Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

luxury hotels at Kauai HI or close to Kauai ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

luxury hotels at Kauai HI or close to Kauai ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2014, 6:46 pm

Poipu, Kauai, Grand Hyatt Kauai and a brief aside on St. Regis

Just back from eleven days at the Grand Hyatt Kauai and thought I would share for others wondering about going there. This was our second time at this hotel. If anything, I would say it has improved from our visit six years ago. I'd forgotten how lovely the setting is. Grand lobby, beautiful Seaview Terrace where we had our morning Starbucks and watched the sun rise. Nice pool setting, with an adult pool at the top and a "lazy river" progression as well as one rather well-hidden water slide.

I am not, in general, a fan of Hyatt hotels and don't normally consider them to fall within the "luxury hotel" category but this one does. I would attribute much of the positive experience to the fact that we were there after Labor Day and we didn't have to fight for pool chairs, stand in long lines, etc. Service was excellent, although perhaps a bit less personalized than at other resorts we've been to in the islands. It is definitely treated differently than other Hyatts - the bathroom amenities are more sumptuous and there is not, thank goodness, any of that pervasive "institutional" cleaning smell that I loathe at other Hyatt hotels. (Makes me wonder just what they are trying to cover up with that smell...but I digress...)

We had a suite overlooking the pool, with an adjoining room for our adult kids. It was great. Casual and spacious. In general, no noise issues, even though we were right over the pool. Very nice lanai. We drove up to take a look at the St. Regis on the north side of the island and I read that very few of the rooms there have lanais, which we agreed would be, for us, a deal breaker. We had lunch at the St. Regis near the pool - common areas are spectacular, the siting on Hanalei Bay is jaw-droppingly lovely but for us (not golfers) we would probably not choose to stay there. It felt just a bit too precious to us. Would definitely NOT choose St. Regis for a family with young kids - Hyatt much more comfortable if you are traveling as a family, I think. Important to note, though, that Shipwrecks Beach is generally considered too treacherous for children. The Hyatt has a man-made salt-water "lagoon" adjacent to the beach, which, I guess, is meant to serve as a substitute. If the beach is important and you have small children, I would consider one of the Ka'anapali hotels on Maui instead of this one. Of course, there are public beaches within reach at Poipu, which are also an option.

The configuration of this Hyatt reminds me somewhat of the one at Ka'anapali in that both are somewhat terraced properties, so there is some up and downhill walking at the pool and between the various areas of the property. If I was chasing after small children I might prefer the Westin at Ka'anapali where the pool area is more or less on one level. OTOH, the terracing makes for less of a feeling of congestion at the pool. Our major complaint here is that the hotel has sequestered most of the shade pool chairs as cabanas for which an extra fee is required. There are not enough pool umbrellas available for the rest of the chairs, so this presents a problem for anyone who wants to avoid full sun exposure.

We are partial to the Poipu area because it is the sunnier side of the island. There are paved paths leading from the Hyatt down to Brennecke's, about a mile, and past the Marriott and Sheraton properties over to Kiahuna Plantation. I believe the path goes even further - we just didn't walk beyond there. Really nice to be able to access these areas without getting in the car and we found it to be an enhancement to our trip. If you do plan to be out and about in the area, be advised that there are feral chickens roaming everywhere. I find them delightful and they completely stay out of the way of humans, but I suppose not everyone is expecting to see random hens and roosters on their morning walk.

Of the Hyatt restaurants, we especially liked Tidepools. It is surrounded by a koi-filled pond and almost all tables are waterside. Dondero's is their other restaurant, Italian. Food is okay but it is really just too expensive for pasta. For a more reasonably-priced meal you can go to the very casual Brennecke's or over to the old-Hawaii setting of Plantation Gardens, where ladies are presented with an orchid blossom upon arrival and the Cucumber Mojitos are excellent. We found that the Beach House, an old favorite, has not held up so well - food was only okay, prices astronomical and way too many people aggressively angling for their sunset photos.

I've posted a few trip pics here: http://polloplayer.wordpress.com/201...oved-my-aloha/

Aloha!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ejong
Just back from eleven days at the Grand Hyatt Kauai and thought I would share for others wondering about going there. This was our second time at this hotel. If anything, I would say it has improved from our visit six years ago. I'd forgotten how lovely the setting is. Grand lobby, beautiful Seaview Terrace where we had our morning Starbucks and watched the sun rise. Nice pool setting, with an adult pool at the top and a "lazy river" progression as well as one rather well-hidden water slide.

I am not, in general, a fan of Hyatt hotels and don't normally consider them to fall within the "luxury hotel" category but this one does. I would attribute much of the positive experience to the fact that we were there after Labor Day and we didn't have to fight for pool chairs, stand in long lines, etc. Service was excellent, although perhaps a bit less personalized than at other resorts we've been to in the islands. It is definitely treated differently than other Hyatts - the bathroom amenities are more sumptuous and there is not, thank goodness, any of that pervasive "institutional" cleaning smell that I loathe at other Hyatt hotels. (Makes me wonder just what they are trying to cover up with that smell...but I digress...)

We had a suite overlooking the pool, with an adjoining room for our adult kids. It was great. Casual and spacious. In general, no noise issues, even though we were right over the pool. Very nice lanai. We drove up to take a look at the St. Regis on the north side of the island and I read that very few of the rooms there have lanais, which we agreed would be, for us, a deal breaker. We had lunch at the St. Regis near the pool - common areas are spectacular, the siting on Hanalei Bay is jaw-droppingly lovely but for us (not golfers) we would probably not choose to stay there. It felt just a bit too precious to us. Would definitely NOT choose St. Regis for a family with young kids - Hyatt much more comfortable if you are traveling as a family, I think. Important to note, though, that Shipwrecks Beach is generally considered too treacherous for children. The Hyatt has a man-made salt-water "lagoon" adjacent to the beach, which, I guess, is meant to serve as a substitute. If the beach is important and you have small children, I would consider one of the Ka'anapali hotels on Maui instead of this one. Of course, there are public beaches within reach at Poipu, which are also an option.

The configuration of this Hyatt reminds me somewhat of the one at Ka'anapali in that both are somewhat terraced properties, so there is some up and downhill walking at the pool and between the various areas of the property. If I was chasing after small children I might prefer the Westin at Ka'anapali where the pool area is more or less on one level. OTOH, the terracing makes for less of a feeling of congestion at the pool. Our major complaint here is that the hotel has sequestered most of the shade pool chairs as cabanas for which an extra fee is required. There are not enough pool umbrellas available for the rest of the chairs, so this presents a problem for anyone who wants to avoid full sun exposure.

We are partial to the Poipu area because it is the sunnier side of the island. There are paved paths leading from the Hyatt down to Brennecke's, about a mile, and past the Marriott and Sheraton properties over to Kiahuna Plantation. I believe the path goes even further - we just didn't walk beyond there. Really nice to be able to access these areas without getting in the car and we found it to be an enhancement to our trip. If you do plan to be out and about in the area, be advised that there are feral chickens roaming everywhere. I find them delightful and they completely stay out of the way of humans, but I suppose not everyone is expecting to see random hens and roosters on their morning walk.

Of the Hyatt restaurants, we especially liked Tidepools. It is surrounded by a koi-filled pond and almost all tables are waterside. Dondero's is their other restaurant, Italian. Food is okay but it is really just too expensive for pasta. For a more reasonably-priced meal you can go to the very casual Brennecke's or over to the old-Hawaii setting of Plantation Gardens, where ladies are presented with an orchid blossom upon arrival and the Cucumber Mojitos are excellent. We found that the Beach House, an old favorite, has not held up so well - food was only okay, prices astronomical and way too many people aggressively angling for their sunset photos.

I've posted a few trip pics here: http://polloplayer.wordpress.com/201...oved-my-aloha/

Aloha!
thank you so much for these informations, much appreciated
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:53 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ejong

Aloha!
Thanks for the write-up!

We stayed at the Hyatt Poipu a long time ago--before it became a Grand Hyatt--and still very much enjoyed it. I agree that the Poipu location is the best location on the island for those wanting sunshine, since the rest of the island typically has much more rain/clouds. In our experience Grand Hyatts sometimes qualify as luxe properties but are in better locations or nicer cities and have large conference type facilities that can make them less luxe-feeling for some people. This Poipu Grand Hyatt would likely cover both depending on who you are, what you like, and when you go. Park Hyatts are more consistently luxe IMO, partly because they are usually smaller and/or grander, but there are Grand Hyatts like this one that also fit the bill.

On Kaua'i, this Grand Hyatt is the absolute best choice for the southern end of the island and those wanting more sunshine. The St. Regis is more luxe to us, but its Princeville location is less sunny--though the best location and view in all of Hawaii in our opinion. (We were just at the St. Regis in May 2014.)
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:13 pm

@bhrubin totally agree with you re St. Regis amazing location. But yes, so much cloudier up there, although for golfers perhaps that is a blessing.

The entire island of Kauai is a form of paradise and there is something for everyone, I think.

Last edited by ejong; Sep 16, 2014 at 9:36 pm Reason: Typo
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by jumpdogjump
Anyone stayed at the Koa Kea on Kauai? At least you don't have to fight the SOP crowd...(stay on points)
Yes. More a nice motel versus what they advertise to be. IMO, operated much like a Kimpton. Not that there is anything wrong with that. We did the ocean front room and declined the ocean front suite. One is expensive, the other ridiculous.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Recently stayed at the Grand Hyatt Kauai, in one of their top floor full ocean view VIP suites. There is _very_ little about this hotel which I would consider luxury.

It's full of families, honeymooners and generally very normal people splurging on a Hawaiian vacation. It's an enormous property with plenty of space, pools and lounge chairs, but draws huge crowds, loud and raucous individuals and families and is generally not what I would consider a peaceful or relaxing place.

While the water slide in the middle of the pools is rather fun, this alone points to the fact that this property feels more like a miniature water park / Disney on Kauai rather than any sort of luxury hotel property. Granted, I felt the kids at the Amanpuri lower pool were a real distraction as well - just so you understand my tolerances (or lack there of).

All of that said, a few things stood out for me:

- Concierge: absolutely wonderful service pre arrival and during the stay. They really went above and beyond, and for this I was thankful and happy to tip them.

- Front desk: Proactively offered us complimentary drinks and appetizers after our suite wasn't available past the usual check in time. That in and of itself was a service failure; however, they recovered reasonably.

- Valet: Fast and friendly, provided towels and waters each time we left and didn't set the expectation that they always expected tips.

- Bar: The Stevenson's Library Bar was most excellent. Great bartenders, fantastic drinks. Can't speak to the food. Nice views as well.

On the other hand, some negative notes:

- Housekeeping: Left dirty towels in the room and didn't provide replacement toiletries on occasion.

- Dining: Generally terrible. I liked Tide Pools, but our experience was sub par due to service and the GM ultimately comp'ed that meal given the circumstances of the service failures.

- Grand Club: Wouldn't even bother going again - at all. Poor food quality, crowded and full of children. Not a good experience. Don't bother getting a cocktail there either, it's amateur night bar tending wise.

- Views: Sadly, no sunsets on this side of the island. Maui properties in Wailea are far better in this regard.

All of that said, would I return to the property if I was going back to Kauai? Possibly. But I won't, I am done with the island now. Too many other more special places to go next!
Old Nov 16, 2014, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

thank you

Thank you all for your replies.
Just came back from the Grand Hyatt.
It's a good hotel, not really luxury but better than a standard hyatt or Hilton.
Love the salt water pools as the beach is not easy to use.
I found no hotel chair on the beach, probably this is the law there ?

Had a small issue with the front desk as the rooms were pre-assigned for our group, a manger was still there at 11 pm and was helpful and accomodating,

I LOVED the Island much more than the hotel, I was amazed by the beauty of the island during an air tour.

I enjoyed the airport as the bags arrived very fast )

Thank you all for your help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.