National Park. OTOH - I suspect it would be very hard to get to remote parts of Dartmoor on a day trip from a place like Gidleigh.

Honestly I meant that Dartmoor national park wasn't remote. Whether thats familiarity or the fact that its not really very big or the fact that there's lots of twee english countryside around it I don't know.

Anyway - I think having different definitions of remote is fine! However irrational it may sound your example of the everglades just up from Miami sounds a ton more remote to me.

The ship you mentioned - I am scared of ever going on a cruise because it might suggest I'm in danger of being grown up - so I don't really have opinions on cruises.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by HKTraveler
I really enjoyed Tsuruga as well but it didn't feel all that remote for me. Maybe it is because there is a semblance of a town there. It was a very nice hotel though and I would go back in a heartbeat. In that same trip, my favorite place is Shiretoko. But it is quite far and a very long drive away from Lake Akan.
I could see Lake Akan feeling more crowded if there during peak season. We went during late November, snow was already falling (but ski slopes hadn't opened yet), and the place was nearly deserted (and Eastern Hokkaido is pretty empty of people/buildings, compared to most of Japan).

I guess it highlights the subjective nature of "remote." Considering that we had to schlep IAH-LAX-HND-KUH, then drive over an hour up into the hills/mountains to reach the lake, it felt remote. We opted for the Kasumi No Za Suite at Tsuruga Hinanoza, which was just perfect for what we wanted: hot-springs tub on a partially enclosed deck. We could soak and watch it snow over the lake - very tranquil.

I'd very much like to return to Eastern Hokkaido and check out Shiretoko on our next trip. It looks like the Shiretoko Grand offers the best lodging option out that way?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

anyone done cuixmala? cant recall.

tons in africa
quite a few aman
baillies (mentioned above) also manage ayers rock and plan southern ocean road
india includes aman, taj and taj/andbeyond, oberoi (and maybe devi/lebua, alila)
might be some more AU/NZ not mentioned above, but mentioned in other threads
private islands/villas/yachts/etc (islands can be great) - quote may be relevant >
http://rent.privateislandsonline.com/islands/isla-simca (A&K said lower rate IIRC)
http://www.departures.com/articles/jean-pigozzis-panama >
not one light appears on the coast as far as Pigozzi, or any of his guests, can see...a sight—that even the most seasoned travelers may never experience...Pigozzi’s foresight...in buying 18 miles of Pacific coastline, plus the mountainous island on which he built his house...“Everything you see,” he says, “I own.”
(A&K also did amazing deal (percent off) for their concierge members, not sure how common)

some other more remote mentioned in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ot-missed.html including >
Originally Posted by henrikfromdenmark
Ratua Private Island was very special for me. It's not over the top service, but a very unique and beautiful experience ... Frégate costs probably 8 times more, but wasn't as unique as Ratua for me.

4 hotels as THE hotel:
1 Aman
1 Singita
Glenmere Mansion
Ratua Private Island
http://www.shaktihimalaya.com/destin...leti/location/
"1 hour walk to the camp" unless helicopter charter

anything can be luxurious, the more remote the more cost
and privacy is a hard cost, regardless of how one values it

pauljeff, there are yachts that take bookings for individual cabins
alila purnama is great to have now that amanikan/etc is charter only
alaska - not silversea but something like http://www.un-cruise.com/

this forum is more rural than urban, aman threads are larger than biggest city threads
there have been other threads along similar lines as this one in past (sent some via PM)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 7, 2014 at 10:41 pm
Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter

I'd very much like to return to Eastern Hokkaido and check out Shiretoko on our next trip. It looks like the Shiretoko Grand offers the best lodging option out that way?
I was there probably 5 or 6 years ago but given the location, I doubt there are new developments. I did stay at the Shiretoko Grand and really enjoyed it. Probably not luxurious as in like an Aman but certainly clean, comfortable and memorable
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
http://www.shaktihimalaya.com/destin...leti/location/
"1 hour walk to the camp" unless helicopter charter

Thank you for this Shaki recommendation. Looks amazing especially given the remote location and well-kept Tibetan culture. Definitely adding it to my "Must Go" list! Please do let me know if you have other similar types of adventure trips

This reminds me of a trip I took before with On the Road in China (http://www.ontheroadinchina.com) especially in areas like Shangri-la where there are also clear Tibetan influences. While some of the hotels are not what posters here would call luxurious, all the hotels have characters and this is a trip I would highly recommend to anyone looking for remote adventures.

Nowadays, I am more interested in these types of adventures than luxury hotels as the activities or sceneries are more varied.

Another remote trip, as opposed to remote hotel, I enjoyed was on a barge cruising on the Canal du Midi in Southwestern France (http://www.hotelbargealegria.com). The barge itself can use some retouching here and there but overall, it was a great experience cruising through tiny towns, hiking along the canal and also delicious food on board.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:17 am

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
A couple of places in Tanzania come to mind, both operated by Nomad Tanzania:

Greystoke Camp at Mahale Mountains National Park. It should be remote enough as you first fly into a private airstrip and then take a 1-hour boat trip. The camp is on a sandy beach fronting Lake Tanganyika and features some of the best chimp watching in the world. It is luxury-wise not on the same level as the top camps in SA or Botswana, but given the location, they do a pretty great job.

Shores of Lake Tanganyika by monojussi, on Flickr

Chada Camp in the Katavi National Park is also accessible by private charter or about 2 days of driving. It is a classic tented camp in the absolute middle of nowhere.

We can climb, too by monojussi, on Flickr

Cheers,
T.

Last edited by Thalassa; Aug 29, 2014 at 9:36 am
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HKTraveler, there are other threads here, i think i linked all the threads as they were started in > http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ion-ideas.html and definitely not a "recommendation" in any way. was just using the logistics as an example of places that 'require' helicopter charter. i think one of the things is 'remote unless chartering helicopter' or something like that, including africa (and india, and places like soneva kiri before they operate planes) >

Originally Posted by Thalassa
private airstrip and then take a 1-hour boat

private charter or about 2 days of driving
good post/photos too!

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 29, 2014 at 7:21 am
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by instyleprincess
I'd love to know if there's any luxury option for aurora viewing!!
Me too, please!
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Wakatobi

This just occurred to me. It qualifies under most definitions of remoteness: it's off Sulawesi and you get there by charter plane from Denpasar to a nearby island, a trip of several hours.

It isn't fabulously luxurious, though; but given its situation the accommodations are very comfortable indeed. (They also have a boat that does weekly cruises from there. I've never been aboard so can't comment on that.) Since I was there they have done a lot to upgrade the rooms and facilities so it is certainly more luxurious that it was.

The diving is truly fantastic. Their incredible house reef alone could entertain you for days. And within a short radius there is a plethora of astounding dive sites. Without a doubt the best diving I have ever experienced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.