Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

New Amanresorts, GHM & Ahn Luh Development (2014 Edition)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Amanresorts, GHM & Ahn Luh Development (2014 Edition)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Musken
Hired to visit all Amanresorts to take pictures of them. That's a dream job!!!
Very nice job to have indeed especially as all his stays would be tax deductible! Maybe I'll start a new career as a travel photographer - only travelling in F and staying at the best places.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Musken
Hired to visit all Amanresorts to take pictures of them. That's a dream job!!!
Oh, what a terrible job Some people are lucky or choose the right Jobs....
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:01 am

I met Frédéric Lagrange last June when he had just started photographing Aman Canal Grande. He is very talented and I guess sort of takes over from Basil Pao, who did the Aman books, 1 & 2.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:01 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I met Frédéric Lagrange last June when he had just started photographing Aman Canal Grande. He is very talented and I guess sort of takes over from Basil Pao, who did the Aman books, 1 & 2.
Eagerly awaiting the next book. Asked them 3 years ago or so but no ETA. Perhaps Frederic is a sign of change.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by ainternational
Eagerly awaiting the next book. Asked them 3 years ago or so but no ETA. Perhaps Frederic is a sign of change.
No, Frederic was hired by Trina Dingler Ebert (founding Executive Director of Aman), who oversaw all the previous books. She just hired him to photograph all the Amans - no mention of a book - and given that Vlad locked Trina out of the Aman offices, I suspect that a third book is the least of everyone's worries.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
...and given that Vlad locked Trina out of the Aman offices, I suspect that a third book is the least of everyone's worries.
Suspect you are quite correct!
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:15 pm

I presume Aman Tokyo is ready to open cause was checking for availability for Aman Sveti Stefan for one week from the 10th of September and since it's probably full, availabilities in other Amans appeared and saw Aman Tokyo with even availability for these dates. Rates start at JPY92650 for a Deluxe Room and go to JPY197200 for the Aman Suite...
Regretfully nothing more, no pics and no direct access from the main page to availability. Stay tune in the next few days for maybe the first interior pics of this new property.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

venice photos >
http://kurier.at/lebensart/reise/zug...sus/79.925.464
http://www.stern.de/reise/ratgeber-h...o-2133570.html

new 6BR at amanyara >
http://www.caribjournal.com/2014/08/...anyara-resort/

amantasi was baja, probably confirmed before, but >
http://www.luxury-frontiers.com/aman...ifornia-mexico

a 2nd sales person from kerzner >
http://www.4hoteliers.com/features/article/8511
Karime Buraye has joined Amanresorts as Director of Sales North America East Coast. Buraye is the former Director of Leisure Sales for Kerzner International and Director of National Sales for Small Luxury Hotels.
http://www.4hoteliers.com/features/article/8512
Nicholas Gold is now in Puerto Rico at the Condado Vanderbilt Hotel as General Manager. For the past two years, he served as General Manager at Amangiri in Utah. He is the former General Manager at Tanque Verde Ranch and the Enchantment Resort & Mii Amo Spa.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 3, 2014 at 2:47 pm
Old Sep 3, 2014, 1:58 pm

Just saw that, too. They seem to be using Synxis now as a reservation platform.

And they have Smoking Rooms at Aman Tokyo It is Japan after all?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Amanaddicted
Aman Tokyo...availability...for one week from the 10th of September
Y92,650 for a Deluxe Room
go to
Y197,200 for the Aman Suite
interesting! i received (old) official doc in unofficial fashion, incl Rack Rates >
(44) Aman Room Y75K / Y85K
(24) Aman Suite Y120K
(16) Aman Corner Suite Y150K

Amanaddicted rates include service/tax
so suites go Y120 / Y140 / Y160
from reservations - Deluxe, Premier, Suite, Corner Suite, Aman Suite
perhaps they split original 150K into 140K and 160K based on location
i wonder what they would do it someone made a reservation and paid
https://gc.synxis.com/rez.aspx?Chain...ghts=7&Adult=1
availability calendars are nice

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 3, 2014 at 4:56 pm
Old Sep 3, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
I would love to stay at Aman Tokyo -and am going to Tokyo Sept 14-15... Maybe I should make a reservation and see what happens !
Old Sep 3, 2014, 5:32 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Amanaddicted
I presume Aman Tokyo is ready to open cause was checking for availability for Aman Sveti Stefan for one week from the 10th of September and since it's probably full, availabilities in other Amans appeared and saw Aman Tokyo with even availability for these dates. Rates start at JPY92650 for a Deluxe Room and go to JPY197200 for the Aman Suite...
Regretfully nothing more, no pics and no direct access from the main page to availability. Stay tune in the next few days for maybe the first interior pics of this new property.
Assuming that rate includes service and consumption tax, it's about 50% above rack at the other luxury hotels in Tokyo.

It's double what I pay at the Park Hyatt but I have a corporate rate.

Given the very high standard found in other Tokyo luxury hotels and throwing in the somewhat undistinguished location of the Aman, it's going to need to be really special to command those rates. My guess is only the truly addicted would pay that price to stay there.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Sep 3, 2014 at 5:45 pm
Old Sep 3, 2014, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

as i said, they are included, reservations system is very clear on that

youre saying others are ~50K++ for base room?

room size, room count, property amenities (amenities remain to be seen)

ill start working on a room size comparison (to add aman to later)

the document i saw may have been referencing 'low season' etc rates, there was something about 'rack rate minus 15%' and aman has been doing a lot of low season rates recently (and adding some full board too, at resorts)

whats going on with the office space in aman building? being occupied?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 3, 2014 at 5:59 pm
Old Sep 3, 2014, 6:26 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Given the very high standard found in other Tokyo luxury hotels and throwing in the somewhat undistinguished location of the Aman, it's going to need to be really special to command those rates. My guess is only the truly addicted would pay that price to stay there.
Location isn't THAT bad. I've stayed at the Palace Hotel across the street when I had to man a trade show booth at Big Site. I recall it being a long walk to the train station followed by a crowded ride. It was a tad awkward.

I agree that Aman Tokyo is a stretch. I'm not at all convinced Aman can do the city thing without a complete rethink. I suffer thru ASP when I'm in Beijing and I grit my teeth when I'm there. Tokyo is a whole different animal with MUCH more competition.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:46 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Location isn't THAT bad. I've stayed at the Palace Hotel across the street when I had to man a trade show booth at Big Site. I recall it being a long walk to the train station followed by a crowded ride. It was a tad awkward.

I agree that Aman Tokyo is a stretch. I'm not at all convinced Aman can do the city thing without a complete rethink. I suffer thru ASP when I'm in Beijing and I grit my teeth when I'm there. Tokyo is a whole different animal with MUCH more competition.
I agree it's not a terrible location, and there are 5 subway lines in the basement. But while the neighborhood is nice, it just doesn't have anything really interesting in it. Furthermore, I expect it would be deserted at night and on weekends.

But even if the room is 70sqmt vs 50-55sqmt at the Peninsula, say, is that worth 50% more? And yes, if you wait for sales or shop well, you can get that Pen or FS Maronouchi room for Y52,000++ much of the time. I just searched the Pen for dates chosen at random, Nov 12-14 (weekdays) and a superior room at 51sqmt was Y51,000++; deluxe at 54sqmt was Y53,00++. That's rack; if you throw in Virtuoso or FHR, you could well end up in a deluxe corner room at 69 sqmt plus breakfast, etc., and maybe even a lower rate.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Sep 3, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.