Wiki Posts
Search

Which London hotel?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2014, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Miles&Smiles Elite, IB Plus Plata
Which London hotel?

I know there are probably tons of threads about hotels in London. I could not find what I was looking for in any of the other threads.

I will be in London with friends for a night or two over a weekend.
I cannot decide which hotel suits me best. Can anyone of you please come up with an idea to where we should stay? The hotel has to offer five star service but without pretentious attitudes and the likes.
Ideally we would like to be in walking distance to restaurants and gay bars.
What we don't like is: dress codes, hotels like the Savoy or the Dorchester.
The rooms need to be modern. No heavy curtains and carpets and all that stuff.

I have looked at the Shangri-La but it looks as if it is located a bit out of place.
Only 60 rooms open and no swimming pool. But other than that the rooms look stunning. Then I was looking at the Corinthia which I quite like but I am not so sure about it. The rooms at the Four Seasons Park Lane look quite uninspiring to me. What about the 45 Park Lane? Do you think that is the hotel that meets most of my criterias? Are there any other hotels which I should consider?

Thanks
Old May 17, 2014, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

for pool not bvlgari or one aldwych ?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 17, 2014 at 7:17 pm
Old May 17, 2014, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Pool would be nice but actually it is not that important.
I looked at the One Aldwych and thought that the rooms look a little bit dated and nothing special at all.
Old May 17, 2014, 3:11 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
A couple of possibilities: look at the Bulgari and the London Edition. You get Virtuoso amenities with the Bulgari, STARS amenities at the Edition.
Old May 17, 2014, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Sounds like you want one of the Firmdale hotels.

The new one is in the centre of gay bar territory in Soho and most of the others in the chain are walkable. Very well regarded boutiques.
Old May 17, 2014, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

I don't know but I just don't like the way the rooms look at any of the Firmdale hotels.
Old May 17, 2014, 5:09 pm

Bulgari
I am currently staying there, it is my favourite London hotel. The pool is gorgeous, decor is modern & masculine, service is great.
For the first time we tried the cinema it was a fun experience.
Old May 17, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: AC, BA
MO

I would definitely recommend the MO Hyde Park. Great location in Knightsbridge, amazing restaurants, and popular bar. Easy walk to Soho for nightlife.

The common areas are all renovated and they recently opened an indoor pool. The room decor is more classically inspired, but the fittings are all very high quality. If you do stay here, book the Knightsbridge room category at the very least.
Old May 17, 2014, 5:34 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
Bulgari
I am currently staying there, it is my favourite London hotel. The pool is gorgeous, decor is modern & masculine, service is great.
For the first time we tried the cinema it was a fun experience.
I agree: currently the best in London, and it sounds like the modern rooms would fit your bill. The pool is superb.
Old May 17, 2014, 6:58 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
The wife and I spent one night in The Dorchester, before the controversy, and then a couple of weeks later five nights in the Stafford.

The Dorchester was outstanding. I have never met more friendly, helpful staff at all levels. The hotel is in excellent condition. Now the decor is, well the decor.

The Virtuoso benefits arranged by the TA at the Stafford were very generous. We ended up in one of the a Master Suites in the main house. The staff there were very helpful but not quite as polished at The Dorchester. The condition of the Stafford is also very good. The American Bar was always full.

For the usual tourist things both are in a good location. The parks were especially nice last month.
Old May 17, 2014, 8:56 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
How about Hotel Café Royal ?

Have only enjoyed dining there as think spa / pool wasn't ready then . Also liked what we saw - the refurbishment of the public areas . Warm service .
Possibly staying later this year , possibly toss up between MOHP or can stay at both or more

If you do stay , please do a TR - short one will be fine .
Old May 18, 2014, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Which London hotel?

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. MO Hyde Park, the Stattford and the London Edition don't appeal to me.

Why does nobody recommend 45 Park Lane?
Apart from it being owned by Brunei and their recent introduction of harsh anti gay laws is there anything wrong with it? What about the Corinthia?
Old May 18, 2014, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Which London hotel?

I just read the Telegraph's review of the Bulgari.
I hope this woman cannot be taken seriously.
Old May 18, 2014, 5:11 am

What does it say?

45 Park Lane does not appeal to me as all facilities are not on site and you have to cross the road to reach the Dorchester. The anti-gay law is another reason to stay away.
Old May 18, 2014, 5:28 am
Original Poster

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ho...on-review.html

'Take the Bulgari, London’s newest enclave for the super rich. It’s bland. It’s humourless. It’s overpriced.'

'All 85 bedrooms are spacious, extremely comfortable and superbly kitted out, but they are all the same, their big excitement being bedheads and curtains based on a 19th-century Bulgari brooch design (the company started as Italian silversmiths) and the clever minibars that look like steamer trunks. The restaurant, down a swirling, gleaming staircase, could be on a cruise ship.'

'Designed by Antonio Citterio and Partners, also responsible for Bulgari Milan and Bulgari Bali, the granite grey lobby is deliberately pared down to resemble a ‘des res’ rather than a grand hotel, but it only succeeds in feeling sombre, and the acres of too glossy sapele wood veneer are repetitive, while the sweeping stainless steel staircase to the restaurant reminds me of a cruise ship.'

'The prices of the grandest of London hotels, but with none of the fun.'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.