Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amalfi Coast Hotels, Italy: which one?

Old Aug 20, 2013, 1:00 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

For years, I've seen pictures of the iconic view from hotels along the Amalfi Coast. In 2014, I want to be in one of those rooms looking at that view. I've read all the threads covering hotels on the Amalfi Coast. I've done a downselect to four of them. Now I'm dithering. And dithering.

What is important to me:
  1. Stunning sea view
  2. Comfortable room (can't afford suites, but still want space and view)
  3. Comfortable spaces to sit and relax/read on the property outside of the room
  4. Good food - would like to eat onsite for at least a meal or two

What isn't important:
  • Access to beach
  • Swimming pool

Hotels I am considering:
  • Monastero Santa Rosa
  • Il San Pietro di Positano
  • Le Sirenuse
  • Santa Caterina

We will also spend a couple nights in Ravello. There, I've already chosen the Palazzo Avino.

Where have you stayed, and what is your opinion, considering what matters to me?
Old Aug 20, 2013, 9:59 pm

Programs: QF CL
Great choice in Ravello. You'll certainly enjoy the view there!
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:34 am

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
Il San Pietro for sure.
It has a michelin starred restaurant
it has a private beach (a great plus on the Amalfi Coast, trust me)
It has a pool, even if it is small and located on the top of the hotel...i found it a bit unconfortable).

GREAT views...all rooms have front sea balcony.

I have been staying many time in almost all the luxury hotel of the coasts and still believe Il San Pietro is unbeatable....

Very good choice you have made in Ravello.
feel free to ask for any additional info you might need.

Santa Caterina does not have a beach but a solid platform with direct access to the sea...they do no have as well really a pool but a large tub located in the same platform.
That said it is a very nice hotel but it cannot compare (imho) with Il San Pietro.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:33 am
BLV

Hi SanDiego,

Let me second what The_Daddy has said and I'm actually typing this from Il San Pietro, a hotel I'm visiting for 7th consecutive year.

FWIW, checked in today after an almost week stay at wonderful Grand Hotel du Cap Ferrat (and made a lunch visit to du Cap Eden Roc as well) while on a quest to make sure that my declaration of Il San Pietro as the best seaside destination is more or less balanced. And to sum it up, I've yet to find a property that would make me want to continue coming back as much as ISP does
Old Aug 23, 2013, 9:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Love La Siraneuse. I would stay at the Caruso in Ravello.
wrenwu likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 8:12 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Amalfi Coast Hotels: which one of these four?

Ravello has some amazing gardens - you will love it!
Old Aug 24, 2013, 9:34 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Had one of the most memorable meals of our lives at San Pietro in Positano. True beauty on every level.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 4:03 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

It's not on the OP's shortlist, but I really enjoyed Hotel Villa Tre Ville in Positano. Service was excellent, great food, beautiful views, the rooms quite big with great bathrooms, and the ambiance of the whole place felt like being back in the Golden Era. The estate belonged to an Italian composer, but was just recently completely refurbished.

The have a complimentary house shuttle boat to transport guests between the Positano marina and the hotel.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 4:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I think of Le Sirenuse as the classic in this genre, but I don't personally know the other choices on the list.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Le Sirenuse is the only one of these at which I have stayed, and I loved it. Strangely, when I look at your list of criteria, it doesn't come out so great -- the room was comfortable but small, restaurant just OK -- but the view from the terrace was great and service excellent. I really felt like a special guest.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ot-missed.html >

Il San Pietro >

Originally Posted by The_Daddy
Which one is THE Hotel not to be missed absolutely in a life time. That property that, absolutely, you MUST see at least once.

I don't mean to give rules, but It will be appreciated just ONE hotel, THE Hotel, in your eventual post.

I'll start myself: to me THE hotel not to be missed is "Il San Pietro" in Positano.
Reclamed to the rock it is a unique architecture that meld within nature. Every room is sea front view with a terrace and you get one of the most impressive view of the planet when, at sunset, Positano starts lighting on.
Originally Posted by BLV
Same place for me as well

Palazzo Sasso/Avino >

Originally Posted by Baghoarder
On this basis I would say Palazzo Sasso in Ravello. Not the biggest or best rooms and bathrooms I have ever seen but the staff there make it so special. Many of them seem to have been born in the village just down the hill, which I appreciated for the local quality it brought. I found the service to be absolutely world class, while still being intimate and relaxed and very much "of its place".

And the view.... We arrived there in the dead of night after long travel delays caused by Italian air traffic control strikes. I will never forget my first sight of the sun striking the water as I threw open the windows on our first morning. A meal or drink on the terrace is a wonderful experience.
------------

Originally Posted by vienna-resident
It's not on the OP's shortlist, but I really enjoyed Hotel Villa Tre Ville in Positano. Service was excellent, great food, beautiful views, the rooms quite big with great bathrooms, and the ambiance of the whole place felt like being back in the Golden Era. The estate belonged to an Italian composer, but was just recently completely refurbished.

The have a complimentary house shuttle boat to transport guests between the Positano marina and the hotel.
great to hear, thanks!! i thought it looked pretty incredible, and i know there are a bunch of opera aficionados here, so i posted when i came across it > http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post16309428

(back to il san pietro, BLV has posted lots of great pics in several threads, including the one i just linked, if you look at the post immediately before the linked post)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 26, 2013 at 8:52 am
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:39 pm
BLV

Here are few more Il San Pietro views for you from this/last week. Thunderstorms provided for some dramatic skies (0 photoshop, resized & sharpened only):

Main terrace from the room, which has the views on Positano (right) & Praiano (left):

View on Faraglioni from the main entrance (where you take the elevator down to reception):

Last edited by BLV; Aug 30, 2013 at 5:35 pm
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:45 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Mesmerizing. Thank you.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Makes me want to return immediately.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 7:41 am

Amalfi Coast

Il San Pietro is the best of these excellent hotels!!!
My wife and I consider it one of our favorite hotels in the world.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.