Wiki Posts
Search

Bali and Beyond 2014 (extensive review of Amandari) -- Combined thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:17 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by cadogan1
Wonderful report FlyingDoctorWu - now even more excited about our forthcoming trip. Your photographs are fantastic. I suspect Amanpulo should be next on your "hit list" if you are beach lovers to ensure the full conversion to Amanjunkie......!
We are actually not huge huge beach lovers in the past.. but I guess that Amankila may have changed that... Amanpulo looks so wonderful... we've got two small kids and I don't foresee us getting the necessary time away to get all the way there... but Turks and Caicos isn't too too far away.....

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Thanks for an excellent report - I now want to go back, yet again!!
Your welcome.. I too want to go back as well...

Originally Posted by Pausanias
First-rate report - if I were doing that trip, and I have done it, I might find 3 Amans in a row a bit samey and if there isn't much of a choice at BOROBUDUR (let's nail that spelling to the teak floor, shall we?) there is in Bali.

I must say, when I saw the title to the report - Bali and Beyond - I thought, crikey, someone here has gone to Flores or Maluku or even Papua!

Thanks again for writing in such detail.
If you think I have trouble with the spelling of Borobudur, you should here me try to say it...

I was worried about doing 3 Amans in a row... but I was also worried about being disappointed by not being at an Aman... and as you can tell from the report; it wasn't the samey one bit... and looking back I wouldn't have done it any other way. One thing that I liked that I didn't mention is that the Amans aren't flashy or conspicuous at all... I've seen pics/reports of the St. Regis... it looks a bit over the top... Places like that aren't my style... I did want to try the Chedi club, if only to get my laundry done....

Originally Posted by Musken
Thank you so much for your wonderful report and pictures. Brings back lots of good memories. I really want to go back to Amanjiwo one day, have such good memories (have been back to Bali several times), but there are just so many Amans.... (Amangiri this summer, Amanfayun this October and then the Indian Amans in March next year which will mean 17 Amans for us after these trips are finished). Once you get started....
I love your trip reports. and I love that you bring your kid. We have two kids and right now not yet.. but maybe one day in the future.. Glad to have fired up the way back machine... Can't wait to hear more.

Originally Posted by farbster
Thanks for posting the report. I was just thinking that you must be buried under and hadn't had time to post. I check the forum and "Poof" there's your report.

Sounds and looks like a great trip!
IT was... it took a long time for me to put the report together

Originally Posted by Baghoarder
Very well put. I once saw the housekeeping staff walking away down a path at Amankora and I felt as if I had illegally seen Santa Claus!
Yep..never saw them at Amandari.... Did see them couple times at Amankila (just the staff)...

Originally Posted by 5khours
Great TR. Well written and extremely balanced. The photos are amazing too.

Would only say that once you go to Puri, your opinion of Aman gyms will change.
Thanks.. I decided to leave my DSLR at home because it was so heavy and I'm glad that I did... I guess Amanpuri will have to be on my short list...

Originally Posted by offerendum
It`s worth thinking about
What worth thinking about?

Thanks All!

FDW
Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:45 am

Great report and photos. I love Bali away from the hordes - it's remarkably untouched in various parts of the island once you get away from the main roads - of course if you want to see the main temples like Besakih you will have endure other people but i found most of the vistors there were Balinese observing their religious rites.
I haven't been to Yogja for many years - time to back soon I think. Did you also go to Prambanan?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
What worth thinking about?
Visit the 3 Amans on one of my next vacation
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thank you for the great report. I want to go back very soon now. Is Bali for 5 nights over Easter from London a crazy idea?? (probably!)
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:40 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
Thank you for the great report. I want to go back very soon now. Is Bali for 5 nights over Easter from London a crazy idea?? (probably!)
Sounds a bit far for just 5 nights. What about trying Amanruya instead? I guess the temperatures there are getting OK around Easter and the private pool villas are heated.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:10 pm

Yes, especially when you can go to an European Aman.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Fantastic report! And, thank you for sharing your photos, just beautiful.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Depends on what kind of seat you have on the journey.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Nice report. For me personally I do not see anything that would justify the price that the AMAN properties charge. I have cruised on the worlds best rated luxury cruises and they included everything for a less per diem then the Aman properties.

I am going to Bali in June and looking forward to it even though I won't be at the AMAN properties.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
Nice report. For me personally I do not see anything that would justify the price that the AMAN properties charge.
Don't worry you're not alone. I'm sure 99.999% of the world's population would agree with you.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by 5khours
Don't worry you're not alone. I'm sure 99.999% of the world's population would agree with you.
LOL. I just checked the Aman website to make sure nothing had changed. 1 night at Amandari for one person in June started at $950.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Wonderful, wonderful pictures.
What she said! Lovely.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I have been to Amanjiwo but not the others. You said to be aware that Amankila has a lot of steps. I thought that of Amanjiwo which you didn't mention in that regard, so it must really have a lot.
Interesting that you remember the stairs at Amanjiwo. I do recall there being some, especially going up to the main building from our room, but it doesn't stand out as having been excessive, even though I was recovering from an ACL injury.

My memory of Amankila, on the other hand, is that it's sort of set into the side of the seacliffs, and it seems as if everything is up a steep path or a set of stairs! Totally worth it though!
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:14 pm
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
Great report and photos. I love Bali away from the hordes - it's remarkably untouched in various parts of the island once you get away from the main roads - of course if you want to see the main temples like Besakih you will have endure other people but i found most of the vistors there were Balinese observing their religious rites.
I haven't been to Yogja for many years - time to back soon I think. Did you also go to Prambanan?
IT was quite quite nice to see Bali away from the hordes.. even our afternoon in Ubud city seemed too crowded. We didn't make it to Prambanan.. it re-opened the day we left It hunk...

Originally Posted by offerendum
Visit the 3 Amans on one of my next vacation
It was an incredible experience... but well worth it...

5 days total trip? or 5 days in Bali? I would maybe consider that... but yeah it also depends on what sort of seat you were in.. our outbound was FRA-BKK-DPS... which wasn't terrible... coming back it was JOG-KUL-BKK-FRA-IAD... which was in F... but still a long haulll...

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
Fantastic report! And, thank you for sharing your photos, just beautiful.
Thank you! I appreciate the kind words...

Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
What she said! Lovely.

Interesting that you remember the stairs at Amanjiwo. I do recall there being some, especially going up to the main building from our room, but it doesn't stand out as having been excessive, even though I was recovering from an ACL injury.

My memory of Amankila, on the other hand, is that it's sort of set into the side of the seacliffs, and it seems as if everything is up a steep path or a set of stairs! Totally worth it though!
Thank you... Amankila and Amanjiwo had a fair number of steps down from the main lobby... Amankila though also had a fair number of steps all over... We weren't that far up but it seemed that the stairs went on and on... I think you can have a car take you to some of the villas higher up....

Nice report. For me personally I do not see anything that would justify the price that the AMAN properties charge. I have cruised on the worlds best rated luxury cruises and they included everything for a less per diem then the Aman properties.

I am going to Bali in June and looking forward to it even though I won't be at the AMAN properties.
I haven't had the opportunity to cruise on some of the world's best cruise lines, but I have tried Seabourn, Seadream, and Regent... And I'll be the first to admit that I love cruising... I would say the proactive warm service on Seadream is almost Amanesque but not quite. Aman seems to elevate things to the next level; a certain magic that I had seen else where.... I've never had an experience like this in my life.. our per diem cost was about $650 per person per day for everything we did... not terrible; I've spent almost that much on a Seabourn cruise... but it's definitely not for everyone... if you like the overly formal service, then this will not be the place for you... (it'll be interesting how they do in Tokyo...) when it comes down to my next big vacation... well let's just say I've been on amanresorts.com a lot...... but I know that there are a lot of wonderful properties in Bali and you will definitely have a great time...

I think that the hardest thing to explain to people is why it's worth spending all this money to stay at Aman... I really didn't get it before I did it... but I read all these trip reports and part of the whole process was a bit of a leap of faith.... and, I was expecting to be disappointed... but the trip met and exceeded all my lofty expectations.... There's a certain jeune ne sais quoi about Aman... but je sais maintenant....

FDW
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:45 pm

LOL. I just checked the Aman website to make sure nothing had changed. 1 night at Amandari for one person in June started at $950.
A bargain at that price IMHO.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:59 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Each to their own I suppose. I can't imagine justifying the price tag cruises charge - maybe it's because I just don't see the attraction of cruises.

Where will you be staying, out of interest?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.