Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice for a winter break in the sun.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Dear all, we would like to spend a week in the sun next February/March. We have already been three times to Maldives (FS Landa Giravaru and Nika - let's not mention the latter...) and once to Sri Lanka in recent years. We can't decide between going back to Maldives - maybe to a different resort - or completely change our destination: what do you think about Riviera Maya or the Caribbean? We are travelling from Italy, we are a couple in our 40s with no children . Thanks for your help.

Last edited by miciogatto; Jan 6, 2014 at 7:06 am
Old Jan 5, 2014, 5:16 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Completely different destinations!

On the Riviera Maya, I'd look at Maroma Resort and Escencia.

In the Caribbean, perhaps Ritz-Carlton Dorado Beach or Amanyara.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 5:53 pm

What about the Seychelles? Or perhaps Thailand.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Depends what you want. If it's beach/ocean, you could consider some of the Amans (Puri, Noi, Pulo, or Kila).
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:47 pm

The Ocean Club (One & Only) in the Bahamas or Jade Mountain in St Lucia
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by lottaquestions
The Ocean Club (One & Only) in the Bahamas or Jade Mountain in St Lucia
Have you actually stayed at Jade Mountain - I researched it prior to our last visit to St Lucia and frankly I thought it looked awful although I'm sure there are some aspects of it not least the view which may be great. I think it is used a lot by honeymooners who've never set foot in a luxury hotel previously. You need to read the warts and all reviews on TA to see what the hotel is truly like. I have been on Anse Chastenet beach which JM shares with Anse Chastenet hotel and I certainly wouldn't be happy there - truly awful sunbeds, very crowded and a black sand beach which is as far from the iconic Caribbean beach as you can get.

We decided to stay at Sugar Beach which we had stayed at previously when it was the Jalousie Plantation - it's now a Viceroy hotel and the accommodation there is very nice and the setting between the Pitons is heavenly.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:05 am
Original Poster

We have been to Seychelles last summer and really liked them - FS above all, forget about Lemuria on Praslin... and have already been to Thailand - Phuket, Koh Samui and Soneva Kiri in the past 10 years, during summer season, which is not the best, but really enjoyed them anyway. We could consider different properties, maybe the new ones...
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:28 am

quitecontrary, why do you have to be so contrary (joke .

Personally been to Ocean Club, friends went to JM. They raved more about the food than the rooms, and they didn't stop talking about the rooms !

From what I understand JM is above Anse Chastenet and you don't go there for the beach but for the privacy. Not only the privacy of the resort but the rooms. Why go to the beach and when you have a private infinity pool ? It's on my list for next winter...
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:22 pm

I stayed at JM back in 2009, and, unless things have changed, the main thing to know about the rooms is that they are missing the 4th wall and are open to the outside. It's a unique environment, and yes, you have an amazing infinity pool. However, you need to be prepared for birds flying in, some bugs, and the odd thunderstorm, all while you relax in your open room. There are amazing views though!
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:58 pm

I've also stayed in JM - it was not that long after they opened so definitely were some teething issues around service (although in my view that's always the case in the caribbean resorts) but rooms were spectacular. We were in one of their most expensive suites (JE1) and it was the most amazing room i've ever stayed in. The beach below is fine - actually quite good (no where near Maldives or even as a local comparison Anguilla standard, but still very nice - fine sand, clean water, nice snorkelling off it etc), but food was horrible when we were there.

Just got back from Amanpulo and once again (3rd trip in 2 years) it's consolidated it's position as my top beach choice so that would be my recommendation to the poster, unless the flights from Italy are a total pain!
Old Jan 7, 2014, 3:37 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
I'd avoid the Caribbean at all costs. That is where the phrase "island time" nearly certainly originated from. I've tried four or five islands there and never been pleased with for or service.

I continue to have safety concerns throughout all of Mexico. I might be more dour on Mexico than some, but after having a colleague nearly kidnapped from the FS Mex and being aware of a number of other tourist attacks, I wouldn't go there if the stay were free.

From Italy, I would focus my efforts on Asia/Oceania.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 8:02 am

Many years ago, in 1993 or so, a colleague and I were carjacked by the Police from the Mexico City Airport. That was quite the experience

Couldn't comment about Mexico now, but we're heading to Nizuc in a few weeks. Hopefully I won't get carjacked in Cancun.

Originally Posted by NYBanker
I'd avoid the Caribbean at all costs. That is where the phrase "island time" nearly certainly originated from. I've tried four or five islands there and never been pleased with for or service.

I continue to have safety concerns throughout all of Mexico. I might be more dour on Mexico than some, but after having a colleague nearly kidnapped from the FS Mex and being aware of a number of other tourist attacks, I wouldn't go there if the stay were free.

From Italy, I would focus my efforts on Asia/Oceania.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
Mexico City is a very different place than Cancun/Rivera Maya.

For the latter I would recommend Maroma, Rosewood, or NIZUC. For Caribbean, what about Hermitage Bay or Jumby Bay in Antigua?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA plat; SPG Gold; club 5c
Originally Posted by NYBanker

Am guessing the original poster has already made travel plans, but to add my 2c: having just returned from Amanyara, i could not agree more with NYBanker's first statement. Its the first Aman i've been to and i was shocked at how uneven the service was (more - than +) given the resort chain's reputation. That said, beautiful resort well integrated with its surroundings and very private; and the island itself has great water/beaches.

Conversely, went to rosewood mayakoba in the mexican riviera earlier this year and thought it had the best service of any resort i've been to and have strongly recommended it since. Granted, never left the complex so safety concerns not much of an issue. ocean not great for swimming and CUN airport customs is a zoo but probably the only negatives of the experience.

Last edited by DrGiggles; Mar 2, 2014 at 5:57 pm
Old Mar 2, 2014, 8:34 pm

Returned from Nizuc. Had a great time. Terrific resort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.