Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Do you have a minimum room size that is acceptable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I have also found that room service are hopeless when it comes to suites - they are used to leaving the trolley and setting it up as a table, but when you have a big dining room, they seem unnerved by it. I often have to tell them to set up the meal on the table!
Thanks for 'trolley', I knew that 'rolling table' was not the right english word but I was not able to remember how to say!

Last edited by Pierre&Cédric; Sep 20, 2013 at 8:30 am
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
In city hotels I always have in-room breakfast, and I never really understand why I am asked "shall I set breakfast on the main table or shall I leave everything on the rolling table?"

Obviously if there is a proper table I much prefer brekfast to be served on it, even if I understand it is additional work. And I hate when they leave the rolling table by the side (my english is not very good today, I hope you still understand what I mean), they shall leave with it.

Shangri-La Paris...we were brought rolling tables upstairs, with necessity for the waiter to go up & down several times. I did not dare to ask why he was losing so much time and energy instead of using appropriate service entrance directly at the right level.
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I have also found that room service are hopeless when it comes to suites - they are used to leaving the trolley and setting it up as a table, but when you have a big dining room, they seem unnerved by it. I often have to tell them to set up the meal on the table!
service procedural problems - at what hotels/companies? (besides SL paris)

as usual no problems with your english Pierre&Cédric, at least from my perspective as a native speaker of american english. if you were just referring to "rolling table" heck i might say that myself, whenever theyre used as table.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 20, 2013 at 11:36 am
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
as usual no problems with your english Pierre&Cédric, at least from my perspective as a native speaker of american english.
Agreed.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
- I hate suites that are made up of two, tiny cramped rooms. Rather just give me one decent sized room!
Absolutely!
In St.Regis Mexico City I was recently upgraded to an executive suite just to find out that both rooms were unbelievably small. The living room was so small that I coudn't look at the TV from the sofa (placed against the wall on the opposite side of the room) because i was so close by that I coudn't focus on the whole tv screen
I immediately asked to be kindly "downgraded" to my grandeluxe room.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 1:21 pm

St Regis DC is similar; the metropolitan "suite" is a corner oversized room with a great bathroom layout, the nominally better Astor suite is two minuscule rooms with no bathtub.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by nba1017
St Regis DC is similar; the metropolitan "suite" is a corner oversized room with a great bathroom layout, the nominally better Astor suite is two minuscule rooms with no bathtub.
There are multiple Astor suites. I haven't been in all of them, but the corner ones have a pretty decent sized bedroom. The sitting room is pretty small however.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 4:51 pm

For a short trip which is not a special occasion where I am not receiving guests, I can be quite content with a room of this size and layout.

Old Aug 20, 2016, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by simpletastes
For a short trip which is not a special occasion where I am not receiving guests, I can be quite content with a room of this size and layout.

At some hotels a Junior Suite. You can't say much against this layout. Sofa, dressing room and bathroom with shower and tub. Only it miss a separate living room and a second sink.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 5:54 pm
Original Member

My minimum is a junior suite but in most venues I book a suite. How lavish a suite depends on cost and length of stay. There are two of us so the more room the better.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:28 pm

Generally speaking I book at least a Premier Room, Junior Suite, or Executive Suite depending on the hotel, length of stay/time on property, and rates.

I agree with the floorplan posted above as a good example of the attributes I look for in an hotel room.

Spacious room(s) with a proper sitting area including sofa, coffee table, arm chairs.

Comfortable work desk.

Bathroom with separate stall shower, enclosed toilet, bathtub, and ideally two sinks.

Ample closet space, preferrably walk in.

If a suite, additional powder room off of living room/entry foyer.

--

Design is sometimes more important than sheer amount of space. A well designed 35 square meter room can feel comfortble and user friendly, while a poorly designed 100 square meter suite can feel cold, uninviting, and be a waste of space.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by KatW
My minimum is a junior suite but in most venues I book a suite. How lavish a suite depends on cost and length of stay. There are two of us so the more room the better.
Especially Junior Suites are often "problematic" A "room" with 50 sqm is mostly much better than a Junior "suite" with 35 sqm.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:59 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
I think 35m2 is the absolute minimum and for stays where I am outside most of the time. Usually, I only gets comfortable starting at 50sqm.

I nowadays prefer Junior Suites and open plan design rather than suites with partitioned walls that feels claustrophobic.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BENLEE
with partitioned walls that feels claustrophobic.
Depends on the suite
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For me, it depends. I'll accept less space in notoriously expensive cities that are known for small rooms, like Paris and Tokyo. Of course it depends how the room is arranged and furnished and how the space is divided between bedroom and bathroom. For me the real minimum is a desk with serious desk chair and a comfortable overstuffed chair with good lighting and a convenient table for coffee cups and wine glasses plus ideally an ottoman (or a comfy daybed or small sofa with table and light). It's not always possible but I want a bathroom with separate tub (deep please) and shower stall, two sinks, and sufficient counter space with a lighted makeup mirror. I also want some sort of coffee machine and a refrigerator or minibar with a tiny bit of space that can be used is nice too. To repeat, I want a nice bathtub. [Please no contemporaty design over function shallow bathroom sinks, especially with no stopper and especially if they consume all the counter space, no matter how nice they look.]

Why can't hotel websites give the floor plan as part of the room description, at least in properties where most rooms are close to identical? Also, why can't they be explicit aout tub and/or shower, number of sinks, etc.

On my first trip to Stockholm I happily had a tiny single room with one twin bed. It was in the attic of the Grand Hotel and had amazing views as it was located several floor above their best suites. I suspect that it was a maid's room in former times but for me at that age it was perfect. I've also had some small rooms in idiosyncratic castle hotels that were great even if they weren't large and might not even have been luxurious in the traditional sense.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why can't hotel websites give the floor plan as part of the room description, at least in properties where most rooms are close to identical? Also, why can't they be explicit aout tub and/or shower, number of sinks, etc.
I always like floor plans. FS and (mostly) RC are good excamples. But there are also a lot of negativ excamples. I think they hurt themselfes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.