FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Print Wikipost

Amanoi (Vietnam)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2013, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Looks like they have updated some of the pictures on the website. They look much better than the earlier ones.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 5khours
Looks like they have updated some of the pictures on the website. They look much better than the earlier ones.
aman has a bunch (28?) properly linked already >
http://www.amanresorts.com/album.aspx?id=2147487425

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 9, 2013 at 12:57 pm
Old Sep 7, 2013, 9:03 am
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
matches satellite >
When I originally saw the satellite picture, I thought the beach villa pool was a second beach club pool. Bummer (but not if you're in the beach villa!).

Also, reviewing the resort map, it looks like some of the pools in the pavilions are 'non-standard' (i.e. not a pool that runs parallel to the pavilion itself). Look at units 2, 6 and 17. These intrigue me.

5khours, I wonder if you've had a chance to look at these and if so, what are your impressions?

Last edited by xracer; Sep 7, 2013 at 9:13 am
Old Sep 7, 2013, 10:47 am

I'm going to try to keep this one a little shorter.

There are two main dining facilities: the Beach Club and the main dining room at the Central Hall. Both are beautiful outlets. The Beach Club is outdoor dining and you have choice of indoor or outdoor dining at the main restaurant. The main restaurant has a great outdoor terrace with beautiful views, which is great place to eat.

Outdoor terrace of the main restaurant

I've mostly done breakfasts and lunches at the Beach Club and dinners at the main dining room.

The food choices are either western or Vietnamese, and since I'd been eating so much Vietnamese food before coming, I've mostly had western food. A couple of the meals have been outstanding and the rest have been very good. In general I would say the food is on par with most of the other Aman resorts, but not yet as good as the best Aman resorts. Also at this point, the menu selection is still very limited.

The staff is extremely friendly if still a little inexperienced. They've done a good job of getting people trained. I'm sure it's been a huge challenge getting wait staff and cooks hired and trained when no one within 100km of the resort has ever heard of an omelette, a club sandwich or a martini to say nothing of knowing what they're supposed to look or taste like. I was really expecting inconsistent and slightly awkward service, but the service is very good (more on this in a separate post).

Overall, the dining experience is very solid, but I would not put it in the inspirational or sublime category. Given though that they have just opened and are so far off the beaten tourist track, I've been very impressed and pleasantly surprised with the dining.

QUICK UPDATE - Tonight I had a fantastic dinner: lobster and pomelo salad (one of the best things I've ever tasted) followed by snapper steamed in a banana leaf with herbs and then wrapped in rice pancakes and dipped in a chilli sauce. It was one of the best dinners I've ever had anywhere.
This terrace looks quite spectacular, very "Gathy" style and what a wonderful and breathtaking view... Just regret not to see any flowers on the tables...
Old Sep 7, 2013, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Amanaddicted
This terrace looks quite spectacular, very "Gathy" style and what a wonderful and breathtaking view... Just regret not to see any flowers on the tables...
I agree, though I also suspect it's early days and Susan will have that (or, at least, some types of centerpieces) sorted fairly soon.

To 5khours, thank you again for your report. TV aside - which has been discussed ad nauseum by now - the interiors look wonderful. Am really now debating an Amansara/Amantaka/Amanoi circle-tour next month.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by aa213bb
I agree, though I also suspect it's early days and Susan will have that (or, at least, some types of centerpieces) sorted fairly soon.

To 5khours, thank you again for your report. TV aside - which has been discussed ad nauseum by now - the interiors look wonderful. Am really now debating an Amansara/Amantaka/Amanoi circle-tour next month.
It will be a wonderful trip and you will have three very different Aman faces... I know already Sara and Taka and plan to visit Amanoi with Amantaka in March 2014. Too bad there is still no flight between LPQ and SGN...
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:15 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

I am not sure that the pictures have changed (or I might have looked at them so many times that I do not see it ;-). However, my experience is that the pictures look better after I have been somewhere, because I "see" what is around, have good memories etc.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there are more pics than there were at first, originally. think original are still there.

re TV - i would ask to move if not remove (before i arrive) then move back if necessary upon later request.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 15, 2013 at 11:01 pm
Old Sep 7, 2013, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by xracer
When I originally saw the satellite picture, I thought the beach villa pool was a second beach club pool. Bummer (but not if you're in the beach villa!).
Pool in the Beach Villa is very nice. Great view of both the ocean and hills.

Also, reviewing the resort map, it looks like some of the pools in the pavilions are 'non-standard' (i.e. not a pool that runs parallel to the pavilion itself). Look at units 2, 6 and 17. These intrigue me.

5khours, I wonder if you've had a chance to look at these and if so, what are your impressions?
While the pavilions themselves are identical, there is some variation in the layout of the pool. 17 for example is rectangular but it's at the back of the unit rather than the front and has a much larger deck. 18 has a square pool with a beautiful view up into the mountains.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 10:11 pm

Is the Lotus Lake is artificial? The Spa looks quite amazing. Finally Aman is really taking care about having a proper Spa. I've heard Amanjiwo will try to upgrade the Spa facilities in the future.
I'm pretty sure Amanoi will be one of the most stunning and special Aman properties and in a few months, when everything will be settled about service and little details, it will be an absolute paradise.^
Old Sep 7, 2013, 10:13 pm

Pool in the Beach Villa is very nice. Great view of both the ocean and hills.

While the pavilions themselves are identical, there is some variation in the layout of the pool. 17 for example is rectangular but it's at the back of the unit rather than the front and has a much larger deck. 18 has a square pool with a beautiful view up into the mountains.
Interesting to have a square pool like at Amanruya but is it not too small?
If pool big enough, will try to get Pavilion 18. Thanks for the details 5khours.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

going back to pavilions, i wonder if any are oriented in such a way that bed is facing towards ocean, with a view out far windows. also agree with xracer #2 might be interesting, but dont know which one has best view in general. thanks again 5khours for the various details and comparisons.

Originally Posted by Pausanias
Aman-nam.
heh, nice.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 15, 2013 at 11:01 pm
Old Sep 8, 2013, 4:52 am

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
Thanks 5khours for the photos and detailed trip report, and to seiknujnama too. Amanoi here I come!
Old Sep 8, 2013, 4:52 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Amanoi (Vietnam) - Trip Report

Incredible report...

Sigh. Still waiting for my first Aman experience in February.... But we will visit 3 at least...

FDW
Old Sep 8, 2013, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Incredible report...

Sigh. Still waiting for my first Aman experience in February.... But we will visit 3 at least...

FDW
I suggest you to start with Amantaka in Luang Prabang (4-5 nights) if you fly from BKK and then go to Amansara in Siem Reap (3 nights) before to end with a beach break at Amano'i in Vietnam (5 nights) via Ho Chi Minh City where you can stay at Intercontinental Asiana or Villa Song for a couple of nights. I think this is the easiest way for air transfers. I know already Amantaka and Amansara which are some great properties but I love so much Luang Prabang I could spend a week there. For Amano'i, it seems to be a very special place... Have a lovely trip and don't hesitate to send me a message in private for more details.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.