Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Any recommendations on a luxury hotel in Greece?

Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX PLAT , HILTON GOLD, STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST GOLD, IHG PLAT AMBASSADOR, DAVID O FAN CLUB

I am planning on heading first week in Sept to the Arion Palace and Grande Bretagne (Athens) with around 3 nights on an island inbetween. Those 2 Starwood properties are so cheap under cash and points . Any recommendations on a luxury hotel in Greece to spend 3 days ?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by WEEBOBBY
I am planning on heading first week in Sept to the Arion Palace and Grande Bretagne (Athens) with around 3 nights on an island inbetween. Those 2 Starwood properties are so cheap under cash and points . Any recommendations on a luxury hotel in Greece to spend 3 days ?
Amanzo'e
Old Jul 20, 2013, 1:09 am

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
As far as you are into SPG I could recommend Santa Marina in Mykonos; I stayed last year and enjoyed it.
Plus of this hotel are the private beach (believe it or not almost without wind!), the sea front architecture and the sea food front beach restaurant.
Minus: rooms are a bit dated (but comfortable with a sea front balcony, many of them), spa is a joke and service is good but not luxury. Limited selection at breakfast.
I'll be pleased to go back
Old Jul 20, 2013, 1:11 am

If you want a taste of island life The Poseidonion on Spetses is very nice - the regular rooms are small but extremely comfortable. They've renovated the hotel sympathetically keeping all the original features. If you want a suite - the top ones are €6000+ per night.
AmanZoe (I've never seen Zoe - meaning life I assume with an apostrophe in Greece but then my Greek only extends to ordering in restaurants.) may be a nice hotel but it's in a bit of Greece I wouldn't be rushing to stay in especially as it isn't on the coast. It is just across the sea from Spetses so you could spend a night there and just to experience the hotel and then take a water taxi across to Spetses.
Also have a look at the thread started by DavidO on the new Starwood programme - I think there are other Luxury Collection properties in Greece.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 9:10 am

Amanzo'e is the best option.

Last edited by Blackbook; Jul 21, 2013 at 1:35 pm
Old Jul 21, 2013, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX PLAT , HILTON GOLD, STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST GOLD, IHG PLAT AMBASSADOR, DAVID O FAN CLUB
thanks!!
i will take a look at those suggestions.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 12:27 pm

Santorini for sure!
Either try the Starwood Property in Oia, Mystique, or properties like Katikies, Canaves Oia, or even Chromata.

There is easy air connection between Athens and Santorini- so worth a 3 day trip for sure!
Old Jul 21, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: luxury traveler

Santorini is a must if you have not been... A quick domestic flight on Olympic or Aegean Air, you can also take large boat there and fly back to Athens or most other islands, too. The boat is at least 6 hrs but a tremendous experience to see the caldera from the sea. Luxury Collection has great hotels on Santorini, too. Spetses is a very small island and sweet, quick spot from Athens... I would favor seeing islands and getting to Amanzoe rather than spend much time in Athens. See the Acropolis, have dinner in Plaka and hit the coast/islands... If you go to Mykonos, do a day trip to Delos island (birthplace of Artemis and Apollo), a sacred spot that has much to see although you cannot stay overnight (or be born or die on the island, either!) The city of Athens is overcrowded with little to see that compares to the islands, just my opinion... Amanzoe looks great, too! Have fun-
Old Jul 22, 2013, 8:44 am

Amanzo'e, without doubt.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I settled on Arion at the start and Grand Bretagne at the end. Such a good use of Starwood cash and points ($110 +6000)
Flights booked to Santorini and looking for a nice luxury hotel in Santoirini for 4 days/3 nights (3rd to 6th September ) . Mystique is $1500 a night !
Old Dec 31, 2013, 2:09 pm

Question re. Santorini

I'd just like to know if anyone has stayed at the following properties in Santorini, and if so, how would you rank them?

- Aigialos Fira Hotel

- Zannos Melathron

- Andronis Luxury Suites
Old Dec 31, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Thanks everyone. I settled on Arion at the start and Grand Bretagne at the end. Such a good use of Starwood cash and points ($110 +6000)
Flights booked to Santorini and looking for a nice luxury hotel in Santoirini for 4 days/3 nights (3rd to 6th September ) . Mystique is $1500 a night !
Where did you end up staying on Santorini?
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:35 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Combining the post two above with the main thread on luxury hotels in Greece.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:34 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by OliverB
I'd just like to know if anyone has stayed at the following properties in Santorini, and if so, how would you rank them?

- Aigialos Fira Hotel

- Zannos Melathron

- Andronis Luxury Suites
Don't look further than Katikies, a LHW member with a Relais & Châteaux sister property next door (for romantic dinner). Even a simple room will do and the location is unique and the best on the island. With your rental car you can easily visit anywhere. I still thank vuittonsofstyle for her valuable statement directing me there. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...santorini.html
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by OliverB

- Aigialos Fira Hotel

- Zannos Melathron

- Andronis Luxury Suites
Stayed twice at Zannos Melathron, but would not anymore. Used to have excellent food, but it now needs lots of work in all sorts of areas. Suites are very tired and dated, service not so good. Public area lovely, but the rest, as they say, is history. VERY windy up there, too.

Funnily enough, Andronis Luxury Suites, which is in a restored mansion at the beginning of Oia, was opened by an ex staff member of a sister hotel to Zannos Melathron (very small world on Santorini). It is OK, but not great. Beds are hard, views are nice, service wavers.

Katikies remains the best option on Santorini. And I would not go near Fira unless you are into clubbing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.