Maldives Luxury Resort (Combined) 2013/2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maldives Luxury Resort (Combined) 2013/2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: SEN LH Hyatt Globalist AA EXP
Did anyone stay at the Shangri-La Villingili?
Old Feb 2, 2014, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

afmiami, there is discussion here

Originally Posted by brokenheartsurgeon
I was surprised how easy it was in Bali to get a native 'sponsor' for a land purchase - perhaps it would be the same in the Maldives
The GM from CBR let us know the 4 bedroom owners villa still won't be available for guest residence at the end of March but we can see it in his unfinished state. We shall see.
thanks for update on 4BR

IIRC maldives government does not give resorts freehold ownership of islands, and i seem to recall reading that government also has equity in all resorts - the latter is what i was referring to earlier. (in terms of residences, not islands, there are other people, as no resort is really low density.)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 2, 2014 at 12:14 pm
Old Feb 3, 2014, 4:16 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Anyone ever stayed at the Anantara Kihavah? This was actually near the top of my wishlist on the trip to Maldives but couldn't arrange the right timing with them.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by xracer
It would be nice if the resort offered to provide guests organic, chemical-free products as well as the 'name brand' products (I recall that Reethi Rah did this when I was there last).

This way those who are only concerned about the 'name' on the product can opt for that and those of us who know better can make the wise choice.
Exactly! Reethi Rah always put the chem-free products in our bathroom, which I really appreciated. Cheval Blanc have Guerlain making theirs, which is so 1980s.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:52 pm

Goodness I'm just not quite sure where you might have had such a terrible experience with Guerlain .... you know they've been around for 175 years? Balzac's eau de toilette? The bee bottle? Orchidee imperiale? But no they're not my favourite either. Though frankly whatever cher hotelier is putting in a refillable container and leaving by your bedside table I'd be ever so slightly suspicious of - there are simply too many natural products rife with bacterial contamination.

But just to put you at ease Guerlain is the spa - the in-room products are Leonor Greyl for hair (all natural, no silicone, no parabens), Dr. Bachs remedys for oils (all natural floral-based), and a custom soap and gel that is again without additives or parabens for the body. Not quite sure where you got the Guerlain idea from.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 1:43 am

Deleted

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Dec 23, 2017 at 5:02 pm
Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:46 am

Though frankly whatever cher hotelier is putting in a refillable container and leaving by your bedside table I'd be ever so slightly suspicious of - there are simply too many natural products rife with bacterial contamination.

One of my pet hates too - I'm allergic to things like birch and some raw nuts and raw fruits so I can't use them on my hair or face just in case! In any case unless they're in a nice Murano glass container they just look cheap and nasty - all the cheaper hotels that I've stayed in in in Bali have them.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:54 am

Goodness I'm just not quite sure where you might have had such a terrible experience with Guerlain .... you know they've been around for 175 years? Balzac's eau de toilette? The bee bottle? Orchidee imperiale? But no they're not my favourite either. Though frankly whatever cher hotelier is putting in a refillable container and leaving by your bedside table I'd be ever so slightly suspicious of - there are simply too many natural products rife with bacterial contamination.

But just to put you at ease Guerlain is the spa - the in-room products are Leonor Greyl for hair (all natural, no silicone, no parabens), Dr. Bachs remedys for oils (all natural floral-based), and a custom soap and gel that is again without additives or parabens for the body. Not quite sure where you got the Guerlain idea from.
As with most historic perfume brands, they used to be made from flowers and herbs, but nowadays are made from synthetic petrochemical-based fragrances. I was told that Guerlain had been commissioned to make their products. Nice if that is not true! Leonor Greyl is a French brand, as you no doubt know. The French do not have a single totally chemical-free brand, but try to appear natural. Personally I would not use it. Bach remedies are not oils - they are distillations of herbs and florals for emotional therapeutic use, taken orally. Not sure where you got the idea they did oils?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:59 am

You have direct experience of this? I only use natural products and have never experienced bacterial contamination in 30 years. This is a scare-mongering exercise by those companies that embrace chemicals, but I guess if you are a doctor, then you would be totally au fait with the concept. In which case, Cheval Blanc should suit you perfectly. Respect for your thinking.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
The French do not have a single totally chemical-free brand, but try to appear natural.?
We're not going to have the chemical free debate again are we?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
We're not going to have the chemical free debate again are we?
Hopefully not!
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:31 am

Ummm i suppose if you didnt repeatedly refer to Guerlain as 'so 80's' i wouldnt feel the need to attempt to educate you on their historical significance. But it seems clear that you only want to disparage the brand and the hotel that carries them and apparently me by association. How sad. You are certainly entitled to loathe Guerlain for no reason whatsoever, just as I am entitled to adore them. I would question what that adds to the discourse on a hotel neither of us has stayed at?
But I would certainly challenge your notion that there is no French all natural product - that is patently untrue and similarly I would encourage you to consider that many physicians may actually practice holistic medicine and are very familiar with natural products and their risks and benefits.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:49 am

Deleted

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Dec 23, 2017 at 5:02 pm
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:13 am

On a more general note I would be curious why you find Guerlain 'so 80's'. I think you are trying to say that you dislike the branded spa approach? You prefer an independent one? So La Prairie at the RCCP, Sisley at Christopher, Clarins everywhere - all bad? Fine, I would utterly disagree as I think the products and education are better but certainly that's an opinion. I think it's helpful to try and make your reasoning for saying something explicit. It makes conversation more conducive. General disparagement tends to eliminate any possibility of response.

On a more specific note, I would hope that everyone has something to learn from reasonable discourse and again though it may shock both of you there are many many people who are far more well travelled than me...and in all likelihood you as well, and some of them may not actually post on your favourite forums with any regularity.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:29 am

deleted

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Feb 4, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.