Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amangiri Trip Reports (combined threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amangiri Trip Reports (combined threads)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2016, 6:47 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Oh dear .
This doesn't bode well for my potential May stay .

We need cold AC & the usual seamless Aman care ( of yore ?? 90s / 00s .. )

Any news of improvements ?
Our visit last year in late April 2015 had excellent air con--and I assure you that I'm the diva of requiring great air con--and great food/beverage and excellent general service all-around. Our stay wasn't perfect, but it was absolutely worthy of Aman. My review is listed at the top of the thread.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 1:53 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Our visit last year in late April 2015 had excellent air con
We stayed there in May of this year and were well content. We were very impressed with the new GM. Every one has their own experience, and mine was superb.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 4:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Our visit last year in late April 2015 had excellent air con--and I assure you that I'm the diva of requiring great air con--and great food/beverage and excellent general service all-around. Our stay wasn't perfect, but it was absolutely worthy of Aman. My review is listed at the top of the thread.
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We stayed there in May of this year and were well content. We were very impressed with the new GM. Every one has their own experience, and mine was superb.
Thanks much , good to know .
Yes & , bhrubin , we are quite something for wanting low temperatures . We should meet up , perhaps at an Amanjunkie FT Do

What a relief !
Seems like a pity though that the previous are now at Pulo .. Just hope Aman ethos being carried on , Pulo has been a star Aman . Trust Giri will become one too , service wise included
Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
We are getting ready to head to Amangiri from Zion National Park in a few minutes. The whole purpose of the (one-night) stay is to view the location for our potential wedding, as well as sit down with the Director of Group Sales / GM to discuss options. We are potentially considering renting out the entire property, or at the very least looking for a 10 to 15-room block.

I had email correspondence with someone in the sales office a couple of months back, which led to a quote/proposal, a few phone conversations, etc. I then booked a room to continue this dialog. Unfortunately, all of my correspondence over the past 3 weeks to confirm that we are arriving today has gone ignored. No response, nothing.

Pretty ridiculous, and if I arrive on-property and no one is there to (adequately) discuss our wedding, I will be quite upset. We paid full rack rate for the room and our sole purpose for the entire trip is for wedding research.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:01 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by callmedtop
We are getting ready to head to Amangiri from Zion National Park in a few minutes. The whole purpose of the (one-night) stay is to view the location for our potential wedding, as well as sit down with the Director of Group Sales / GM to discuss options. We are potentially considering renting out the entire property, or at the very least looking for a 10 to 15-room block.

I had email correspondence with someone in the sales office a couple of months back, which led to a quote/proposal, a few phone conversations, etc. I then booked a room to continue this dialog. Unfortunately, all of my correspondence over the past 3 weeks to confirm that we are arriving today has gone ignored. No response, nothing.

Pretty ridiculous, and if I arrive on-property and no one is there to (adequately) discuss our wedding, I will be quite upset. We paid full rack rate for the room and our sole purpose for the entire trip is for wedding research.
That's really quite disappointing to hear.. the American Amans have never set the service bar very high but this seems to be a new low...

FDW
Old Dec 19, 2016, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
That's really quite disappointing to hear.. the American Amans have never set the service bar very high but this seems to be a new low...

FDW
Edited.

Last edited by callmedtop; Dec 19, 2016 at 4:32 pm
Old Feb 6, 2017, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu

FDW
Any updates ?
How was the overnight stay ?

May attempt a May stay ..
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:01 pm

Any updates ?
How was the overnight stay ?

May attempt a May stay ..
Service never caught up for the rest of the stay. Don't want to get into a ton of details here, but we didn't have a single interaction at the restaurant (for all three meals) where something didn't go wrong. They forgot my drink order for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They brought the wrong entree twice. One breakfast dish was inedible. Little things like that really added up, and there were issues at every turn. For the price they are asking for, these things should not come up.

It became a running joke with my fiance on what they would screw up next. It was actually exhausting by the end of our 24-hour stay, as it seemed like they were trying, but were laughably bad at execution.

The property is stunning. We did a hike to a nearby cave which was spectacular and the tour guide (not an Aman employee) was excellent. The hard product is unbelievably good, and the scenery is the best jaw-dropping I've personally ever seen. Although I am very curious why they would have only one room "type" given all the land they have? The room categories only differ by outdoor area and view - all rooms have identical interiors.

We had a great deal of fun renting a BMW 6-series for a couple of hours to drive around.

There was a very generous service recovery by the GM for our issues, mainly around the wedding planning issues (which nearly was a complete disaster, and makes my blood boil just thinking about it), but the whole stay did leave a bad taste in our mouth. We are still considering it for our wedding, because its just that gorgeous, but we are very concerned from a service aspect.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:18 pm

Service never caught up for the rest of the stay. Don't want to get into a ton of details here, but we didn't have a single interaction at the restaurant (for all three meals) where something didn't go wrong. They forgot my drink order for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They brought the wrong entree twice. One breakfast dish was inedible. Little things like that really added up, and there were issues at every turn. For the price they are asking for, these things should not come up.

It became a running joke with my fiance on what they would screw up next. It was actually exhausting by the end of our 24-hour stay, as it seemed like they were trying, but were laughably bad at execution.

The property is stunning. We did a hike to a nearby cave which was spectacular and the tour guide (not an Aman employee) was excellent. The hard product is unbelievably good, and the scenery is the best jaw-dropping I've personally ever seen. Although I am very curious why they would have only one room "type" given all the land they have? The room categories only differ by outdoor area and view - all rooms have identical interiors.

We had a great deal of fun renting a BMW 6-series for a couple of hours to drive around.

There was a very generous service recovery by the GM for our issues, mainly around the wedding planning issues (which nearly was a complete disaster, and makes my blood boil just thinking about it), but the whole stay did leave a bad taste in our mouth. We are still considering it for our wedding, because its just that gorgeous, but we are very concerned from a service aspect.
Oh dear , what an Aman disaster though the GM tries , the team is failing him & Aman .
When is your wedding ?
Will be lovely if original Aman service standards happen here ; sounds though it has not ever .
Perhaps we should wait & see if things improve .

It has been noted that since AZ isn ' t the visionary at Amans , things have become " generic " ( each Aman was unique but distinctly Amanresorts ) , hopefully not to be like a Motel 6 .
Plus Amanjunkies are not appreciated any more . So those new to Amans , won't have the faintest clue of what they are missing ..
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:23 pm

Oh dear , what an Aman disaster though the GM tries , the team is failing him & Aman .
When is your wedding ?
Will be lovely if original Aman service standards happen here ; sounds though it has not ever .
Perhaps we should wait & see if things improve .

It has been noted that since AZ isn ' t the visionary at Amans , things have become " generic " ( each Aman was unique but distinctly Amanresorts ) , hopefully not to be like a Motel 6 .
Plus Amanjunkies are not appreciated any more . So those new to Amans , won't have the faintest clue of what they are missing ..
The GM definitely is trying, and their new groups manager is also excellent. I understand the challenge getting good talent must be in the remote wilderness that is Southern Utah, but you can't have it both ways! Can't charge $2K / night without having the talent to back it up.

You should still go if you can "handle" the service lapses. Not sure if you have ever been before - my guess is yes - but it is jaw-dropping gorgeous around every corner. Pictures do not do justice. If we had more time we would also do the via ferratas - which look incredible - but just did not fit in our schedule.

That reminds me. Yes, it is Aman, and it is remote, but the activities pricing is so out of wack that it is borderline offensive. This has been discussed ad nauseum here but these prices are outrageous.

The wedding is Spring or Summer 2018 - still working out details. We love the idea of an Amangiri wedding, but concerns about location / remoteness and price isn't getting easier to swallow when you also have worries about service and F&B. We're going to Paris next week to do full tours of the usual suspects (FS, Ritz, Le Bristol, Le Meurice, La Reserve, Pen, S-La). Two very different wedding destinations, but we love both. Need to decide what makes the most sense, and need to decide soon.

Still doing an Indo Aman honeymoon despite this experience...although hopefully that isn't a mistake. We love Indonesia enough that even if the properties aren't up to normal standards, it will still (hopefully) be unforgettable. I digress..
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:38 pm

The GM definitely is trying, and their new groups manager is also excellent. I understand the challenge getting good talent must be in the remote wilderness that is Southern Utah, but you can't have it both ways! Can't charge $2K / night without having the talent to back it up.

You should still go if you can "handle" the service lapses. Not sure if you have ever been before - my guess is yes - but it is jaw-dropping gorgeous around every corner. Pictures do not do justice. If we had more time we would also do the via ferratas - which look incredible - but just did not fit in our schedule.

That reminds me. Yes, it is Aman, and it is remote, but the activities pricing is so out of wack that it is borderline offensive. This has been discussed ad nauseum here but these prices are outrageous.

The wedding is Spring or Summer 2018 - still working out details. We love the idea of an Amangiri wedding, but concerns about location / remoteness and price isn't getting easier to swallow when you also have worries about service and F&B. We're going to Paris next week to do full tours of the usual suspects (FS, Ritz, Le Bristol, Le Meurice, La Reserve, Pen, S-La). Two very different wedding destinations, but we love both. Need to decide what makes the most sense, and need to decide soon.
Still doing an Indo Aman honeymoon despite this experience...although hopefully that isn't a mistake.

We love Indonesia enough that even if the properties aren't up to normal standards, it will still (hopefully) be unforgettable. I digress..
Congratulations !!
Definitely , chalk & cheese destinations , no pun intended ..

Appreciate your prompt replies

Do let us know what you decide , etc .
Staffing is a challenge , it takes someone special with interest in working in lovely solitary environments . Wana does not have to compete with the likes of LAS , but has the attraction Bali ' nearby '
We / I do not take poor service , Aman or not , let alone lapses especially at an Aman & when they are demanding such rates . Expect service to at least match ..
Guess , Amanjunkie profiles are not passed on from an Aman to another Aman these days .

Perhaps we should hold on Giri , as quite a few Amans this year . The hardware surroundings will remain the same anyway . Plus who knows what the airports , etcetera will be like the next few months
Perhaps the rates will be in our favour by then too or the next season ( if HQ comes to their senses , will be overjoyed ) .

Indon Amans for honeymoon will be brilliant !!
Please PM me if you have questions , we have been to the Bali ones countless/ numerous times for more than 30 years
Just stayed less than a month ago & returning this year when it is " cooler " .
Also popped by Puri again last week .
It's the US of A ones which have real issues .. These past couple of weeks will not make stays at Gani or Giri any easier

Last edited by FlyerEC; Feb 6, 2017 at 2:58 pm
Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:49 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Such a shame that service issues are still so pervasive there.. I thought they weren't great when we were there but they weren't by any stretch bad.. seems that things have taken a turn for the worse (at least the GM seems involved; he was completely absent when we visiting).

I think it's quite hard because the SE Asia Amans (i.e. Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Philippines etc etc) represent very good jobs for the area. At Amandari it was quite common to meet staff that had been there since it opened. They were invested in the hotel; they in fact embodied the Aman spirit. In contrast, at Amangiri, the staff seemed much more transient.. I remember one of our waiters talking about going traveling for six months the next week... Given the American culture of tipping, yet the Aman culture of not tipping there is also not incentive to go that extra mile.. Finally, Amangiri is incredibly remote... which is its charm.. but there's not much to hold the staff there....

FDW
Old Feb 7, 2017, 1:28 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more

Still doing an Indo Aman honeymoon despite this experience...although hopefully that isn't a mistake. We love Indonesia enough that even if the properties aren't up to normal standards, it will still (hopefully) be unforgettable. I digress..
It's indeed very worrying how they can pull off a whole wedding if they can't even take care of 2 guests. That property, by many accounts (on here as well as others), has never hit the standards Aman has set itself, which, as you say is such a shame because (again by all accounts) it's such a stunning property. Despite all the bad reviews I still want to go.

You won't go wrong with Aman Indonesia - they're superb even if they have fallen behind on hard-product. Recent departures a bit concerning, but still everyone who has been absolutely loves it.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Although I am very curious why they would have only one room "type" given all the land they have? The room categories only differ by outdoor area and view - all rooms have identical interiors.
detached pavilions would cost even more, especially if all large private pools

note similarity to amanzoe, as amangiri also planned for residential villas

basically standard interiors >
kora, ikhas, wana, sara, wella, borabora, ruya, nusa, pulo, zoe, giri, puri, noi, yara, shanghai

jiwo, dayan - 1 named category
bagh, nemu - 1 premium category

galla - 2 named
jena - 1 premium and 1 named
(former new delhi - 2 premium)

dari, kila - 3 named
taka, summerpalace - 2 premium and 1 named

varies >
gani, tokyo (single building)
fayun, lemelezin, venice, svetistefan (historical)

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Amanruya is a classic Aman in the vein of Amanpuri - same size accommodations throughout
giri has only 34 'rooms' and 1 villa and isnt that inaccessible
much better value vs most expensive big box resorts/hotels
giri remains full board all the time? factors in rate comparisons
fewer rooms vs ranches, more amenities vs twin farms & point
yara - 1350 1550 1800 2700 (and much more for views, pools)
zoe - €850 €1100 €1600 €1800 (doesnt do service charge)

current giri rates >

1400 jan - feb 12 / jan 3 - mar 1
1450 nov 6-21 / dec 8-21
1800 mar 6-16 / mar 2-29 / jun 1-28 / jul 5-31 / sep 4 - nov 5 / nov 22-25 / dec 22-27
1850 valentines day weekend includes two classical concerts, second annual
2000 mar 17 - may 31 / jun 29 - jul 4 / aug 1 - sep 3 / dec 28 - jan 2 / mar 30 -

with taxes i think roughly 1800 to 2500 (website missing ~4.5% tax?)

oct 2016 >
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
[late] feb vs early nov ?

2016 currently >
1400 nov dec
1700 nov 23-27 (4 nt min) dec 22-27 (3 nt min)
1900 oct / dec 28-29 / jan 1-2 (5 nt min)
2400 dec 30-31 (5 nt min)

2016 - 5 months ago >
1900 jun aug
1700 jul sep oct

2017 currently >
1250 jan feb
1450 nov
1800 mar apr may jun jul sep oct
1900 jun 29 - jul 4 / aug

2017 - 5 months ago >
1250 mar

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 6, 2017 at 3:20 am
Old Feb 8, 2017, 12:50 am

The whole purpose of the (one-night) stay is to view the location for our potential wedding, as well as sit down with the Director of Group Sales / GM to discuss options. We are potentially considering renting out the entire property, or at the very least looking for a 10 to 15-room block.
Congratulations! ^
It's so much fun to plan and set up everything.
We had our wedding organised by the Bulgari in London.
Last summer when we stayed at Villa Feltrinelli I though it would also be a fantastic place for such an event. Booking an entire property can make it so special.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.