Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney Hotel Reviews - Consolidated thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by pricesquire
Not exactly an original or recent conundrum, but I have a week in SYD and I'm currently deciding between FS, PH, and Langham. Decisions, decisions...
I am one of those here who would never stay at the 4S again.

Depends what you want, including location. Langham is a bit out of the way, without the grand Harbour views you'll get at 4S or PH (although it does offer some more intimate views of the middle harbour).

PH is in a touristy part of town but that probably doesn't matter once you pass through the front doors! This hotel doesn't have much competition in Sydney...

Other options - the Shangri-La is not bad (but personally I don't like the location) and the Intercon is also pretty good (and with the most convenient location of all the hotels mentioned IMHO), but mainly because of the superb views from the terrace of the executive club lounge - a lovely place for breakfast or an afternoon or evening drink when it's fine.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Baghoarder
the Intercon is also pretty good (and with the most convenient location of all the hotels mentioned IMHO), but mainly because of the superb views from the terrace of the executive club lounge - a lovely place for breakfast or an afternoon or evening drink when it's fine.
I love the club lounge at InterContinental Sydney. Suites with harbour view are comfortable but interior design is pretty uninspired.

Have you tried InterContinental Sydney Double Bay (former and renovated Ritz Carlton)?
http://www.ihg.com/intercontinental/...bout-the-hotel
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:20 am

Can anyone fill me in what's wrong with FS SYD? Never stayed, so would be nice if someone could pinpoint what the problems are.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by scented
Can anyone fill me in what's wrong with FS SYD? Never stayed, so would be nice if someone could pinpoint what the problems are.
The answer is 'just about everything'. It is really shocking. You see the logos, but it is as if you accidentally walked into a rundown Hilton. Service is fine and friendly but the physical plant is just putrid. Even the elevators suck. Rooms are small with combined shower/bathtubs. Food was terrible, and artfully so.

Thread is here. We've had a longer discussion about this very issue in the past: What are the worst RC and FS properties?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:18 am
Suspended

Park Hyatt it is! Sad to hear about the FS though...
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:22 am

The rooms and suites have been amateurishly refurbished, as though your neighbour's son had painted the walls for a holiday job. The bathrooms are positively vintage, but not in a nice way. Service tries hard. Food is inedible, which for Sydney is quite an achievement.

The Bank that owns it appears not to spend any money on it.

When it first opened as a Regent, it was excellent, but it is now just a very old, much too large monolith which would shock me even it was a Hilton.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:29 pm

Thank you, Mike and Vuittons. About time Chris Norton gets rid of that one, I guess!
Always a dead giveaway when most gallery pictures on the FS website are generic Sydney photos, rather than property-related, actual images.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:26 pm

My vote goes for PH Sydney - I'm there at least once a month and their accommodations are splendid - hard to beat IMO
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by nicolas75

Have you tried InterContinental Sydney Double Bay (former and renovated Ritz Carlton)?
http://www.ihg.com/intercontinental/...bout-the-hotel
I haven't. Not sure whether it would pass muster in this forum, although the photos of the roof terrace look inviting. If you wanted to be in the eastern suburbs it could be worth considering. Double Bay is not a particularly exciting shopping district these days, though...
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:20 am

Thank you, Mike and Vuittons. About time Chris Norton gets rid of that one, I guess!
Always a dead giveaway when most gallery pictures on the FS website are generic Sydney photos, rather than property-related, actual images.
I guess FS are looking for a new owner to build or take over something smaller and better before they get rid of the current monstrosity. I cannot believe that Chris Norton likes the place!
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by pricesquire
Park Hyatt it is! Sad to hear about the FS though...
Good choice for the location and from what I see hovering around the front on the boardwalk and looking in as I go for a walk.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:58 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
I have spent a lot of time in SYD over the past decade. For me, it comes down to two choices.

The PH is pretty much the best, almost Asian-level service...but it's location is not super convenient for business. If you will be running between meetings and back to your hotel intermittently, their location will become tiresome.

If you are there for business, particularly in finance, the IC SYD (gasp!) probably takes top billing. Definitely get a club level room....the rooftop club offers truly iconic views. (We spent NYE 2014 up there.) The building is 0-5 blocks from pretty much every bank and insurance house in Sydney. All easy walking distance. (I caveat that when Barangaroo is completed, the IC (nor PH) will not be convenient to that area.)

A final thought....if your business is just with Macquarie, the Westin (in Macquarie's building) is perfectly fine. Much more nicely done than many of its northern hemisphere compatriots.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Baghoarder
I haven't. Not sure whether it would pass muster in this forum, although the photos of the roof terrace look inviting. If you wanted to be in the eastern suburbs it could be worth considering. Double Bay is not a particularly exciting shopping district these days, though...
Not quite sure to get your point about this property, which looks definitely more luxurious than FS or SL in town.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by nicolas75
Not quite sure to get your point about this property, which looks definitely more luxurious than FS or SL in town.
Well, I think the point here is that the FS is nowhere near setting the benchmark for luxury in Sydney.

The SL is really pretty good and very comfortable. It's just the location I'm not keen on. I've had excellent service when I've stayed there and higher floor rooms have great views.

My original response had the caveat that I haven't stayed at the IC in Double Bay. Double Bay is an expensive Harbourside residential area with a slightly lacklustre luxury shopping district. It's a cab ride into the CBD. If you are a first time tourist or in Sydney on business it is unlikely to be convenient., but as I said, could be worth trying if you want to be in the Eastern suburbs.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Shangri La vs Four Seasons - Sydney

Folks-

There was an old thread, on this.. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ns-sydney.html

Hoping to hear of any updates

Any current feedback on FS vs Shangri LA? Has FS done any updates? Last time I was at SL was in 2010. FS way back in 2007.

Thanks for any new insights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.