Wiki Posts
Search

Unique luxury destinations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up Unique luxury destinations

Fellow travelers,

Which destinations do you consider to be unique, once in a life time luxury experiences?

I'm looking for places similar to desert resorts (Qasr al Sarab, UAE), mid-ocean overwater bungallows (Four Seasons, Bora Bora) and jungle resorts (Sabi Sands, South Africa).

Any good ideas?

Thank you!
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:31 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Most Amanresorts.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Singita Boulders in Kruger Park.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 11:37 am
Community Director Emerita

Amalfi Coast has several iconic luxury hotels.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Musken
Most Amanresorts.
^^
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:36 pm

I don't like to think of anything as once in a lifetime, as I always want to return to the places I love.

I dream of Amanikan, as well as Soneva private reserves and retreats.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Apr 8, 2014 at 1:41 pm
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: Amanjunkie
Most Amanresorts.
^
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:11 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I just got back from Bali... I figured it would be a once in a lifetime event (it's really far away) so splurged for the Amans... and it was worth every penny. It is a remarkable investment in an amazing experience that I shared with my wife.

So I third (or fourth) the Amans... I'm looking for my next Aman experience

FDW
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:28 pm

It would be nice to see a little originality and have a few recommendations for somewhere other than the Aman chain!
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, ALL Limitless, Amex Platinum
Bushmans Kloof, Cederbergs, South Africa.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:18 pm

As well as the Amans (!! sorry Quitecontrary!) I would add Ngorongoro Crater Lodge, Villa Feltrinelli and Lizard Island on the Great Barrier Reef. Combination of the hard product combined with the locations made those 3 standouts for me if looking for "once in a lifetime" memories (though I'd happily go back to any one of them and expect I surely will!).
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:29 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

To me, the dream vacation way to see Ngorongoro Crater would be a luxury tented camp inside the crater itself rather than up on the rim. It would allow getting out there both before and after most other safari vehicles.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Apr 8, 2014 at 7:35 pm
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
It would be nice to see a little originality and have a few recommendations for somewhere other than the Aman chain!
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Amalfi Coast has several iconic luxury hotels.
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
...Soneva private reserves and retreats.

I generally do not consider Aman and other truly high-end hotel groups as chains.

Another unique property I will add is Rayavadee in Krabi, Thailand. The Phranang Villas (Especailly #404) are very special. It is best to go slightly outside of the high season to avoid problems of crowding on the beach - and the property is not for people who insist on private beaches. Service and F&B could be more consistent, but has the potential to be very good. The Thai food at Krua Phranang is fantastic.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Apr 8, 2014 at 9:10 pm
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:51 am
Aman Contributor Badge

OK, then something which has never been mentioned here in this forum: Hotel Union Öye, Norway, not far from the beautiful Geirangerfjord.

http://www.unionoye.no

The 27 rooms, all of which are individually furnished with carefully selected antiques, are named after notables who have stayed here: Kaiser Wilhelm, King Oscar, Queen Maud and Princess Victoria; the authors Karen Blixen, Knut Hamsun and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle; the composer Edvard Grieg, playwright Henrik Ibsen and the explorer Roald Amundsen, to mention but a few.

The hotel’s three floors are each living museums. Around noon you can peer into unoccupied rooms, finding much to fascinate you – except of course a telephone or TV.
The hotel is not luxury in terms of offering 5 star service, 24h room service etc., but it is definitely a very special place to stay. I was there once for a wedding, where the couple had reserved the complete hotel. Just magic.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:02 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Most Amanresorts.
^^^^^

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
Well we could be original or we could be accurate. Take your pick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.