Wiki Posts
Search

Four Seasons Shanghai vs Pudong

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2013, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Four Seasons Shanghai vs Pudong

Hey Team -

Will be my first time visiting Shanghai and will be with my family. Looking to do the more touristic experience but wasn't sure which Four Seasons to stay in. If their is stark difference in quality, I'll stay at whichever one is considered better. Otherwise, which location of more conducive to having a better visiting experience?

Thanks in advance for your insight.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 9:41 pm

Stay on the Bund for tourism... I would recommend not staying at either FS. Shanghai is an interesting case where FS isn't the market leader... Stay at the Peninsula on the Bund or if you want to be in Pudong, the business district, try the Mandarin Oriental. The Mandarin Oriental's facilities are superb. Both are a level above FS in my experience.

The Pen has the best location for sightseeing.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Blackbook
Stay on the Bund for tourism... I would recommend not staying at either FS. Shanghai is an interesting case where FS isn't the market leader... Stay at the Peninsula on the Bund or if you want to be in Pudong, the business district, try the Mandarin Oriental. The Mandarin Oriental's facilities are superb. Both are a level above FS in my experience.

I would recommend staying in Jing'an or Xuhui, and making a trip or two to the Bund from there because there is far more to see/do in the French Concession than on the Bund. As for hotels, the Puli is quite nice, and there are dozens of others of similar caliber.

Last edited by moondog; Aug 4, 2013 at 4:16 am
Old Aug 4, 2013, 3:44 am

Although the rooms at the Peninsula are very nice I was very disappointed in the public areas - nowhere to sit at all if you want to just relax in a lounge area - the lobby seats are where breakfast/ afternoon tea etc are taken. I counted only 2 sofas I think one of which is by the reception desk. Loads of western designer shops though.
I loved the French Concession area best of all the districts in Shanghai and would probably stay there if I went again. I've seen pictures of a new IC there which looks nice. I definitely wouldn't stay in the Pudong side no matter how nice the hotel was unless I had business there.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by rayzay28
Hey Team -

Will be my first time visiting Shanghai and will be with my family. Looking to do the more touristic experience but wasn't sure which Four Seasons to stay in. If their is stark difference in quality, I'll stay at whichever one is considered better. Otherwise, which location of more conducive to having a better visiting experience?

Thanks in advance for your insight.
If its betwn the old FS and new FS it has to be the new FS ie in pudong .
But the old FS is in a charming neighborhood...But why not consider others ?

Peninsula is a good solid choice in the Bund area and its kids friendly too and very pleasant surroundings in the immediate areas outside the hotel....

In what is now known as West Shanghai in the Jing An area you may consider the brand new Jing an Shangri la.

Both great locations to call home during your stay in SH.

As for East Shanghai ( in Pudong) I like the Park Hyatt.
Actually the two areas east and west shanghai is very accessible nowadays and if you're hiring a limousine for your sightseeing trips it doesn't really matter which side you're on , as long as you avoid the peak traffic hours .
Old Aug 4, 2013, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Blackbook

I second this!^
Old Aug 4, 2013, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by bearbrick
If its betwn the old FS and new FS it has to be the new FS ie in pudong .
But the old FS is in a charming neighborhood...But why not consider others ?

Peninsula is a good solid choice in the Bund area and its kids friendly too and very pleasant surroundings in the immediate areas outside the hotel....

In what is now known as West Shanghai in the Jing An area you may consider the brand new Jing an Shangri la.

Both great locations to call home during your stay in SH.

As for East Shanghai ( in Pudong) I like the Park Hyatt.
Actually the two areas east and west shanghai is very accessible nowadays and if you're hiring a limousine for your sightseeing trips it doesn't really matter which side you're on , as long as you avoid the peak traffic hours .
"West shanghai"? Did you invent this term?
Old Aug 4, 2013, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by moondog
No
Old Aug 4, 2013, 10:38 am

Another reason to stay at the Pen...

http://news.peninsula.com/EN/THE-PEN...8-6b0419d747ee
Old Aug 4, 2013, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.shangri-la.com/shanghai/jinganshangrila/ says "West Shanghai" and bearbrick referenced SL
Old Aug 4, 2013, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by bearbrick
No
Okay, beyond the hotel marketing crowd, can you cite a single reliable source that refers to Jing'an as "West Shanghai"? (If you can, name them, and they can count on a small history lesson from me!)
Old Aug 4, 2013, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Stay away from the Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai !!! There is a large Metro station and shopping mall construction site next to it. If you like the sounds of air hammer 24/7, then the Four Seasons is the place to be.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 10:27 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HH D, IHG PA
Originally Posted by warakorn
Stay away from the Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai !!! There is a large Metro station and shopping mall construction site next to it. If you like the sounds of air hammer 24/7, then the Four Seasons is the place to be.
This is referring to the "old" FS on the west side of Huangpu River, and the new FS Pudong is on the east side and in a CBD area, hence surrounded by high-rise office bldgs.

Shangri-La Jing'an has just opened its door or maybe still in its soft-opening period, so a lot of its facilities may still be closed and it definitely carries that "brand new" smell, which is the same case for MO and Banyee Tree.

The new IC rebranded from Ruijing Hotel could be a good choice, if you want to avoid the tourist crowds often seen in the bund area, where Pen, Fairmont Peace Hotel and Waldorf are located. Having said that, all those three hotels are VERY nice ones.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Anyways, here is a photo from the construction site from the Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai (Puxi, west side). Of course, their greedy hotel manager wont put this info into their website. As you know, Shanghainese only care about money and extracting money from guests who need to purchase a room upgrade in order to not face this massive construction site.
If you complain about the 24/7 noise at midnight, all the hotel will say is: "Its the government, we cannot do anything about it."
Old Aug 5, 2013, 2:48 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I would recommend staying in Jing'an or Xuhui, and making a trip or two to the Bund from there because there is far more to see/do in the French Concession than on the Bund. As for hotels, the Puli is quite nice, and there are dozens of others of similar caliber.
I agree with staying in "West Shanghai." I don't know whether this is a real term, but that's how the new Shangri-La Jing An, right next to the Puli, markets itself.

I just came from two days there, and have mixed opinions. The neighborhood is great. I had a corner room on a high floor with great views (to the west and north I guess), but the room was tiny and had a few rather strange features. (E.g., they had one of those shower rooms like a lot of hotels nowadays with the bathtub in the same room -- basically the bathtub in the shower. But this room was really dark, as there was no light there, and the lighting in the bathroom was not great anyway. Also there was no closet door, just a bar hanging in the corner.)

The room featured a Samsung 3D Smart TV, and they provided the 3D glasses, although I found no use for this amenity. (There was no DVD player.) They also had Shangri-La branded toiletries, as opposed to the usual L'Occitane shampoo. The service overall at the hotel was very good, although the guy handling my check-in was relatively inept.

They have a great-looking steakhouse (which happened to be written up in China Daily while I was there); I went to the bar, which features a great menu including some custom-blended bourbon, but didn't have a meal.

I switched from the Four Seasons at the last minute to try the Shangri-La (a triple points promotion and RMB 600 dining credit helped), but I plan to stay at FS next time.

P.S. I also had one night at the Andaz at Xintiandi, which was actually superior in some ways to the Shangri-La; as a Hyatt Diamond on my first stay at a new hotel, they really doted on me. If, like this trip for me, you want to be on the Puxi side away from the Bund, it's an option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.