Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Four Seasons Shanghai vs Pudong

Four Seasons Shanghai vs Pudong

Old Sep 3, 2014, 2:32 pm

It depends on where your business is - distances in Shanghai are great. I wasn't as bowled over by the Pen as most on here seem to be but the rooms are very nice. I don't know the other 2 hotels.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:12 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
My impression is that most people overthink the hotel choice, especially in a city like Shanghai that has so many extraordinary options. We stayed at the Pen in 2012 and absolutely loved it...but we also visited for meals/drinks (as we always like to do) other top hotels in the city, including the Park Hyatt (which we also loved on the Pudong), the RC Pudong (which is beautiful but not as much our style), the Waldforf Astoria (majestic, and even more formal than the Pen IMO), the Fairmont Peace (fantastic lobby), and the Puli (which was spectacular as well). I honestly think all are amazing hotels--it comes down to which might be better located for your purposes, which might offer the best value for the room type you prefer, and which design motif you prefer. I don't think you can go wrong, to be honest, with choices such as these. We're parsing these choices as if there are substantial differences between them in how wonderful they are--and the differences are trivial in every way but location, style and perhaps the price you can get at certain dates.

If we were to return to Shanghai (which turns out to have been my favorite big city in China, even surpassing HK), we'd opt for the Pen again after having such an amazing stay (its Grand Deluxe Riverfront Suite is without question the most amazing urban suite we've ever experienced) if we wanted to be on the Bund. We also would strongly consider the PH (if we wanted to be in Pudong or earn/use Hyatt points) and Puli (if we wanted to be more in the downtown) if the rates were right. We'd also want to check out the MO. We've been too disappointed by the FSs we've stayed at and visited recently, but we'd likely check them out, too, if time allowed. Talk about spoiled for choice!
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Flying Blue Elite Gold, Emirates Gold, Etihad Airways Gold, Hilton HHonor Diamond
I agree with past comments: if you are looking for a good location in the city you have to choose FS Shanghai. Dated but prime location, close to more or less everything interesting.
However if you are looking for a brand new property, very design and offering view over the famous Oriental Pearl, no doubt: take the FS Pudong!! Should I mention its unbelievable indoor pool at 30th or 40th floor overlooking the skyline ??
Old Sep 9, 2014, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TheLuxeInsider2000
I agree with past comments: if you are looking for a good location in the city you have to choose FS Shanghai. Dated but prime location, close to more or less everything interesting.
However if you are looking for a brand new property, very design and offering view over the famous Oriental Pearl, no doubt: take the FS Pudong!! Should I mention its unbelievable indoor pool at 30th or 40th floor overlooking the skyline ??
I agree about staying in the city if you care more about interesting things to do than fancy hotel rooms, but for the same money as the FS, you can fetch a much nicer hotel in town.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
I agree about staying in the city if you care more about interesting things to do than fancy hotel rooms, but for the same money as the FS, you can fetch a much nicer hotel in town.
+1

And definitely more friendly service.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
+1

And definitely more friendly service.
Agree. Either FS would not be my choice in Shanghai. The Pen is by far the best.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Agree. Either FS would not be my choice in Shanghai. The Pen is by far the best.
How about the MO vs. Pen?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by speedbird001
How about the MO vs. Pen?
I cannot understand at all the MO location- as far as I can tell it is at least 2 km out of the way of most anything in Pudong which is quite far considering the traffic conditions much of the time.

For this reason alone I would choose the PEN if I needed to be in Shanghai.

If I needed to be in Pudong I have been happy for some time now with the Horizon Club in the newer tower at the Shangri-La where I have always received excellent service.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I cannot understand at all the MO location- as far as I can tell it is at least 2 km out of the way of most anything in Pudong which is quite far considering the traffic conditions much of the time.

For this reason alone I would choose the PEN if I needed to be in Shanghai.

If I needed to be in Pudong I have been happy for some time now with the Horizon Club in the newer tower at the Shangri-La where I have always received excellent service.
Well, it certainly is in Pudong (everything east of the river is), but it is 2km from LJZ, which might not be bad thing for those who dislike Lujiazui, but I agree that it is even less convenient than the hotels there.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:24 pm

Well, it certainly is in Pudong (everything east of the river is), but it is 2km from LJZ, which might not be bad thing for those who dislike Lujiazui, but I agree that it is even less convenient than the hotels there.
So in Pudong, the Pen or Shangri La?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by speedbird001
So in Pudong, the Pen or Shangri La?
The Pen is on the Bund. The Pudong Shangri-La is in Pudong. The Jing'an Shangri-La is near Jing'an Temple on W. Nanjing Road.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good point- I was thinking of the concentration of corporate, legal, accounting offices etc in and around the Jianmao tower which is typically the reason I end up staying at the Shangri-la Pudong or one of the 2 nearby Hyatts.

The MO location seems quite out of the way even for Pudong.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 8:15 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
For those interested, I had the privilege of staying at the FS Pudong, which from what I understand is newer than the other FS. I have a video review of the room and of the swimming pool, both including the view of the pearl for those interest.

Pearl view deluxe room: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtGGx2szJnI
Swimming pool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9rVIUWXR9w
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
I have not found a "best in Shanghai" thread so I think this should be the proper place to ask an update on:
"Which is the best hotel in Shanghai?"

I know the city well but I have not been back in a while (4 years maybe) so I would like to hear from more recent experience.
Reading above, it seems Peninsula and FS Pudong are the contenders?
is this correct?
It will be just a one night stay but a special occasion for one of my guests so I really would like to make it right!

once we are on the subject I would love as well recommendation (moderators permitting) on a great (luxury) contemporary restaurant in town and maybe a place for an after dinner drink....sorry to ask it here but I strongly trust regular posters on this forum
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:38 pm

Can't help you with restaurant/bar recommendations but I strongly believe Peninsula is by far the best choice in Shanghai. It's mainland China, so service is a problem at many hotels, I've tried Park Hyatt (which is Japanese-managed, but went downhill nevertheless), FS Pudong (progressing now) and, of course, Peninsula, which comes as close to excellence as you can get there.
Actually, the Pen Shanghai is one of my favorite hotel experiences - they do have some very caring staff members. Make sure to get a room or suite with Bund view - adds to the charm and beats Park Hyatt's sweeping views by a long shot, considering the smog on most days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.