Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Print Wikipost

Amanoi (Vietnam)

Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:40 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by 5khours
I received the Amanoi opening announcement while in Saigon (HCMC) on business so I shot off an email to Aman to ask how soon they would actually be open. On September 2, I got back a "How about mid-October?" email to which I replied "How about tomorrow?" A few hours later, Aman came back and said that would be fine. Great!

I booked a Vietnam Airlines (VN) flight on the web for the next morning. There are a few flights a day from SGN to Cam Ranh (CXR) which is located just south of the city of Nha Trang. You can also fly from Hanoi and Danang, which is convenient if you're visiting other parts of the country. It's a short flight, 45 minutes, and the domestic air system in Vietnam is quite good (no worries) and very cheap (SGN>CXR $50 in Y and $100 in J).

A lot of my travel is short last minute trips so getting somewhere quickly and easily is high on my list of my priorities. It's nice to have convenient flights, but I wasn't really looking forward to the 90 minute drive to the resort noted on the Aman website. (And BTW, unlike other some other Aman resorts, airport transfer is not complimentary).

An Aman representative met me at the airport with a Toyota SUV. I was expecting a German sedan, but as it turns out that would not have been very practical.

The first part of the drive is south down the main National Highway (1A) through CamRanh and adjacent towns. It's pretty typical Vietnam...shops and houses. The "highway" is an undivided two lane road with a lot of scooter and truck traffic and not a lot of attention paid to being in the proper lane.

After about 30 minutes, the driver announces we're taking the "shortcut," and turns off the highway. We drive through some scenic paddy fields and a small village along the coast on very narrow, occaisionally paved and often very rutted roads before heading up into the mountains on a new half constructed very bumpy and rocky "road" that made me wonder whether the Toyota Fortuner was going to be up to the job.

Fortunately we soon hit the section of the new road that's been completed and runs all the way down to Vinh Hy. It's about 40 mintues to Vinh Hy, and the drive is spectacular. It's a brand new very good road along the shore and cliffs overlooking the ocean. The scenery is beautiful and reminds me more of the Mediterranean or California coasts than it does of SE Asia. The whole section of coast there is pristine and completely unspoilt. No farms or houses, not a single shread of litter, and we didn't see another car the whole way down to Vinh Hy. It's worth the trip just for the drive alone.

Shortly before arriving at Amanoi, you pass through Vinh Hy, which is a very quaint and scenic little fishing village.

I'm headed to the beach now, but will add some photos to this post later and also update the other sections of the report as I have time.
Thanks much for making time for this brief - instead of keeping us in suspense!
Glad you are enjoying the beach.. looking forward to the next installments :-:

Hope the rest of the road will be ready by next month..
Looking forward to hearing from you in person - Amanpuri Amanjunkie Oct gathering
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Thanks much for making time for this brief - instead of keeping us in suspense!
Glad you are enjoying the beach.. looking forward to the next installments :-:

Hope the rest of the road will be ready by next month..
Looking forward to hearing from you in person - Amanpuri Amanjunkie Oct gathering
I'm guessing it will take 6 to 12 months to finish, but the bad section is very short and a bit of an adventure.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 3:42 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

5khours ^

This is certainly the most exciting thread in this forum right now (for me at least, with a confirmed booking for Amano'i in December and very very eager to find out more about the resort...)
Old Sep 5, 2013, 5:14 am

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
Have just booked my flights to SGN. My Amex TA says there are no negotiated FHR rates for Amanoi yet.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by vienna-resident
5khours ^

This is certainly the most exciting thread in this forum right now (for me at least, with a confirmed booking for Amano'i in December and very very eager to find out more about the resort...)
For sure. I keep refreshing!!!
Old Sep 5, 2013, 7:40 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gegarrenton
For sure. I keep refreshing!!!
+1 ^
Old Sep 5, 2013, 10:16 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by Ozchinois
Have just booked my flights to SGN. My Amex TA says there are no negotiated FHR rates for Amanoi yet.
The hotel is doing an Ad-Hoc program for the various amenity groups. Email direct and ask if they'd give you an Amex program. Virtuoso worked for me thus far with my first booking
Old Sep 5, 2013, 10:51 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ABG
The hotel is doing an Ad-Hoc program for the various amenity groups. Email direct and ask if they'd give you an Amex program. Virtuoso worked for me thus far with my first booking
Can I ask what the Virtuoso amenities are? They did not know yet when I made the booking.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:45 am

looks amazing

Planning to visit Amano'i by early 2014.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Sep 8, 2013 at 9:43 pm Reason: Review posts completed, removing anticipatory comments to promote continuity
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

fantastic, thanks 5khours!

Originally Posted by 5khours
On September 2, I got back a "How about mid-October?" email to which I replied "How about tomorrow?" A few hours later, Aman came back and said that would be fine.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 16, 2014 at 3:51 pm
Old Sep 5, 2013, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

if this means you are retired, there are many here who work/travel very long hours.

I'm not sure how you'd deduce that many here work/travel very long hours unless you know them personally. Apart from a few who are associated with the travel industry the rest of us are completely unknown entities.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 2:53 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by vienna-resident
Can I ask what the Virtuoso amenities are? They did not know yet when I made the booking.
Ask your friendly Virtuoso agent who booked you.....

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
I'm not sure how you'd deduce that many here work/travel very long hours unless you know them personally. Apart from a few who are associated with the travel industry the rest of us are completely unknown entities.
even those known travel industry people work very long hours
Old Sep 5, 2013, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ABG
great info, thanks.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 16, 2014 at 3:48 pm
Old Sep 5, 2013, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
Originally Posted by ABG
Thanks will do.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:04 pm

All reservations at Amanoi are handled by Aman concierge in Indonesia at this stage. So nothing can be negotiated more than the Opening rate and no upgrading will be extended. I prefer to wait until the property itself can handle the booking cause always easy to book directly with the GM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.