Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amalfi Coast Hotels, Italy: which one?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 6:14 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Is it possible to drive to the Palazzo Avino? I've just read that cars have to park in the square near the Duomo.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 6:36 pm
BLV

I don't think so and this is part of Ravello's charm - no cars.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Is it possible to drive to the Palazzo Avino? I've just read that cars have to park in the square near the Duomo.
IIRC the hotel is reached via a narrow street. It is theoretically passable/accessible for cars (we were brought to the door by our driver) but I can't recall any parking just there.

The square is a very short stroll away. If I were you I'd drive as close to the hotel as I could and then just leave parking to the hotel staff to deal with for you.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Baghoarder
The square is a very short stroll away. If I were you I'd drive as close to the hotel as I could and then just leave parking to the hotel staff to deal with for you.
Thank you. Very helpful. It allays my concerns about a half hour hike up steep streets and stairs carrying luggage. (OK, that's a slight exaggeration, but the concern was there.)
Old Apr 3, 2014, 7:43 pm

Programs: QF CL
Thank you. Very helpful. It allays my concerns about a half hour hike up steep streets and stairs carrying luggage. (OK, that's a slight exaggeration, but the concern was there.)
You're welcome.

I don't think you'll have a problem, not least because it is not the sort of property where they would allow you to carry your own luggage any distance at all.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 3:50 am

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
SanDiego1k you can arrive with the car at the hotel door (as I have done a few times in the past). I recommend to give front desk a call while on the way to inform them and have a bell man to be there for you waiting otherwise you might be forced to stop the car in the middle of the narrow street and enter the lobby to look for someone.

They'll park the car for you.

To add details the main parking as you have noted is close to the Duomo Square...actually a level below this square and form there to the Via del Toro you will have to climb a few stairs, cross the duomo square and then climb the long stairs just side of the Duomo that goes up to Via del Toro, where Palazzo Avino is.

To reach the hotel with the car...as you are entering Ravello and you see the parking direction in front of you, turn left on a street that go slightly uphill and it will take you right to Via del Toro.

Last. as you are entering Via del Toro, there is a very small square where you can park and this is just a few steps from the hotel...it can accommodate maximum two car and is always pretty busy.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 9:00 am
Original Poster

The_Daddy, thank you for explaining that so clearly. I've printed it out and put it in my trip file.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 8:06 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I just want to add my thanks for the pictures. Have never stayed at San Pietro but was there for lunch once over 10 years ago - the pictures bring back fond memories - the view was amazing.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
The_Daddy, thank you for explaining that so clearly. I've printed it out and put it in my trip file.
You are welcome and not hesitate to ask for any kind of info on the area.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum Executive, LH Frequent Flyer
I think you should also consider Casa Angelina in Praiana (just got back from a a stay there). While rooms are tiny and the hotel is not as grand as the ones you mentioned, the service is excellent (one of the best I ever experienced, even better than some Amans or FS), the food is to die for, but especially the views are jawdropping (and IMHO better than those at Ravello). Praiana is located on a rocky outcrop and has the best view of the whole Amalfi coast and Positano. In addition, the hotel is oriented towards the west (enjoying sun until sunset) and is located above a small cove with a tiny beach. Highly recommended, and my favorite hotel on the Amalfi coast!
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:45 am
BLV

Praiano
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:59 am

We just returned from 4 sensational nights at Palazzo Avino. Our suite, the service and the views were all over the top! Tiny, charming town where you walk everywhere. Actually, they apparently used to have donkeys for those that needed transporting! At the Palazzo Avino, Antonio, and the entire staff can't do enough for you. And the bartender, with his 65 different martinis......
Old May 3, 2014, 10:56 am
Original Poster

I chose these properties:

Ravello - Palazzo Avino - 2 nights
Amalfi - Monastero Santa Rosa - 1 night
Positano - Il San Pietro de Positano- 2 nights

I was very pleased with the properties and the order in which I visited them. I somewhat unwittingly chose a property in each of the three major bases in the region. It gave us a great opportunity to see each without having to drive back and forth between them.

We flew into Naples and rented a small car, a Fiat Panda. Roads are excruciatingly narrow and it is important to have as small a car as you can. We drove thru the mountains to Ravello. It was a twisting, narrow road, but traffic was light. You can see upthread that I was quite concerned about how to get to the hotel in Ravello. Our GPS directed us to the door of the Hotel Caruso, less than a block walk to the Palazzo Avino. There was a little square where it was easy to briefly park the car. I walked into the Caruso, and staff kindly called our hotel. A bellman quickly arrived and took charge of the car and our luggage.

Our next stop was the Monastero Santa Rosa just north of Amalfi high in the hills. We did not know that May 1 was a holiday throughout Europe. Apparently this time is more crowded along the coast with lots of local travelers than August. Traffic was crazy and our last two hotels were sold out. We had to be very patient and willing to drive very slowly, but in time we got to the Monastero. They provided van service into Amalfi. It was great to leave the driving to someone else and to not need to worry about parking. It took 40 minutes to drive us from the hotel to our restaurant in the center; normally they said it took 10 minutes.

It was easier to drive on to Positano, or just before it, where the Il San Pietro de Positano was on the water side of the road, built into the cliffs below view of the road. Their tiny chapel is visible from the road. Again, the hotel provided van service to the edge of Positano. From the drop off point, you walk down a steep road past cafes and shops to the harbor and the many ferries to Capri, Amalfi, and other places. We walked past Le Sireneuse on this road. We stopped in for an afternoon beverage, and thought it looked in serious need of freshening. We were glad we chose Il San Pietro.

Our final drive will be back to the Naples Airport.

We were happy with each property. Each is very distinct from the others, and highly individualistic. I'll return and report on the hotels.
Old May 4, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
slightly less useful but you must stop in capri, its a different place at night from the day and i feel you are missing out not choosing a night there- we like the capri palace and JK palace, both beautiful, if you are not good with heights go for the former as the taxi ride to the palace is hairy to say the least! Oh and watch your wallets, we had a taxi charge us double to get back to marina grande. the man insisted we pay at the start and then claimed we had not paid him at the start at the end... GGRRRR he had our cases in his boot so we were stuck with the double bill. Worth it tho, its a magical island
Old May 4, 2014, 9:05 am

Last night on The Trip, Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan stayed at Villa Cimbrone in Ravello which looked absolutely stunning. Brydon had the Greta Garbo suite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.