Honeymoon in SE Asia

Old Oct 16, 2013, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Honeymoon in SE Asia

Hello! I am planning my honeymoon in SE Asia for Nov 2014 and am having some trouble editing down the choices. We have SPG points and Chase UR that can be transferred to various hotel chains, but likely won't use them, as we are looking mostly at properties where you can't utilize points.

We are definitely going to El Nido first and staying at the newest El Nido resort, Pangulasian Island Resort. We debated on going to Amanpulo and may still do so, but we aren't really the type that likes to be completely captive. The El Nido resorts just seem to have much better scenery and various boat tours to the surrounding islands and lagoons will keep us entertained much more than at Amanpulo.

After that, we are looking a combo of Vietnam and/or Thailand. I think it makes sense to go to some of these places, but not all, and we're looking for a mix of beach and cities. Here are the options:

Places in Vietnam: Hanoi (Sofitel Metropole), HCMC (Park Hyatt), Hoi An (Nam Thai), and Amano'i.

Of those, I'm not particularly interested in the cities, but Hoi An and Amano'i are high on my list. I'm worried that there won't be enough variety, however, and we'll get bored going from one beach resort to the next. Most likely, we'll do Amano'i and one of Hanoi/HCMC, but is Hoi An a must-see?

Places in Thailand: Chiang Mai (4S), Phuket (Trisara/Amanpuri)/Krabi (Phulay Bay or Rayavedee). Already been to Bangkok and am not a fan.

Would Phuket/Krabi just be just like El Nido (except more touristy)? I'm open to just skipping it if it's too redundant and just go to Chiang Mai (everyone seems to rave about it). Also, I am unsure if Phuket or Krabi would be the better place to stay. The Phuket resorts are more upscale but the natural scenery seems a lot more stunning over on Krabi. Is Trisara/Amanpuri worth giving the better natural scenery on Krabi? I suppose one could just take a boat tour during the stay. Or should I split it up and do a few days on Krabi and a few in Phuket.

Any input on how to edit down these choices would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old Oct 16, 2013, 9:51 pm

How long will you be traveling? I would need at least a month to visit that number of places, if not more time. I rarely stay anywhere for fewer than four nights, and usually spend at least a week at resorts.

I would skip El Nido altogether, and stay only at Amanpulo.

In Thailand, I would choose either Phuket or Krabi, but not do both.

I would cut out Nam Hai and Park Hyatt Saigon.

Perhaps consider adding Amantaka and/or Amansara.

Remember you don't need to ge everywhere on a single trip, as you will want to save some destinations/resorts for future trips. Less is more.

You will need to book Amans and other resorts in advance, but for some of the other places you mention availablity might not be a problem. When traveling I like to leave some dates open so I can either extend stays where I am, or choose to go eslewhre at the last minute. In SE Asia this is rarely a problem outside of peak season.

Bangkok is a wondeful city, I feel sorry for anyone who is "not a fan"

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Oct 16, 2013 at 10:09 pm
Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:57 pm

I once did an interesting combo with Amanpulo, a night in Manila, then a week at the Palau Pacific Resort - that's in Palau, an independent state in Micronesia. Extraordinary place. The hotel is excellent but not luxury in the terms of this Forum. Then I came back via Hong Kong.

Personally, I think a lot of these SE Asian beach resort areas like Phuket, Bali and so on have lost their charm and interest for me. However, I'd go back to Amansara at the drop of a hat.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:29 am
Aman Contributor Badge

You write that you are looking for a mix of beach and cities. I think it will be helpful to know what you want to do while you are there, what do you want to see, what kind of excursions interest you and how much do you just want to relax on the beach. And, as others have said, for how long are you going away?
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by yat3
Already been to Bangkok and am not a fan.
What was your problem with Bangkok ?
Old Oct 17, 2013, 1:08 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL PM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I'd go for the Metropole over the Park Hyatt.

Hoi An is quaint but a total tourist trip. Might be nice at 6 am.

Amanoi over Nam Hai... no question.

Boat trips to the islands are nice at Phulay Bay, but Trisara and Amanpuri are much nicer resorts.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by 5khours
I'd go for the Metropole over the Park Hyatt.

Hoi An is quaint but a total tourist trip. Might be nice at 6 am.

Amanoi over Nam Hai... no question.

Boat trips to the islands are nice at Phulay Bay, but Trisara and Amanpuri are much nicer resorts.
November would be a good time for excursions to the Similan Islands, so I would choose Amanpuri or Trisara if available. Otherwise a Royal Beach Villa at Phulay would be nice. Soneva Kiri or Four Seasons Samui would also be good choices.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
November would be a good time for excursions to the Similan Islands, so I would choose Amanpuri or Trisara if available. Otherwise a Royal Beach Villa at Phulay would be nice. Soneva Kiri or Four Seasons Samui would also be good choices.
Have not been to Soneva Kiri. Agree on FS Samui. Service is very good at Phulay, but the resort is just not that attractive. I would definitely go for Puri or Trisara. Puri is my favorite.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses so far. To follow up on some questions, we are open on scheduling, probably going for 20-25 days total. For the beach resorts, we like to take boat excursions to neighboring islands for swimming/scenery and tend to get bored with just sitting around the room/resort areas. That's the appeal of El Nido as opposed to going to Amanpulo and being completely just stuck on one island. As for the cities, we mostly like walk around different neighborhoods and eating/drinking. Sightseeing and paying for activities (like cooking classes, yoga, etc) are not high priorities and we don't intend to do much shopping. There is nothing wrong with BKK at all and I enjoyed my stay there, but I don't really feel a burning need to go back the way I do with some other cities.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 1:12 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by yat3
Thanks for the responses so far. To follow up on some questions, we are open on scheduling, probably going for 20-25 days total. For the beach resorts, we like to take boat excursions to neighboring islands for swimming/scenery and tend to get bored with just sitting around the room/resort areas. That's the appeal of El Nido as opposed to going to Amanpulo and being completely just stuck on one island. As for the cities, we mostly like walk around different neighborhoods and eating/drinking. Sightseeing and paying for activities (like cooking classes, yoga, etc) are not high priorities and we don't intend to do much shopping. There is nothing wrong with BKK at all and I enjoyed my stay there, but I don't really feel a burning need to go back the way I do with some other cities.
My experience (from Philipines, Maldives, Seychelles and more) is that neighboring islands are not attractive paradise islands as one thinks. Either they are islands where locals live (can be interesting for a short visit to see their houses and lives, but the island is "theirs" and one cannot just come as tourists to swim and sunbathe there) or not as beautiful as one would have hoped for once you get closer (very dense and wild jungle, not at all possible to walk there and quite dirty and uncomfortable beaches - there is a reason that beach boys are needed at lux resorts....) From Amanpulo you can go on island hopping, visit the closest island to see a traditional village, go to the sandbank where Amanpulo sets up the most wonderful picnic, go on fishing trips, snorkel or dive and go out to the floating house to enjoy and have drinks and food. In addition there is a number of on-island activities (spa, gym, special dinners, several restaurants, pool/beach, walking or driving your own buggy around the island etc.) This was more than enough to keep us busy and happy for 8 nights. It is just a wonderful place to be and my best memory ever. I think it would be a perfect place for a honeymoon. They also have a special romantic ceremony at the beach and the most wonderful private beach dinner.

However, I have looked at the site of El Nido and it does indeed look as if they do offer a wider number of opportunities to visits nearby islands, beaches etc. and the scenery looks beautiful, so maybe maybe this is better for you if you find such things to be more important than going the the most perfect resort with the best possible service and comfort. Would be interesting to hear if someone has been to both this and Amanpulo.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 1:20 am
Aman Contributor Badge

For cities and walking around on your own plus eating/drinking, it is important that you find a central hotel and a city where you are walking or very short drive distance from everything.

For me Bangkok is perfect with regards to this, Singapore is less exotic, but the dining is great and one can go to Chinatown/little India etc. for some interesting on-your-own "light" sightseeing. However, rest of Singapore is very modern and developed. Not yet been to any Vietnam cities, will go in March and can report after this.

From our resent trip to Laos and Cambodia I can, however, highly recommend Amantaka and Amansara. Both very central and possible to explore on your own, as well as daily very good outings to see temples, villages, river/lake etc. Food options outside hotel are plenty, but there is a compulsory charge for half board so we ended up eating in all the time.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 3:45 am

So a couple of thoughts.

1. I would echo Musken's comments on Amanpulo. It's a very special place. I was very happy there for an extended stay, but there's not really any off island activities. I did a fair amount of diving, which I had not done much of before. It is a great a very easy place for diving. I had not done been much of diving fan before, but the marine life there is so amazing, I started feeling like the ocean surface and beaches were deserts after being under water.

2. If you like island excursions, taking a long tail boat from Phulay Bay is great. Go early in the morning to avoid crowds. The resort and beach are not great at Phulay Bay. Amanpuri at Trisa are much nicer, but it's takes longer and is a more of production to go on island excursions.

3. I'm like you and enjoy walking around rather than "sight-seeing." You might want to think about Phnom Penh. I find that much more manageable and interesting. Siam Reap, etc. are pretty touristy. Some of the regional cities in Thailand are interesting as well but other than Chiang Mai, there are not a lot of luxury hotel options.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:06 am

I'll second what MikeFromTokyo said, if you are worried of getting bored at the beach, some more cultural destinations like Chiang Mai / Rai, Luang Prabang or Siem Reap could be a nice change a rythm. Plenty of luxury options.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Musken
Would be interesting to hear if someone has been to both this and Amanpulo.
Yes, I'm curious about that as well. The scenery around El Nido reminds me of Krabi, but more pristine. The Pangulasian Resort is the latest El Nido Resort and looks like their most luxurious so far (it's also not cheap, about $800/night for a pool villa), but a search on this forum hasn't turned up any results. Obviously Amanpulo would be a better resort and we're struggling with whether to prioritize better scenery over a better resort, particularly since we're going to various destinations and will have the opportunity to prioritize the resort aspect of it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.