Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Advice for two weeks in Thailand - November 2014

Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Hello all. I've been reading these boards for a while now trying to plan a two week trip (honeymoon) to Thailand in November. I have a general idea of what I want to do but would now like some advice from the community.

I am planning a trip in three parts:
- North - Chiang Mai / Chiang Rai
- Bangkok
- Andaman Cost

I'd love to go to Koh Samui as I've heard great things but it seems that November is not the best time to fly there. With the above parts in mind, I'm having a hard time planning where to stay for each part.

For the north:
Given that we'll probably do a total of 4 days in the north, I feel like we need to pick either Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai to stay in and maybe day trip to the other spot. I'd love to stay at the Four Seasons Golden Triangle as the reviews are generally very positive. However, the price is prohibitive. I recall one person saying they emailed with the hotel for a discount, but I'm not sure I can rely on that. Another option is the Anantara, which seems similar although obviously won't compare to the FS. The other option would be to skip Chiang Rai and just stay in Chiang Mai - either at the FS, Anantara, or Mandarin.

Bangkok:
Planning 2-3 nights here; not too concerned with picking a hotel as there are many good options.

Andaman/Beach:
This is where I'm really struggling. There are so many great options! I think we want to go to Krabi given the very positive reviews. Having a hard time picking between the Ritz Phulay Bay and Rayavadee. It seems that the location at Rayavadee is better but the beach gets packed with tourists and the hotel is showing it's age. I suppose we could do 3 nights and one and 2 at the other. As for a second beach spot, from my research I think the following are options:

Phuket - Trisara, Aleenta, Naka Island - reviews of Phuket in general seem as though its very touristy and crowded which doesn't appeal to us
Ko Phi Phi - Zeovola - great location, understanding this is not a top resort
Khao Lak - Sarojin, Le Meridian
Yao Noi - Six Senses - the hotel and location look amazing but it seems the reviews are tepid

Any guidance that you can provide would be much appreciated. Also, it seems as thought we'd be stupid to not book with a Vitusos agent so at some point I'd like some information/recommendations on finding one!

Thank you again!
J
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Since your questions seem to pertain specifically to selecting high-end hotels in Thailand, I've moved your post to our Luxury Hotels forum where it will likely receive more knowledgable attention.

Good luck, and congratulations on your marriage.

~Moderator, Thailand
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by detroit1010
Hello all. I've been reading these boards for a while now trying to plan a two week trip (honeymoon) to Thailand in November. I have a general idea of what I want to do but would now like some advice from the community.

I am planning a trip in three parts:
- North - Chiang Mai / Chiang Rai
- Bangkok
- Andaman Cost

I'd love to go to Koh Samui as I've heard great things but it seems that November is not the best time to fly there. With the above parts in mind, I'm having a hard time planning where to stay for each part.

For the north:
Given that we'll probably do a total of 4 days in the north, I feel like we need to pick either Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai to stay in and maybe day trip to the other spot. I'd love to stay at the Four Seasons Golden Triangle as the reviews are generally very positive. However, the price is prohibitive. I recall one person saying they emailed with the hotel for a discount, but I'm not sure I can rely on that. Another option is the Anantara, which seems similar although obviously won't compare to the FS. The other option would be to skip Chiang Rai and just stay in Chiang Mai - either at the FS, Anantara, or Mandarin.

Bangkok:
Planning 2-3 nights here; not too concerned with picking a hotel as there are many good options.

Andaman/Beach:
This is where I'm really struggling. There are so many great options! I think we want to go to Krabi given the very positive reviews. Having a hard time picking between the Ritz Phulay Bay and Rayavadee. It seems that the location at Rayavadee is better but the beach gets packed with tourists and the hotel is showing it's age. I suppose we could do 3 nights and one and 2 at the other. As for a second beach spot, from my research I think the following are options:

Phuket - Trisara, Aleenta, Naka Island - reviews of Phuket in general seem as though its very touristy and crowded which doesn't appeal to us
Ko Phi Phi - Zeovola - great location, understanding this is not a top resort
Khao Lak - Sarojin, Le Meridian
Yao Noi - Six Senses - the hotel and location look amazing but it seems the reviews are tepid

Any guidance that you can provide would be much appreciated. Also, it seems as thought we'd be stupid to not book with a Vitusos agent so at some point I'd like some information/recommendations on finding one!

Thank you again!
J

Anantara Golden Triangle is a very nice property. I have stayed there in a nice suite (More of a large junior suite, typical of the Anantara brand), which had good views and was comfortable. The food was very good, and the same mahout training activities (Elephant riding) as at the Four Seasons are available on an a la carte or package basis. So, I would highly recommend this property if you feel FS is too expensive. I will caution you, however, that the price difference may not be as large as one would think, as F&B and activities are expensive. FS tented camp is an all inclusive property, so if you choose to stay you will have few incidental charges.

Another thing to keep in mind is that FS GT sometimes has an offer that includes two complimentary nights at its sister FS properties. If you got this offer and used the two free nights at FS Koh Samui (or FS Chiang Mai) this could offset some of the cost. Wherever you choose to stay in Chiang Rai or Chiang Mai, I think you need at least four nights there (I plan to stay for five on my next stay).

Definitely stay on the river in Bangkok. Your choices there are Mandarin Oriental, The Peninsula, and The Siam. Although unfortunately it is no longer quite what it was, my favorite is still a Grand Deluxe Suite at the Peninsula. The Mandarin Oriental would be a great choice, especially in a state room or Author's suite in the River Wing.

Other unique options in central Bangkok are the Cabanas at the Four Seasons, and the Spa Cottages at the Grand Hyatt Erawan. I also like the Executive and Deluxe Suites at the Four Seasons very much.

I am a fan of Rayavadee, and would choose it for its location alone. Phulay Bay has better service, however, and the accommodation in the Reserve villas and Royal beach Villas is very nice. Splitting the stay would be ideal, but only if you have time for 4/5 nights minimum at Rayavadee and at least two or three nights at Phulay Bay.

In Phuket, I would choose Amanpuri, but Trisara would be an excellent choice as well.

I think you only have time for one or two resorts in Phuket and/or Krabi. If you did both Krabi and Phuket (for example) you could transfer by speedboat.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Apr 18, 2014 at 1:17 pm
Old Apr 18, 2014, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your response and helpful comments. A few thoughts:

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Anantara Golden Triangle is a very nice property. I have stayed there in a nice suite (More of a large junior suite, typical of the Anantara brand), which had good views and was comfortable. The food was very good, and the same mahout training activities (Elephant riding) as at the Four Seasons are available on an a la carte or package basis. So, I would highly recommend this property if you feel FS is too expensive. I will caution you, however, that the price difference may not be as large as one would think, as F&B and activities are expensive. FS tented camp is an all inclusive property, so if you choose to stay you will have few incidental charges.

Another thing to keep in mind is that FS GT sometimes has an offer that includes two complimentary nights at its sister FS properties. If you got this offer and used the two free nights at FS Koh Samui (or FS Chiang Mai) this could offset some of the cost. Wherever you choose to stay in Chiang Rai or Chiang Mai, I think you need at least four nights there (I plan to stay for five on my next stay).
Glad to hear that the Anantara was nice. I can book three nights there for ~$1100/night for an all-inclusive package versus about $2500/night at FS. Even with the extra two nights elsewhere (and I'd love to stay at Ko Samui if we weren't going in November) it's still substantially more.

As for timing up north, considering we only have ~12 days in total, I don't know that I want to spend >4 days in the north. I am not very well versed on what there is to do in Chiang Mai - would we really be missing out if we didn't stop there in favor of more time on the coast?

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I am a fan of Rayavadee, and would choose it for its location alone. Phulay Bay has better service, however, and the accommodation in the Reserve villas and Royal beach Villas is very nice. Splitting the stay would be ideal, but only if you have time for 4/5 nights minimum at Rayavadee and at least two or three nights at Phulay Bay.

In Phuket, I would choose Amanpuri, but Trisara would be an excellent choice as well.

I think you only have time for one or two resorts in Phuket and/or Krabi. If you did both Krabi and Phuket (for example) you could transfer by speedboat.
I think we'll definitely stay in Krabi - whether or not we pick one resort or split time between the two I'm not sure. I'm also still not sold on Phuket versus some of the other spots (Ko Phi Phi, Kho Lak, Yao Noi). I'd love to hear some thoughts/opinions on these other locations. We'd love a mix of beach lounging and outdoors activities.

Additionally, while I understand the Phuket resorts are top notch, I must say I'm a little surprised by the price. We were considering Australia but all the posts regarding Australia said you can get the same sort of 5 star hotel in SE Asia for a much lower cost. However, these hotels are priced just the same as those in Australia.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 3:33 pm

One word of advice - with only 12 days I would stay in a maximum of 3 places as otherwise you will be packing, moving and unpacking all the time.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL PM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Bangkok - Peninsula

Andaman - Amanpuri (followed by Trisara). These are much nicer than anything else on your list.

The North - FS Chiang Mai
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
One word of advice - with only 12 days I would stay in a maximum of 3 places as otherwise you will be packing, moving and unpacking all the time.
I agree, given 12 nights perhaps 3 nights BKK / 3 nights Anantara GT / 6+ nights in Phuket or Krabi.

As for timing up north, considering we only have ~12 days in total, I don't know that I want to spend >4 days in the north. I am not very well versed on what there is to do in Chiang Mai - would we really be missing out if we didn't stop there in favor of more time on the coast?
Given the amount of time you have, I would advise picking either Chiang Rai or Chiang Mai. My choice would be Chiang Rai (Either FS or Anantara GT). My first choice would be FS GT with a confirmed upgrade to a Deluxe tent, but otherwise you will be happy with a suite at Anantara. You will need at least three nights (two full days at the resort) to enjoy the experience, four nights would be better. In addition to a full day of Mahout training, you will want to do some of the excursions to Doi Tung, or to Laos and/or Myanmar.

I think we'll definitely stay in Krabi - whether or not we pick one resort or split time between the two I'm not sure. I'm also still not sold on Phuket versus some of the other spots (Ko Phi Phi, Kho Lak, Yao Noi). I'd love to hear some thoughts/opinions on these other locations. We'd love a mix of beach lounging and outdoors activities.

Additionally, while I understand the Phuket resorts are top notch, I must say I'm a little surprised by the price. We were considering Australia but all the posts regarding Australia said you can get the same sort of 5 star hotel in SE Asia for a much lower cost. However, these hotels are priced just the same as those in Australia.
I love Rayavadee, but the best time to go is slightly off season, when the weather is still very nice but there are fewer people on Phranang beach (which, like all beaches in Krabi, is open to the public). Nevertheless, November is not quite peak season, so it would still be a good choice as long as you understand the beach will get crowded during the day.

Phulay Bay would be a great choice, but it does not have a proper beach at the resort. Guests usually take excursions to other beaches.

Amanpuri and Trisara would be the best choices overall, but as you have mentioned they will be slightly more expensive.

Your thought of combining Rayavadee and Phulay Bay is a very good idea, IMO. 4/5 nights at Rayavadee in a spa/hydro pool/terrace pavilion, along with 2/3 nights at Phulay Bay in a Reserve villa or higher category would be very nice.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Apr 19, 2014 at 11:02 am
Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:18 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Make sure to plan in some relaxing time in the beginning of your trip, especially if you go on honeymoon directly after the wedding, but also to recover from jet lag. Maybe start at the beach? I highly recommend staying at Amanpuri or Trisara. You will not feel that you are in crowd, touristy Phuket if you stay there and you will not want to leave the resorts anyway. And to be honest, even if you do, there are nice places to visit in Phuket. I would at least consider a boat trip to see the spectacular rocks (James Bond island etc.)

Have not been in the Chiang Mai area, so cannot comment on hotels there. For Bangkok, stay at the river and make sure your hotel has a nice pool area to relax after sightseeing.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 4:45 am

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
Sounds like you have the most wonderful trip ahead.

I have stayed at both the hotels you mention in krabi.

My own view is that rayavadee is awful. The most disappointing luxury travel experience ever. Yes stunning location but still surprised that people think it's worth the premium. Run down and over crowded is not the right word. My advice is go for a day trip with the other 16000 day trippers.

Ritz Carlton PB is wonderful but not the best beach, that said I did not want to leave this place. Quiet peaceful and stunning. Dining is limited but there are restaurants 10 mins by taxi. There is also a wonderful beach 5 mins away which is deserted and perfect white sand. No hotels and no people. Ask PB and they will direct you to it.

I note you did not consider Khao lak. Also worth a trip if krabi falls of your list.

Envious and may need to book a trip myself now thinking of the sublime beauty of Krabi.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 5:21 am

I'm not a fan of Rayavadee either - I didn't like the design of the rooms but mostly I didn't like the way the beach was full of trippers and hawkers, there was endless noise from the boats and the water seemed to be murky. A pity as the surrounding landscape is sensational.

I stayed at The Phi Phi Island Resort in its early days, long before The Beach made the islands famous. The hotel was rustic (like the old Pansea on Phuket) with fantastic seafood dinners. The beach was dramatically tidal with great snorkelling as well.

Frankly, Phuket these days is not especially appealing unless you want to arrive at a hotel like Amanpuri or Trisara and never leave your room. Amanpuri has the better beach - the Pansea beach, one of the best on the island. Trisara's beach is poor. If money or room availability was an issue I'd consider the Surin which is on the same beach as Amanpuri and used be the Chedi and before that the old Pansea. I remember the Pansea in the days when they had a beach bar where teenage kids used to split lobsters in half and serve them grilled for about $5 which you ate with a bottle of Chablis which cost $50. Those were the days!
Old Apr 19, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: LH/BA/DL
... As for timing up north, considering we only have ~12 days in total, I don't know that I want to spend >4 days in the north. I am not very well versed on what there is to do in Chiang Mai - would we really be missing out if we didn't stop there in favor of more time on the coast? ...
In my opinion and based on a similar trip last year, I would only do one of Golden Triangle or Chiang Mai if time is an issue. I would choose GT for a first time visit.

Even though Chiang Mai is nice, the downtown area has lots of tourists and does not offer too many experiences you can't have in Bangkok. If you intend to spend most of your time in a resort hotel, you might as well do it in a beach hotel. The excursions from Chiang Mai are probably very similar to what you can do in GT. (Not saying Chiang Mai is not worth going, but maybe keep it for another time.)

Between Bangkok, Golden Triangle and the beach, you will get a good first imression of Thailand.

BTW, we stayed at the FS Golden Triangle and loved it. As someone else has said, it is all inclusive and we did not encore any significant extra charges.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:46 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
If it's privacy you're after, check out a few of the options on Maikhao beach (none of them are luxury though). The beach itself is a little coarse, but if you're going around the right time the water is good and it's a massively long stretch of beach that is hardly frequented. There are also very few resorts up that way, so most likely you'll have the beach to yourself and maybe a couple of other families.

Of course, there's always the FT-favs...Amanpuri (Pansea beach which is also barely frequented) and Trisara.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:48 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by 5khours
Bangkok - Peninsula

Andaman - Amanpuri (followed by Trisara). These are much nicer than anything else on your list.

The North - FS Chiang Mai
Bangkok : MOBKK ; prefer to stay this side of the river

Phuket : Amanpuri , of course ; then Trisara

Chiang Mai : FS or perhaps former MO - Dhara Dhevi

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
^ 1

You really don ' t want to move around too much especially on your honeymoon

Originally Posted by Musken
Make sure to plan in some relaxing time in the beginning of your trip, especially if you go on honeymoon directly after the wedding, but also to recover from jet lag. Maybe start at the beach? I highly recommend staying at Amanpuri or Trisara. You will not feel that you are in crowd, touristy Phuket if you stay there and you will not want to leave the resorts anyway. And to be honest, even if you do, there are nice places to visit in Phuket. I would at least consider a boat trip to see the spectacular rocks (James Bond island etc.)

Have not been in the Chiang Mai area, so cannot comment on hotels there. For Bangkok, stay at the river and make sure your hotel has a nice pool area to relax after sightseeing.
Definitely factor jet lag days .. & ease in .

Amanpuri has selection of really nice boats / yachts for exploring the islands , snorkelling ..
The team will be happy to offer suggestions , just give them an idea what you might like to do . They are superb at arranging or delivering unusual requests ( with some of their guests ' profiles almost like a norm ) .

Ritz Carlton PB was ok , beach was not . Glad we didn't really spend time in Krabi .
Taking the Aman boats to the islands , Phang Nga Bay , SS Yai Noi is always a treat. , more than good enough

Yes , Pausanias , those were the days .

Surin suites are not in the same league as those mentioned above but the staff try . Even more steps than Puri & no ' buggy '

Last edited by FlyerEC; Apr 19, 2014 at 9:38 am Reason: Add info
Old Apr 19, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL PM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Just to amplify on what others have said.

RCPB - Good service. Good food. Rooms nice but very poorly laid out. Beach (if you can call it that) s*cks. Nearby beach or short boat trips to the islands kind of make up for the beach at the resort. (Not in the same league as Puri or Trisara).

FSGT - Extremely mediocre service. Rooms unique but not that great for spending any length of time in. Riding elephants is fun.... for a day. Food was not great. (Would not go back.)
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:07 pm

While I'm sure FSGT is an amazing experience, I am a huge fan of Anantara. I've been twice, the second time for my wedding which I had there. They were great to work with and exceeded my expectations. We had a very nice suite, and really enjoyed the food and pool and most of all the elephants and warm personal service. I don't think you would be disappointed.
In Bangkok, I like the MO, especially for a first visit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.