Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:20 pm

DavidO's site inspection thread should be very helpful:

The Luxury Hotels of China
Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:49 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
That's great that you were able to get saver F award tickets

I am not as knowledgeable about mainland China as I am about other parts of Asia, but I think combining The Peninsula Beijing and Aman at Summer Palace is a great idea. Notwithstanding negative reviews, Aman at Summer Palace is still an Aman and the best you're likely to do. If they could provide transportation and packing/unpacking service you may find that moving between two hotels would not be a hardship.

Have you checked Four Seasons or Banyan Tree Hangzhou?

I agree that The Peninsula is the best option in Shanghai.

I am sure you will having amazing meals and tea tastings on this trip
Yes - the reward tickets were a stroke of luck. Guess it's possible on UA (it isn't for the most part on Delta). They're good connections too - one stop each way through ORD.

Packing and unpacking is out . BTW - DavidO is our travel agent. We talked a while ago - and we agreed to book the Four Seasons. I'm generally a fan of Four Seasons properties - and think we'll enjoy staying in that neighborhood for a week. There are also some excellent offers at that property (we booked an Ambassador Suite with Club Access for 3080 CNY = about $505).

There were some excellent deals available at the RC as well. But - in terms of choosing between FS and RC - I personally tend to stick with FS.

We'll get a guide for a few days to take us around town to explore the major sights. Poke around on our own as well. Will try the subways. And the food should be great. I'm excited . Robyn
Old Nov 19, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
I did a comprehensive review of the Fairmont Beijing in the Fairmont forum - yes, I know, mentioning a Fairmont on this hallowed forum - which seems to meet many of your requirements. Great club lounge, very good transport and dining options, no language problems at all.

Maybe someone else who has stayed more recently (I stayed almost 3 years ago) could comment on what it is like now.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by robyng
Yes - the reward tickets were a stroke of luck. Guess it's possible on UA (it isn't for the most part on Delta). They're good connections too - one stop each way through ORD.
It's great that you were able to get UA tickets at the current rates before the devaluation goes into effect! I truly loathe Delta, and try to avoid it at all costs.

I am sure you'll be well taken care of at the Four Seasons, and look forward to reading your trip report.

While you are there make a point of tasting as many wonderful teas as you can, they are truly extraordinary.

Have a great trip
Old Nov 19, 2013, 1:30 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

It's great that you were able to get UA tickets at the current rates before the devaluation goes into effect! I truly loathe Delta, and try to avoid it at all costs.

I am sure you'll be well taken care of at the Four Seasons, and look forward to reading your trip report.

While you are there make a point of tasting as many wonderful teas as you can, they are truly extraordinary.

Have a great trip
Of course - you'll get a trip report .

We will try to taste lots of teas - and also try to avoid falling for the tea room scam I've read about here (don't know if the latter story is true or not).

Hadn't heard about the devaluation. Doesn't much matter to us - because we're not much in terms of being frequent flyers these days. And - starting in 2015 - I think we'll have an issue in terms of getting decent international travel medical insurance (my husband will be 70+ then). We pretty much wiped out our Delta miles with our trip to Japan last year - and this trip wipes out most of our UA miles.

Also - I just took a look at the devaluation. Doesn't seem to affect UA bookings on UA metal too much (the partner bookings are another matter). I know many people think that First/BF on airlines like Delta or UA is sub-par - but I like to deal with a single airline when I travel to minimize any possible hassles in terms of connections/baggage/etc. Robyn

Last edited by robyng; Nov 19, 2013 at 3:13 pm
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:14 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
I did a comprehensive review of the Fairmont Beijing in the Fairmont forum - yes, I know, mentioning a Fairmont on this hallowed forum - which seems to meet many of your requirements. Great club lounge, very good transport and dining options, no language problems at all.

Maybe someone else who has stayed more recently (I stayed almost 3 years ago) could comment on what it is like now.
Too late for us - we already booked at the Four Seasons.

But it's good for people to mention their personal experiences in this thread. Thank you. Robyn
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Too late for us - we already booked at the Four Seasons.

But it's good for people to mention their personal experiences in this thread. Thank you. Robyn
Not too late especially if DavidO is your TA to combine with ASP..

AmanSP will help with your packing / unpacking too.
Their team will more than help you around / even carry you on a wheelchair - this is from personal experience which I am forever thankful for. Yes , I fell on the GW.
They will choose the best itinerary.

Because of this , we got to enjoy their private screening room a lot to ourselves ( choosing our own movies ) & the best chestnut ice cream / the usual cinema snacks.

Have a great time whatever
Old Nov 19, 2013, 4:08 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Not too late especially if DavidO is your TA to combine with ASP..

AmanSP will help with your packing / unpacking too.
Their team will more than help you around / even carry you on a wheelchair - this is from personal experience which I am forever thankful for. Yes , I fell on the GW.
They will choose the best itinerary.

Because of this , we got to enjoy their private screening room a lot to ourselves ( choosing our own movies ) & the best chestnut ice cream / the usual cinema snacks.

Have a great time whatever
I don't know. Reading between the lines - I think I'm more of a FS than an Aman girl .

Sounds bad about your fall. What happened?

FWIW - we're not planning to do the GW at all. My husband walks with a big leg brace and a cane due to his multiple sclerosis. We'll just have to content ourselves with poking around the city and trying to find world class dining . Reckon the most adventurous thing we'll do physically is finding subway stations with lousy handicap access. Note that I'm really looking forward to exploring dining in China. It's kind of underdeveloped in terms of finding places (no Michelin Guide or the like). Sounds like great fun to me (time to find a bunch of new blogs!). Robyn
Old Nov 19, 2013, 4:21 pm

Where are you staying in Shanghai? I know everyone loves the Pen but if I went again I think I might try somewhere else. The rooms are nice - we had a corner river facing junior suite which had a bit of an odd layout - a bit of dead space between the room and the bathroom which meant a long walk in the middle of the night. Of course the room was beautifully furnished and the bathroom was well appointed but I was very disappointed in the lobby area - nowhere comfortable to sit and people watch - one of my favourite activities. It was more of a mini luxury shopping mall. Service was a bit hit and miss. I'm not a fan of the Davi toiletries - maybe the top suites have something more luxurious which smells nice.

A good idea to have a club room especially for your first few nights when you will probably be jet lagged. Before we moved to the Pen we stayed 3 nights at the JW Marriott in a suite with club access - this was perfect as we were awake at the crack of dawn and flagging at 7pm. We were up at 5 am a couple of mornings and the only other occupants of the club lounge were a couple from Chicago!

As you mention restaurants in Beijing there's one restaurant I think you must try in Shanghai - Lost Heaven - there's 2 and we tried them both but we preferred the one in the French Concession -http://www.lostheaven.com.cn/outlets-restaurant.aspx?type=restaurant-french
I see from their website there's also one in Beijing.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 4:49 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
I don't know. Reading between the lines - I think I'm more of a FS than an Aman girl .

Sounds bad about your fall. What happened?

FWIW - we're not planning to do the GW at all. My husband walks with a big leg brace and a cane due to his multiple sclerosis. We'll just have to content ourselves with poking around the city and trying to find world class dining . Reckon the most adventurous thing we'll do physically is finding subway stations with lousy handicap access. Note that I'm really looking forward to exploring dining in China. It's kind of underdeveloped in terms of finding places (no Michelin Guide or the like). Sounds like great fun to me (time to find a bunch of new blogs!). Robyn
We do stay at FS too

Well, for all reading this please be cautious & take care every step on any part of the GW .
I stepped over a tiny gutter across the width of the GW ( which I was pleased to notice ) & ... stepped onto a loose stone !
It was quite a trip ..
Spent the next day in hospital ( which I tried to avoid ) checking the injury - thankfully no cast required.

AmanSP team was most caring . Trust Aman , it was best / most comfortable wheelchair I have sat on. They took awhile to locate it being an " inaugural "event
Since then , I have been ' banned ' from all Aman excursions that involve ' climbing ' & such..

Think your husband can manage part of the GW , they will advise.

When we were there, the various ASP restaurants from Japanese to French were very good. Did not try the Wine ' cellar ' at the Aman Club - likely largest in Beijing then.
The Peking duck was the best we have had in China - have had countless around the world.
Our friends from NYC joined us & had a blast.
The kids were in the screening room with ASP ' nanny ' watching over & plying them with the ' right ' amount of complimentary snacks ( the grown ups in the mean time had some ' quiet ' time exploring the real SP - well , it was crowded & not quiet ).
Then the kids did the cultural bit too - calligraphy , paper cut classes .. This is also for adults All complimentary !

The service then was fine & English was passable for the staff. ( However, retaining staff is a problem in PRC , so turnover is high even for Aman. Likely see many new faces - if not all - next time.)
No language problems with the management.

Subway not recommended , nothing like NYC or SFO ..

Last edited by FlyerEC; Nov 20, 2013 at 6:28 am Reason: Add info
Old Nov 19, 2013, 5:00 pm

Me too - I see people mentioning not seeing anyone else, the peace and quiet etc. and I don't think I could do that for more than a day or 2 - I like being around other people, being part of the country I'm in. I don't mean I never want this solitude - its alright in small doses but not for a complete holiday. The cost of course also puts me off
Old Nov 20, 2013, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
Me too - I see people mentioning not seeing anyone else, the peace and quiet etc. and I don't think I could do that for more than a day or 2 - I like being around other people, being part of the country I'm in. I don't mean I never want this solitude - its alright in small doses but not for a complete holiday. The cost of course also puts me off
The big advantage of the Aman is the private access to the Summer Palace which is quite impressive indeed.

Four Seasons of course are always very good hotels however particularly in PRC I find them to be very corporate which also does make sense given their target customers.

Even as a very regular visitor to Beijing I don't use the Metro that often as it is extremely crowded- granted it can be convenient however it is not Singapore or Bangkok in terms of public transport- more in line perhaps with Delhi.

The neighborhood the Four Seasons in indeed is considered exclusive but there is not a lot around and the area is not what I would consider particularly pedestrian friendly. The advantage of the area around the PEN in Beijing is that it is very easy to walk and there are things to see and do without taking a car.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 5:26 am

FWIW - we're not planning to do the GW at all. My husband walks with a big leg brace and a cane due to his multiple sclerosis.
Maybe a helicopter tour would be the best way to see the Great Wall and possibly other remote landmarks, and would be much easier given your husband's mobility issues.

While I understand you do not like moving between hotels, I would highly recommend that you consider staying at ASP for at least a few nights. The hotels could even do the packing and unpacking for you. While moving between hotels is a hassle, remember that it might actually save you a lot of back and forth trips when you go sightseeing.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While I understand you do not like moving between hotels, I would highly recommend that you consider staying at ASP for at least a few nights. The hotels could even do the packing and unpacking for you. While moving between hotels is a hassle, remember that it might actually save you a lot of back and forth trips when you go sightseeing.
+1
Even with a great driver and moving at what are usually lower traffic time periods it took me two hours last summer to move from the CBD (Kerry Centre) to the Summer Palace. Each way.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:11 am

Robyng,
Couldn't figure out how long you'll be staying in Beijing but I do see a 10 month period being mentioned ? If so you'll be better off at a serviced apartment eg the ascott or Frasers suite ... Both have locations in Beijing .

Which part of Beijing will you be spending most of your time at ? The east , west south or north side ? Eg amanSP is north/ west side and FS is east about 30 mins /40 mins betwn the two on the 4 ring road in ok traffic. .. Maybe to amanSP it would within the hour ... As aman is just off the " university ghetto area "

Aman is not that suited for a long stay , although if on a long holiday eg 2 weeks or so , I may consider .

For me the FS is not ideal even with the residences attached ( its basically wrongly placed and oddly located ) l , the Westin in the same area is better located with the convenience of a mall attached and next to subway line 10 (loop)

The side entrance to the summer palace at Aman is a good thing but maybe something that's overrated in that we don't need to be at the SP all the time !!

Having said that where will you be most of the time is the biggest question

The subway in Beijing is nothing short of fantastic and can take you from east to west , depending where , within approx 30 mins / 40 mins or so even with a change of train . You need to avoid the usual peak hours of course . Announcements of stops in English for those who need it , are made . As walking may be tough for husband , this wouldn't be a suitable option.

Since you're already booked at the FS , this may all be academic but its just info.( sorry for the negatives about FS) but nevertheless a nice hotel but wrong location )

You may want to engage the services of a car driver ( car incld) during your stay ( not the hotel limo)

It's getting very cold now in Beijing and the weather's been brilliant blue skies in the last week ..!! Lots to see lots to do here !

Enjoy Beijing !

Last edited by bearbrick; Nov 20, 2013 at 6:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.