Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Galapagos

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2013, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
im talking about silversea corporate service training and possibly supervisory issues that go beyond ethnicities of crew. i experienced casual service with no problems on seabourn. on silversea i experienced service problems, fake formality, attitude, "no" and arguing. underlying procedure problems.
OK, I understand what you are saying, but this doesn't really relate to expedition ships or Galapagos type cruising. There is no formality on these ships, fake or otherwise, it's just for people who want to see wildlife and that, really, is the only reason to go to these islands.

By the way, the sea temperatures here are really chilly - it's on the equator, yes, but there are currents here which sweep up from the south and which makes penguins happy.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pausanias
OK, I understand what you are saying, but this doesn't really relate to expedition ships or Galapagos type cruising. There is no formality on these ships, fake or otherwise
if your impression is that im talking about guests or guests' dress, im not.

it seems silversea acquired an entire local company. so it depends on how they adjust procedures to fit silversea. and whether they transfer staff etc. silversea's procedures are problematic.

on silversea galapagos pages >
elegant sophistication
butler
country club
silversea expedition pages >
http://www.silversea.com/expeditions...lised-service/
white-gloved staff
= fake formality

2008 silver explorer
2013 silver galapagos - just started one week ago on sep 28...
2014 silver discoverer

training that is not reality based, where the emphasis is on procedure

i believe i had a great look at this (in hospitality industry) on silversea, which also has an issue with putting on an air of formality, or at least what their travelers consider that to be, without actually being formal, and not even trying to maintain the appearance continuously.

ironically, i considered seabourn casual, and silversea wasnt much more formal. i dont recall seabourn having any real problems, let alone due to a focus on procedure. (or at least that was what silversea staff were taking away from training.) while seabourn was not luxury, silversea had some major service failures
my point was regarding services failures on top of misrepresentation.
Originally Posted by Pausanias
I totally agree with this. I think maybe a resort might be OK for a few days before or after a cruise but not just as a stay-put. The most upscale cruise option in the Galapagos right now would be Silversea's Silver Galapagos or Lindblad Expedition's ship, Endeavour, which also does year-round trips.
i can understand the brand ranking of silversea
but why lindblad / national geographic over all other operators?

its too bad one of the operators you frequent didnt buy instead of silversea
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaiss...aissance-class

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 6, 2013 at 2:34 pm
Old Oct 6, 2013, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
One of the best travel agencies I ever dealt with set up my Ecuador/Galapagos/Peru trip.

www.galapagosholidays.com

The agent knew the specifics of each boat traveling around the island, hotels at each stop, and had long established contacts with local tour guides and companies. They set things up perfectly for me, transfers, flights to the islands, etc. We chatted, they got a feeling for the type of trip and accommodations I wanted, and even recommended sights I would have been foolish to miss.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
OK, but my point is that regardless of how appropriate the hotel is, it is just the wrong way to visit the Galapagos.
"Wrong"? Really?

The Iguana Crossing on Isabella is a nice 4-star hotel if you can get over the burden of incorrectly experiencing a vacation.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yahtzee
"Wrong"? Really?

The Iguana Crossing on Isabella is a nice 4-star hotel if you can get over the burden of incorrectly experiencing a vacation.
what about 'not most effective'

did you do daytrips to other islands?
i see fast boat is 2 hours between isabela and floreana
and you can fly to isabela via san cristobal (in addition to santa cruz)

http://www.galapagospark.org/pn.php?...o_sitios_guias
http://www.galapagospark.org/onecolm...devisita_index
"70 terrestrial visitor sites and 75 marine visitor sites"
if only they listed operator options for each. seems like potentially an incredible amount to research. i cant imagine any other destination compares in terms of amount of potential research.

luxury question - it isnt possible to "hire" a naturalist guide at a daily rate?
Old Oct 7, 2013, 5:05 pm

what about 'not most effective'

did you do daytrips to other islands?
i see fast boat is 2 hours between isabela and floreana
and you can fly to isabela via san cristobal (in addition to santa cruz)

luxury question - it isnt possible to "hire" a naturalist guide at a daily rate?
We flew between two of the islands - staying on Isabella and San Cristobal (avoiding the more touristy Santa Cruz). You can (and must) hire a naturalist (ours was a weekly rate and he flew with us). Did land tours and day trips to other smaller islands or parts of the bigger ones.

I'm sure you would see more by doing a cruise for part of the trip. That wasn't desired by our group.

The "wrong" surfaced my general view that there's often too much snark/snobbery on this otherwise-helpful forum.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We flew between two of the islands - staying on Isabella and San Cristobal (avoiding the more touristy Santa Cruz). You can (and must) hire a naturalist (ours was a weekly rate and he flew with us). Did land tours and day trips to other smaller islands or parts of the bigger ones.

The "wrong" surfaced my general view that there's often too much snark/snobbery on this otherwise-helpful forum.
to clarify, this was an official naturalist so no other naturalist needed to visit sites? and they told you scheduling options based on timeframe? with daytrips im curious re how far one is able to go from the islands with accommodations. or if there can be seaplane or helicopter transfers as well.

luxury hotels forum is by far the [most polite] forum compared to any other forum on the internet that ive seen, and many here have said something along those lines. [many here do not use other forums.]

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 7, 2014 at 12:19 pm
Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:49 am

to clarify, this was an official naturalist so no other naturalist needed to visit sites? and they told you scheduling options based on timeframe? with daytrips im curious re how far one is able to go from the islands with accommodations. or if there can be seaplane or helicopter transfers as well.

luxury hotels forum is by far the best forum compared to any other forum on the internet that ive seen, and many here have said something along those lines.
I certainly agree with the overall value of the forum.

Right, you need one official naturalist and that's really all you need. We used a local service who designed the trip, hired the guide (who was outstanding) and set up the schedule based on time allotted. I saw no evidence of sea planes or helicopters.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right, you need one official naturalist and that's really all you need. We used a local service who designed the trip, hired the guide (who was outstanding) and set up the schedule based on time allotted. I saw no evidence of sea planes or helicopters.
thanks!
curious what the farthest day trip you did was.
re schedule, seems like one is subject to other visitors' schedules as well.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...omdenmark.html
also did red mangrove on isabela and santa cruz (but not floreana)

i wonder if galapagos factors sanitation into permitting (unlike rest of world) >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cruis...nspection.html
of course galapagos has a number of ~5+ cabins yachts, which are a different situation.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 18, 2014 at 5:45 pm
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:36 pm
Community Director Emerita

I'm in the early days of figuring out a trip to the Galapagos. How agile does one need to be to transfer from a ship to the Zodiac and from the Zodiac to land? Yes, I am a klutz.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I'm in the early days of figuring out a trip to the Galapagos. How agile does one need to be to transfer from a ship to the Zodiac and from the Zodiac to land? Yes, I am a klutz.
The well-trained crews will ensure a safe transfer. On my cruise, there were a couple of severely handicapped individuals who nevertheless managed to board the ship and the zodiacs, with crew help.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:10 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Second that, on any any decent ship it shouldn't be a problem.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:59 pm
Community Director Emerita

Thank you, that's very reassuring.

Originally Posted by JetAway
The well-trained crews will ensure a safe transfer.
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Second that, on any any decent ship it shouldn't be a problem.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: luxury traveler
Galapagos

Pikaia lodge: I am seriously considering a trial "soft stay" this August (pre-opening). We will travel as a family of four, two adults and two children (eight yr olds). The rate quoted for the seven night experience is over $21,000 (excluding air)
as we are required to take two rooms and they are minimum double-occupancy, max two adults and one child. Any thoughts or advice about how to experience more and spend less in this area? I liked the idea of a luxury perch in such a remote area with private excursions but the price seems steep...
Old Jun 2, 2014, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by chicagocat
Pikaia lodge: I am seriously considering a trial "soft stay" this August (pre-opening). We will travel as a family of four, two adults and two children (eight yr olds). The rate quoted for the seven night experience is over $21,000 (excluding air)
as we are required to take two rooms and they are minimum double-occupancy, max two adults and one child. Any thoughts or advice about how to experience more and spend less in this area? I liked the idea of a luxury perch in such a remote area with private excursions but the price seems steep...
Seems very steep. not sure if it is worth it as you will spend little time at the resort (doing day trips, etc.). Call and ask whether they have a room that accommodates 2 adults + twins - e.g. Sanctuary Lodge Machu Pichu lodge will do this if the kids are small.

Last edited by erik123; Jun 2, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.