Amalfi Coast Hotels, Italy: which one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amalfi Coast Hotels, Italy: which one?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:06 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
^
Thank you for the photos , cruising by in Oct . Really looking forward but won ' t get to stay but perhaps visit these properties . Otherwise , we have these photos .. to enjoy
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:44 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Platinum, Inspirato, UA Spouse of GS,Amanjunkie,Starwood Platinum,Hyatt Diam
Great pictures! I am here now at Le Sirenuse and then headed to Santa Caterina. Will do a full post once I am back.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:59 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Fantastic photos as everyone has said. You got game. Enjoy--can't wait to hear the TRs when you get back!
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:50 pm
BLV

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Some places are just too easy to photograph. Here's a quick iPhone pano and as far as a TR, I've been staying there every year for almost 10 years now, nothing new to add, I obviously love the place

Old Aug 31, 2014, 8:02 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Platinum, Inspirato, UA Spouse of GS,Amanjunkie,Starwood Platinum,Hyatt Diam
Amalfi Coast Hotels, Italy: which one of these four?

For anyone interested, you can follow me on twitter @elitetraveler1a - I have posted lots of photos from Le Sirenuse and Santa Caterina. Especially of our suite. Lots of interesting items to share and will be doing a full trip report when I return. Also met the the GMs at each property. Ciao!
Old Aug 30, 2015, 4:51 pm
BLV

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

Monastero Santa Rosa, Amalfi
This hotel opened in 2012. I saw articles in all the travel magazines almost immediately, and was intrigued. The owner saw a ruined monastery when boating along the coast. She bought it and spent 12 years making it into a luxury hotel. There are only 20 rooms. We were told that they are all the same size, the size of a nun's cell. Thus, I booked an entry room here. The restoration has kept a feel of the monastery yet has a very fresh and cool look to it. The rooms are indeed small, and we spent no time in ours other than sleeping. The grounds are what are absolutely extraordinary here. There are several narrow terraces that drop down to the infinity level swimming pool at the lowest one. Each terrace is immaculately landscaped with fragrant plants. There are a couple areas for sitting at each level. There is a bocce court at the top level. There is an open air workout room on the level below. We appreciated the free parking and the van service anywhere in Amalfi.
This property's only disadvantage is that it's yet another bird nest atop the coast. But then again, had it not been for its location, that magnificent infinity pool wouldn't have been possible. I loved the look/feel of the hotel so much that I'm thinking of doing 1 or 2 nights there next year. As I mentioned in another thread, I had two dinners there and while food wasn't spectacular, the location, setting and atmosphere made for a great time. I loved the design and finishes of the property. Unfortunately, didn't get to see any rooms but from roaming around the hallways I get a feeling that I won't be disappointed. Here are a few iSnaps from the restaurant last week or to be more precise, literally from the table:

Old Aug 30, 2015, 4:54 pm
BLV

And an update on Il San Pietro. The only change this year is the color of the cushions on the terrace:

Old Apr 24, 2016, 5:38 pm
BLV

NYT article from few days ago talks about 36 hours on Amalfi Coast. Interestingly enough, only (as far as luxury goes) Le Sirenuse & Monastero Santa Rosa are mentioned:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...tionfront&_r=1
Old May 14, 2016, 12:46 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FS Preferred Partner, Belmond Bellini Club, Stars, Ritz Carlton, Rosewood, A & K, Starwood
I love these varying opinions!

If you only have a few days on the Amalfi Coast, I would enjoy hearing the ONE property where you would stay. It is such a blessing to sample a few properties, but which property would pick if you could only stay at one?
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TopFlightGal
I love these varying opinions!

If you only have a few days on the Amalfi Coast, I would enjoy hearing the ONE property where you would stay. It is such a blessing to sample a few properties, but which property would pick if you could only stay at one?
I am partial to Palazzo Avino in Ravello. I love San Pietro...but to me, Positano is better to visit in summer than stay. Very hot and no space outside of the hotel. Palazzo Avino is partially because I am in love with Ravello, but the hotel is exquisite. Caruso next door is awesome, but I love the beach club of Avino.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:39 am

Palazzo Avino.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 1:57 pm

I am partial to the Monastero but you need to remember that the "great" views of the AC are actually those from the water.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:49 pm
BLV

"If you only have a few days on the Amalfi Coast, I would enjoy hearing the ONE property where you would stay"

Depends on whether sea access is important. If yes, then Il San Pietro and Il San Pietro only (not to mention that their beach restaurant accessible to hotel guests only comes highly recommended. I've really stopped venturing out for lunch, it's that good). If no, it's probably Le Sirenuse.

Also, if you want to spend those few days on AC not venturing out of the hotel then it's Santa Rosa. If you want to be able to leave the property and have somewhere to walk around then Palazzo Avino in Ravello. But then again, both of these properties are technically not ON the coast, but high above it.

Last edited by BLV; Jun 25, 2016 at 2:18 pm
Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:58 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Palazzo Avino has a cute little "beach club" BLV... provides for somewhere to relax closer to the water while being able to return at the end of the date to those Ravello views
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ABG
Palazzo Avino has a cute little "beach club" BLV... provides for somewhere to relax closer to the water while being able to return at the end of the date to those Ravello views
That was the reason PA has my vote. It's not direct access...you take a 10 minute shuttle, which you need to reserve during high season, but it's actually a fun little ride down the mountain. The beach club has literally the best pizza I've ever eaten, three different platforms where you have a solid amount of personal space, a wonderful little area to jump off into the sea and swim, free kayaks to explore, a great pool with a world class view, and cute/elegant indoor spaces. Just make sure you use the restroom before you sunbathe, lest you climb the 100 or so stairs back up!

We woke to a wonderful breakfast at Palazzo Avino, headed down to the beach club for 3-4 hours, sat at the hotel bar watching the sun dance off the water below after we returned, and then strolled into town for some excellent dinners for each of the five nights we were there. Stayed in Sorrento the four nights prior, and explored the rest of the AC aggressively from that base so we could relax and do nothing in Ravello. Perfect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.