Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotels in Israel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2013, 6:30 pm

Here are a few more photos from their Facebook page:

Atrium/public space on the top floor:

Another public lounge space upstairs, leading out to the rear terrace. Our suite was accessed by the door on the left. We made that entire floor our living space, as we were alone in the hotel during our stay:

Our suite:

The bathroom is a self-contained area with a deluxe standing rain shower and toilet that's positioned just behind the dividing wall where the flatscreen is displayed. The downside for some might be the lost element of romance when someone goes to the bathroom, as the wall does not extend all the way to the ceiling, making it somewhat of an open space. The sink and wash are are to the left, just outside of the bathroom itself. Then there's the antique tub with views overlooking the sea to the right. The bathroom thing was not an issue for us, but I imagine some might be less than pleased with it. There are plenty of fancy marbled powder rooms strewn throughout the top floor though, should you need another for any reason.

Another view of the room:

The lovely terrace overlooking the ancient Crusader sea walls:

Old Dec 27, 2013, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Thanks for posting the detailed review, OliverB!^

I´ve visited Acre in the past (though only as part of a day trip) and thought it was a very interesting place, though probably not an "obvious choice". Seems like there´s a new hotel I need to check out during my next trip.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 4:24 pm

You say this is the best hotel you have experienced in the Middle East; may I ask, aside from SS Ma'in - at which I have stayed - which other ME properties have you visited?

From looking over the site, the hotel looks luxurious but not particularly "special" (something I would say for many Four Seasons, as an example, as well). But you are so enthusiastic, so I am curious to know more.

Thanks you!
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by aa213bb
You say this is the best hotel you have experienced in the Middle East; may I ask, aside from SS Ma'in - at which I have stayed - which other ME properties have you visited?

From looking over the site, the hotel looks luxurious but not particularly "special" (something I would say for many Four Seasons, as an example, as well). But you are so enthusiastic, so I am curious to know more.

Thanks you!
I think it's a very special place; the building itself was restored from a bombed-out (during the intifada; talk about a serendipitous discovery!) 18th Century Ottoman palace with excavated Crusader ruins beneath. Quite a unique setting for a luxurious boutique hotel. I can't imagine there's any place quite like it.

In Egypt, I've stayed at the Four Seasons Sharm El Sheikh, Mena House Oberoi, Adrère Amellal, Al Moudira Hotel and the Four Seasons Cairo.

I've stayed in a pasha suite at the American Colony Hotel in Israel, as well as several other properties that aren't really worth mentioning, such as the Mizpe Hayamim and several properties in Tel Aviv.

In Jordan, we stayed in the presidential suite at the Ma'In Six Senses, a private villa at the Kempinski Hotel Ishtar w/ outdoor jacuzzi overlooking the Dead Sea (the whole place felt like an upscale club med resort, yuck!) and the top suite at the pretty crummy (albeit best option) Movenpick in Petra.

In Turkey, I've visited Hotel Les Ottomans, Gamirasu Cave Hotel and the Cappadocia Cave Resort. The Amanruya was not yet finished at the time.

I've sadly not made it to Syria, which was really the only other country of interest in the Middle East for me, and I don't suppose I will be visiting any time soon. The Liwa Desert along with Dubai were on my list at one point, but I really don't have much desire to return to that part of the world with all the ongoing regressions in human rights and disappointments I've experienced.

Anyhow, that list doesn't really say much as there really are very few luxury hotels that exist in that part of the world, with the exception of Egypt. I can say without question that of all the properties I've visited, The Efendi in Akko was the most enjoyable for both my wife and myself and the one place we would eagerly return. We might return to a few others out of convenience or personal preferance based on the alternative options (for instance, the American Colony in Jerusalem was quite nice though not remotely comparable) but this is the only "destination property" in the country and region for me.

It's very much an escape. The hotel is very small and you really feel as though you are staying in a private mansion or palace, especially if there are few bookings during your stay. The design of the rooms and layout of all of the public spaces make the hotel feel very open and spacious in a very comfortable way. I have stayed at castles in Europs (many in rural France) that felt unwelcoming and cold with their lofty oversized rooms filled with disportionate antique furnishings. I enjoyed these unique experiences immensely, however I would not rate them as comfortable world-class hotels. The Efendi is unlike that. You'll feel as though you just want to plant yourself in every room of the property, and we did just that - whether it was with a glass of wine or a cocktail, a book, conversation, etc. The building is designed very much like Aman in a way that every window is perfectly framed to look out over breathtaking panoramas of the azure colored waters of the Mediterranean and the sunsplashed rooftops of the old town like a perfect portrait. As I'd mentioned earlier, the service is extremely proficient and warm, without ever feeling unnatural or overbearing. The staff is genuinely friendly and very personable. It's also not uncommon to find the big man himself, Mr. Uri, on site. In which case, he's always eager to offer a personal tour of the property and chat about the history and restoration of the building, the town, etc. It's quite obvious that this hotel is his "special project" and that he takes great pride in it - he should!

Getting back to your earlier question, The Efendi is really not comparable with any other hotel in the region; at least none that I can think of. If you're looking for a romantic weekend retreat with pampering, spa & hammam services, wining and dining, etc. in luxurious settings and you appreciate historic architecture and the colorful and culturally rich environment of the old city, then you've come to the right place! It's far removed from the tourist circuit, although next to Safed, both my wife and myself actually found the old town to be the most interesting site we'd visited in Israel. We saw countless ruins from Caesaria to Ben She'an and Masada, not to mention all of the ancient sites around Jerusalem and crusader castles in Jordan... however we were really not that impressed. My wife has traveled to over 50 countries. We've both traveled extensively throughout Europe, have visited all of the ruins of Rome, Greece, etc. Nothing in Israel really packed any WOW factor for us. Petra was beautiful but we didn't feel it was entirely worth the added extention to our trip, although we may be biased for a number of reasons only partly related. Nonetheless, we found the Crusader ruins of Akko to be very cool! The old city walls and fortresses are really a sight to behold and incredibly unique. I've really not seen anything like it anywhere in the world and the further we ventured into the ancient underground city, the more we were impressed by where we were. I really feel that Akko should be on everyone's itinerary when visiting Israel. It's easy to overlook because it's such a tiny coastal town and the fact that the old city is entirely muslim probably doesn't encourage the Israeli tourist board... but everyone should visit if able!

Last edited by OliverB; Dec 28, 2013 at 12:02 am
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:59 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
The Ritz-Carlton, Herzliya

Have a stay booked for next week at the (new) first (Kosher) Ritz Carlton in Israel.

Not much out there, about this (new) property :

video

article

Any insights, or recent experiences? (I did start the "official" thread in the Marriott forum; but figured it might also be nice to have some conversation "luxury related" over here)
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:00 am

Programs: Miles & More, Executive Club, American Express Membership Rewards
baccarat_king - how was your stay at the RC Herzliya?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:11 am

We are back from Israël, luckily enough the situation was calmer when we were there. We stayed 4 days in Jerusalem, and 4 days in Tel Aviv. I did not follow advices from FT and I was punished for that

In Jerusalem we stayed at King David which is a poorly run property, far from international luxury standards. And in Tel Aviv we went to the Dan, equally average and overpriced hotel.

Nothing much to say in addition to my TA reviews here under.

Next time (already planned) we will stay at Mamilla in Jerusalem and the Norman in Tel Aviv (their grand opening was postponed thus our stay at the Dan).
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:14 am

The King David - Jerusalem

We were booked in a deluxe room (old city top floors) and were upgraded to a mini suite.

The good
- the room layout is well thought, not a lot of light but nice sitting area, large bedroom with plenty of storage space, bathroom with separate tub and shower (with dual shower heads).
- the concierge service is very efficient and knowledgable
- la Regence restaurant serves excellent dishes with good service
- the garden and pool area is a perfect oasis after sightseeing in the heat of August
- spa is very small (actually it is 2 treatment rooms adjacent to the gym) but we had excellent massages performed by professional therapists at reasonable cost (300 shekels for 60-minute)
- Gym equipment is up-to-date and the attendant is very helpful

The bad
- housekeeping is poor to the point that the hotel is dirty (corridors are not vacuumed every day, stains in the bathtub, etc.). Turndown service was not performed daily and bathroom amenities were replenished on a random basis. Same for towels (with holes). Maintenance is lacking => even renovated rooms are already starting to show their age.
- considering the positive comments on TripAdvisor I was expecting a nice breakfast buffet but it is nothing more than any standard five-star hotel. Service looks bored and not welcoming. Food quality is average.
- King's garden and Pool Snack shall be avoided. Poor service and inedible food.
- pool service is non-existent
- complimentary minibar is a nice touch but it was not replenished a single time during our 4-night stay. I would prefer to pay and have more choice + full stock. Coffee & tea in-room facilities could be added (especially in suites).
- complimentary Transfer from the airport organised by the Concierge with TLV VIP company was barely ok. Their representative at the airport did not show up at the indicated meeting point so we had to call and wait. He did not help with luggage either. Again I would prefer to pay and choose the car and receive good service.

Surroundings
- There is an ATM located in the Kind David Court (2-minute walk from the hotel) where you can withdraw shekels, USD or EUR.
- The Jafa gate is a 15-minute walk. You pass by the David Citadel Hotel and you cross the Mamilla shopping arcade and there you are! The location is perfect!
- Mamilla hotel has two very good restaurants: Rooftop at the 8th floor which offers a beautiful setting outdoor with a view over the Old City and serves modern cuisine with fresh and friendly (yet professional) service, and the Mamilla Café which is great for lunch with simple dishes at very good price (salads, pasta, pizzas, etc.)

Overall impression
King David could be a fantastic place but their definition of 'luxury' and 'service' is stuck in the past; they fail to meet basic expectations like cleanliness. Only one of their three restaurants is worth it. The pool of the King David is the only reason to stay there should you come at Summer time.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:15 am

Dan Tel Aviv

We arrived at the Dan Tel aviv directly from Jerusalem. We had requested the King David concierge to arrange a car transfer but he simply called a taxi, and rate was higher than expected (350 shekels asked by the driver instead of 300 indicated by the Concierge).

The good
- Compared to the King David service at the Dan Tel Aviv was a pleasant surprise. No attitude and no bored waiter, all staff was welcoming and trying their best to grant us a nice stay
- Breakfast buffet was great. Same group as the King David so I guess same purchasing team but strangely enough (in a very positive way) the breakfast buffet at the Dan was much better and more appealing (in terms of presentation / taste & quality / diversity)
- Location in the centre of the beach promenade is perfect
- Pool terrace is nice

The bad
- the room (we stayed in an executive sea view) is dated, actually the whole hotel is very 60s. The bathroom is very tiny, with shower / bathtub combo.
- we asked to see other room/suite types. We were shown executive suites at roughly $1300. First one was renovated, but the second was not, and both layouts were very different. Should you choose this category, ask for details in order to be sure you're making the right choice. We were also shown a terrace suite on 3rd floor with a view over the beach from the side of the hotel. Price tag was $1850 which is too high considering the value. The only suites with terrace I would choose are the ones at 5th floor in the beach wing (closest to the beach).
- the gym is too small with only 3 different types of cardio training equipment and limited free weights area.
- there is no direct access to the beach. In the old days it seems there was one (special level with 'beach exit' is indicated in the lifts). But today they just ask you to use the main lobby on Hayarkon street, turn left and go down the side street to reach the beach
- lounge could be a great feature but the choice is too limited
- Spa is ok but don't expect anything luxury
- No laundry on Saturdays. I understand the religious aspects but I expect a 5-star property to offer constant large range of services whatever the day of the week.

Overall impression
Shall I go back to Tel Aviv at summer time I would probably still choose the Dan just because there is not enough competition to force old hotels into evolutions (may be the Carlton but location is less good, same for InterContinental David).
During the rest of the year I would choose a place in the city centre near Rothschild boulevard, plenty of boutique hotels seem to cater the needs of modern luxury travellers in a much better way.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:20 am

While I have experienced such amazingly genuine warmth and hospitality throughout my travels in the ME, I've yet to experience such in Israel.

While I have not stayed at The King David, I'm sad to say I'm not at all surprised by your description of the service.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Thanks for the reviews. Having stayed at the Dan Tel Aviv I think your "looks like a 1960s hotel" is a little harsh, but I'd agree the common areas and some of the rooms would benefit from a makeover.

Personally, I found the rooms / common areas / service to be a notch better at the David Intercontinental, but as you point out the location may not be ideal (although it's great if you want to walk to Jaffa).
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by aa213bb
While I have experienced such amazingly genuine warmth and hospitality throughout my travels in the ME, I've yet to experience such in Israel.
As a Jew with extended family (third cousins) who've lived in Israel since WWII as holocaust survivors, I can impartially say that Isaraelis are neither the friendlist, warmest, nor the most service oriented.

Next time I recommend staying at The American Colony in Jerusalem. It's an Arab run property and with the exception of The Efendi which is in a class of it's own, it's the only hotel where we experienced warmth, hospitality, and proficient service in the whole of Israel.

The AC also has one of the prettiest sun splashed courtyards and we were lucky enough to have a suite with two seperate balconies overlooking it. There's no better setting for an aperitif at dusk (before calling the house car to dinner) or an espresso beneath the lush pink and red flowering trees in the mornings, alongside the resident friendly neighborhood cat.

Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:55 am

Btw, I never posted this cell pic taken at The Efendi but it is NOT filtered in any way shape or form. The color of the bath water is what comes out of the tap! I've never seen anything like it before; it looks as though they've tapped the glacial waters of Lake Louise. The view out of the windows is of the ancient ramparts and Mediterranean. It's also perfectly situated to catch the first rays of morning sunshine as it peeks over the horizon. I can't imagine a better way to start the morning!

Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by OliverB
Next time I recommend staying at The American Colony in Jerusalem. It's an Arab run property and with the exception of The Efendi which is in a class of it's own, it's the only hotel where we experienced warmth, hospitality, and proficient service in the whole of Israel.
Thank you for the advice. AC seems indeed to be an excellent hotel, but location made me doubtful when we had to make our choice. Is it ok to stay in the East part, even during this troubled time?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
Thank you for the advice. AC seems indeed to be an excellent hotel, but location made me doubtful when we had to make our choice. Is it ok to stay in the East part, even during this troubled time?
It's in fact the safest place to stay as it's considered a "neutral zone" and historically this is the hotel that foreign correspondents and journalists have chosen to stay at; especially when covering turmoil and past "wars" betwen Israel and Palenstine. Technically it's considered the "Christian Quarter" I believe, so you're really in the safest part of town. As mentioned, it's also the only hotel that I know of in Jerusalem that's entirely Arab-run so not only do you get superior service, but also added piece of mind during these times, if you chose to visit. As for location from a purely logistical standpoint, I actually loved how the A.C. is situated just outside of the hustle and bustle. Old Jerusalem is anything but a place of transquility and as soon as you step out onto the streets you can cut the tension in the air with a knife. It's crowded, noisy, and people generally tolerate one another at best. It's not the friendliest of cities. The American Colony however, is a civilized oasis and place of refuge. It's a very short (and inexpensive) ride to just about anywhere you might want to go within the city borders and the hotel's car services run extremely efficiently. Best of all is that we'd often just have our cabs charged directly to our room bill so we wouldn't need to deal with cash and could charge everything on card. Their drivers are friendly and helpful, their cars are clean, and they maintain their high standard of service even at this level. We'd typically wake up in the mornings, go down to the courtyard for breakfast and coffee (or mimosas) and then take one of the house cars to a museum or neighborhood to sightsee and tour. I'd often go to the front desk 15 mins. in advance (before finishing our drinks in the inner courtyard) and let them know where we'd be going, and they'd come and get us when the driver was ready. It was never longer than a 10-15 minute wait. We'd do the same every evening to get to restaurants, the market, etc. The front desk always offered fixed prices in advance which was nice as well. Most taxis fares are settled between driver and passenger beforehand rather than based on a meter, so there's no concerns about overly ambitious drivers taking advantage of tourists when it's arranged through the hotel. After having stayed at The American Colony and toured Jerusalem extensively, I would never think twice about staying anywhere else.

Last edited by OliverB; Aug 23, 2014 at 11:57 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.