Community
Wiki Posts
Search

the dominoes are about to fall | free internet coming

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2014, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Zephyrous
I don't understand the two-tiered internet offerings either. This is 2014, IP connectivity is cheap and even mobile devices have become bandwidth demanding. Thanks for letting me check my email for free but do I really have to pay in order to watch a youtube video when Starbucks down the road offers it for free? Do the people who make this decisions live on this planet?

For me announcements like this read as follows: We (i.e. our sales and marketing departments realising that we are losing customers to the four star down the road due to our outdated policies) are pleased to announce that we will offer a bottle of water for free in each room per day. Any extra bottle will be charged at £3.50. Soft drinks remain at £7.
This is just my theory, so take that for what it is worth. A while ago I was doing a deal for a company that provided movies into hotel rooms. The revenues were split in some fashion between the hotel company and the hotel, so the hotels made good money from this as it was all pure profit. An interesting fact I learned during due diligence is that adult entertainment was about 95% of revenue and the average time watched for a movie was 12 minutes.
So the hotels are not trying to stop you from watching a clip on YouTube, it is the adult movie sites.
The the issue becomes either raising the rate and giving free wifi or charging for it. One thing to consider is that companies have caps on hotel rates, but will let employees expense internet. So by not giving it away for free you keep the rate lower and bring more people, and the traveling businessman who needs 12 minutes of streaming will pay for it.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:16 pm

the dominoes are about to fall | free internet coming

Agree with previous poster
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:33 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Hyatt has joined the party with free internet across all hotels, regardless of how you book the room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.