Search

Horizon Club @ Shangri La Singapore - Dress Code

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2014, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Horizon Club @ Shangri La Singapore - Dress Code

I'm looking at a Horizon Club Premier room at the Shangri La and I'm wondering if there is a dress code for the Horizon Club?

I've noticed at some executive clubs they say shorts for men are not allowed. We'll be on holidays and hubby will be wearing shorts for breakfast or during the day (smart knee length cotton or linen shorts, say Hugo Boss, no denim).

Also, this room is in the Tower Wing I believe. What's the best wing?

Thanks.

Old Mar 22, 2014, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Now I'm looking at Garden Wing One Bedroom suite as it has a balcony however the furniture and room look boring.

Which rooms have a balcony?
Old Mar 22, 2014, 4:58 am

Having stayed in the Tower Wing and Valley Wing I would opt for the Valley Wing.

Larger room
Excellent breakfast
Great service
Old Mar 22, 2014, 7:42 am

I agree....the Valley Wing was wonderful! Beautiful lobby bar for complimentary champagne, etc all day and a sensational breakfast in their dining room adjacent to the lobby. There is a dress code of sorts....they 'prefer' no shorts and tee shirts.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
The Valley Wing is the only part of the Shangri LA worth staying in.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Valley wing it is. Thanks for the info folks.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 6:56 am

IMHO, the Valley Wing is the best "hotel" in Singapore.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
I've stayed in all three wings over the years. I find the hotel reasonably casual and whilst I don't recall there being any dress restrictions I doubt you'd be too out of place in smart tailored shorts.

Valley wing definitely the best, but quite pricey. But difference between that and a Horizon Club room in main wing might not be that great, if so it's a no brainer! Private Breakfast room, top class rooms, butler service, all day drinks including Champagne etc. Still reasonably casual.

Garden Wing - quite like these - very tropical and quite spacious. Think they've introduced a club concept since I was last there, not sure.

Tower Wing - the main wing of the hotel and 5 star but not luxury. If I were to stop in this wing I wouldn't stay in anything smaller than the executive or premier rooms
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I've noticed at some executive clubs they say shorts for men are not allowed. We'll be on holidays and hubby will be wearing shorts for breakfast or during the day (smart knee length cotton or linen shorts, say Hugo Boss, no denim).
While I haven´t stayed at this property in particular, I´ve stayed at various hotels with a club lounge in Asia (Fairmont, Sofitel etc.)

While your husband may not be kicked out of the lounge with shorts and a t-shirt, based on the "average guest" I´d recommend long pants (e.g chinos) and a short-sleeved shirt as a minimum.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 5:20 am

Programs: points traveller
found this odd in the description of the valley wing

Complimentary minibar, excluding alcoholic beverages and snacks

what else is in the minibar besides alcohol and snacks? a few soft drinks and some water?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 5:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
While your husband may not be kicked out of the lounge with shorts and a t-shirt, based on the "average guest" I´d recommend long pants (e.g chinos) and a short-sleeved shirt as a minimum.
^

There is an unwritten code of conduct at any real luxury hotel not to wear short pants in public areas. Out of respect to the other guests. It's like using deodorant or brushing teeth. It goes without saying.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by diningdecadence
found this odd in the description of the valley wing

Complimentary minibar, excluding alcoholic beverages and snacks

what else is in the minibar besides alcohol and snacks? a few soft drinks and some water?
Presumably soft drinks, water and juices. I've seen similar policies at other hotels and such policies at many club lounges in NA.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 5:26 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by LuxuryRogue
^

There is an unwritten code of conduct at any real luxury hotel not to wear short pants in public areas. Out of respect to the other guests. It's like using deodorant or brushing teeth. It goes without saying.
There is nothing discourteous in wearing a pair of smart shorts in a public place in the daytime. As someone brought up in the tropics I can assure you that wearing long trousers during the daytime is the short route to a meltdown - long trousers were rarely seen before sundown - and believe me, I am talking about some years ago when standards were even more rigid. I suspect that it is only those from cooler climes who find shorts an odd look for daytime wear.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by LuxuryRogue
^

Problem is, it seems nowadays it's not enforced anymore.. yes, they do have the signs to wear long pants, closed shoes, etc., but it's just not enforced..
Old Jul 6, 2015, 6:15 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Problem is, it seems nowadays it's not enforced anymore.. yes, they do have the signs to wear long pants, closed shoes, etc., but it's just not enforced..
Thanks for the update/info, it's good to know. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.