Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong: The Peninsula vs. The Ritz

Hong Kong: The Peninsula vs. The Ritz

Old Mar 25, 2014, 2:36 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by quitecontrary
You should also consider Upper House to stay - not sure what cars they use though
Lexus Hybrids is their house car
Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:47 pm

Hi. Intrigued as to why a car is important. What is the attraction of a rolls or Bentley? Is it a boy thing?
Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
Hi. Intrigued as to why a car is important. What is the attraction of a rolls or Bentley? Is it a boy thing?
Pure novelty on this trip.

But yes it did turn into something about airport transfers when I was originally going between which of the two original hotels posted.

Last edited by JVPhoto; Mar 25, 2014 at 3:57 pm
Old Mar 26, 2014, 4:05 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
It's a Peninsula Hong Kong thing. They've done the Rolls Royce transfer so well and for so long that it has not only become part of the Peninsula experience.....it's apparently become part of the Hong Kong experience as well. Hence all the other hotels offering it.

I'm not a car person, but there is something cool about the tradition, the size of the Peninsula fleet, the fact that they have them all custom built in custom colors, etc.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 4:32 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Talking about hong kong hotels, i am wondering which has the best outside pool for lounging and relaxing after shopping and sightseeing. We might be there in october meaning good weather, so i think a pool is important. Or is there anywhere beach like driving distance from hk where we should rather go?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 4:46 am

Lots of nice beaches in HK - on the Island there's Shek O, Big Wave, Stanley (combine with the market there) and Deep water Bay. Lots of the outlying islands also have good beaches and are easy to get to by ferry - try Cheung Chau and Lamma. Good list here - http://www.theguardian.com/travel/20...ches-hong-kong

Swimming pools - I think the best outdoor ones at the hotels we've stayed at are the Island Shangri-La and the JW Marriott both at Admiralty. The Island S-La has the biggest regular rooms in HK from what I remember - your son can stay free of charge - under 18s stay free which is a big bonus - some rooms in other hotels would be too small to take an extra bed.

Oh and if you want to splash out a bit the IC has the Presidential Suite with its own infinity pool facing HK harbour!
Old Mar 26, 2014, 5:21 am

The pools at the Four Seasons are wonderful - as pools and as a terrace with spectacular views. There's a pleasant outdoor cafe there as well.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Musken
Talking about hong kong hotels, i am wondering which has the best outside pool for lounging and relaxing after shopping and sightseeing. We might be there in october meaning good weather, so i think a pool is important. Or is there anywhere beach like driving distance from hk where we should rather go?
Four Seasons HK, without doubt - two incredible outdoor pools with spectacular harbour views and a very pleasant café on site. I enjoy sitting here at cocktail hour because the views are so good and service is extremely personable.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Totally agree. FS has the best pool area by far.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:42 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Thanks! FS it will be then. I will now find the correct thread to possibly ask more about the FS.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pausanias
The pools at the Four Seasons are wonderful - as pools and as a terrace with spectacular views. There's a pleasant outdoor cafe there as well.
My wife just wishes there was more privacy for the pool from Cafe guests.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Aventine
My wife just wishes there was more privacy for the pool from Cafe guests.
That`s sometimes a Problem. I´m not too happy with pool-cafes
Old Jul 13, 2014, 2:49 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
If a panoramic view of Victoria Harbour is important to you, I would choose the Ritz Carlton Hong Kong.

On my last visit, I booked a Deluxe Victoria Harbour view room with club access via the AMEX FHR program and was upgraded to a Deluxe Victoria Harbour View Suite at check-in.

Here is a video I took during my stay: http://youtu.be/O0vapskrIwM
Old Jul 13, 2014, 6:33 am

Programs: EX DL DM. Free Agent Flier. Virtuoso TA & Every single hotel affiliation out there.
Originally Posted by offerendum
That`s sometimes a Problem. I´m not too happy with pool-cafes
However having lived in Hong Kong and getting into many pools without staying there... the Four Seasons is the most strict about this leaving you with a calming experience at the pool without the crowds.

Most others - you can easily get in with 1. spa treatment 2. cafe guest who just happens to wander over and jump in 3. day passes
Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sarahlee
However having lived in Hong Kong and getting into many pools without staying there... the Four Seasons is the most strict about this leaving you with a calming experience at the pool without the crowds.

Most others - you can easily get in with 1. spa treatment 2. cafe guest who just happens to wander over and jump in 3. day passes
It's more about the cafe guests being able to get a free poolside show from sunbathers, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.