London Luxury Hotel

Old Jun 16, 2016, 3:08 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by foxf1
Stayed at the Savoy for eight nights last fall. It was fine. The best location. We walked everywhere. The breakfast was great, also. The room was great, the staff, fabulous. There were no coffee or tea facilities in the room, but once requested, they provided coffee and tea maker, and replenished coffee and tea daily. They did bill us incorrectly, but that was resolved. We found a promo on line for stay three nights, get one free, and it worked well. I would return.
Are there two Savoys in London? Because this sure doesn't match up with my experience there, staying in a junior suite. No way I'd go back.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:47 am

Given the number of very good hotels in London, there is no way I would ever go back to The Savoy.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:45 am

The Goring appears to have dropped out of the Relais & Chateaux consortium.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 8:10 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Are there two Savoys in London? Because this sure doesn't match up with my experience there, staying in a junior suite. No way I'd go back.
I agree: the hard product of a river-view suite was excellent, but the service entirely unacceptable. This is the sort of place that asks you to take the trouble to fill out a pre-arrival questionnaire, then ignores it entirely. My "butler" had the gall to say, "I remember that you requested only still water in your minibar, but I forgot to take care of that. I will take care of that now." And never did.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 12:42 pm

I had the pleasure of staying in The Apartment at The Connaught over the last few days. We took the second bedroom as well, for my girlfriends sister and her 2 children. At 285sqm, with 3 entrances and huge, expansive corridors that take up almost the entire 6th floor, it was easy to get lost - the children wonderfully demonstrated this by actually spending most of their time playing "hide and seek".

I've now stayed in every single room category at The Connaught, excluding their single Queen rooms which are ~24sqm. In a nutshell, The Apartment is spectacular with quality everywhere. Every design detail is clearly well thought through, it offers huge amounts of space with great views over Mayfair and would undoubtedly tick off every requirement you could ask for. They have gone out of their way to differentiate it from the other suites, but some of these are no longer good enough in 2016. For example, it has a visual/audio system designed to allow you to control each room, but North Island also had this and does it a lot better. The Beaumont also has Apple TVs/Google Chromecast by every TV in every room category, so you can create a very similar effect and without using some clunky technology.

The Terrace Suite has a bigger and more practical terrace, whilst the Library Suite allows more privacy from the bedrooms being at opposite ends of the suite, along with having a better, more luxurious feel to the living room. They also cost around 1/3 the price of The Apartment.

I'll write up a full review sometime, but for now here's a picture tour guide of the room:

Entrance

Main lobby

Main lobby view from master bedroom

Room key

Guest bedroom

Guest bedroom side table

Master bedroom

Personalised pillows

Master bedroom seating area

Master bedroom

Wardrobe and dressing area

Dressing area hangers

iPad for sound/audio controls

Master bathroom

Master bathroom

Hallway sofa

Main hallway

Living room

Living room

Children's Connaught colouring book

Living room

Balcony by master bedroom

Dining room

Dining room with balcony door open

View into dining room

Balcony

Kitchen

Guest bathroom
Old Jul 23, 2016, 12:44 pm

Wow! Beautiful photos, Mac
Old Jul 23, 2016, 1:47 pm
Community Director Emerita

Your girlfriend's sister is going to want to travel with you regularly after that inredible indulgence.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Your girlfriend's sister is going to want to travel with you regularly after that inredible indulgence.
Funnily enough, the last time they came to stay, we stayed in The Library Suite in The Connaught ( https://www.flickr.com/photos/132880...57657813938231 ). That's when she walked into the room and started crying at how amazing it was. I think I need to reset the expectations, so next time we'll just go to a Premier Inn and eat at a Little Chef.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
I think I need to reset the expectations, so next time we'll just go to a Premier Inn and eat at a Little Chef.
Perhaps this will be better
Old Jul 23, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Funnily enough, the last time they came to stay, we stayed in The Library Suite in The Connaught ( https://www.flickr.com/photos/132880...57657813938231 ). That's when she walked into the room and started crying at how amazing it was. I think I need to reset the expectations, so next time we'll just go to a Premier Inn and eat at a Little Chef.
Well then she would cry again for a different reason.

Seriously, the pictures and the suite (and the weather) look amazing.

The only apartment I have ever stayed in London was at the Athenaeum and I loved it. Didn't have a balcony though.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:46 am

Guys, what's it like staying on the South side of the river ?

I'm thinking of a river view suite at the Mondrian
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:39 am

Beautiful pictures, MacMyDay which have quite MadeMyDay. I guess from your specific requirements on this visit you ate 'at home?' I'm always looking for comments about the Helene Darroze restaurant downstairs - a controversial choice for the Connaught at the start of her regime and maybe still a bit cutting edge for this hotel?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Pausanias
Beautiful pictures, MacMyDay which have quite MadeMyDay. I guess from your specific requirements on this visit you ate 'at home?' I'm always looking for comments about the Helene Darroze restaurant downstairs - a controversial choice for the Connaught at the start of her regime and maybe still a bit cutting edge for this hotel?
Yep, we had friends over for dinner, that we met in North Island, and also had breakfast in the dining room.

It's interesting on your view of Helene Darroze, as The Connaught's identity is a strange one. A contemporary wing on the hotel, that is completely different to the rest; an Aman spa; a bar that is old fashioned, yet another bar that is very modern and frequently wins awards for amongst things, their cocktails. So in a way, I suppose a restaurant attempting some unique identity does fit in The Connaught.

With Helene Darroze, my experience is thus:
  • 5-6 years ago, I decided to go to every 2 and 3 Michelin star restaurant in England. After doing that, I started doing a lot of the 1 stars. When I got to Helene Darroze, it made me reassess what a Michelin star meant, as I thought the food verged on disgusting. I used to use it as an example of why the Michelin guide ultimately doesn't mean much.
  • About 3 years ago, I was due to meet a client for dinner and last minute I received an email from a private dining group that I was a member of, which would email last minute availability. They had Helene Darroze available that night, so I figured I would take them out there. It was absolutely stunning. A really memorable meal.
  • I spend the next day telling my girlfriend how great it was, so a week later we head over there. It was a real disappointment again.
  • Maybe a year later, another client is due to meet with me and he wants to try Helene Darroze. I suggest otherwise, but he insisted, so we go for lunch and it was once again a real let down. The menu selection is amongst the only thing that stands out, unfortunately the other thing is how expensive it is and what poor value it offered.

I would go to the Connaught's sister hotel, The Berkeley, for Marcus if I wanted the best hotel dining experience in London. I have been eating lunch at his other restaurant, The Gilbert Scott, in St. Pancras hotel, quite a lot lately as well - excellent value lunch menus there for ~Ł35 for 3 courses.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3 years ago, I was due to meet a client for dinner and last minute I received an email from a private dining group that I was a member of, which would email last minute availability. They had Helene Darroze available that night, so I figured I would take them out there. It was absolutely stunning. A really memorable meal.
ask connaught staff you know who was in kitchen then?
was menu different a week later, or just preparation?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:56 pm

It's interesting on your view of Helene Darroze, as The Connaught's identity is a strange one . . .
Much appreciated all that about the Connaught and its food. My own experience of La Darroze wasn't very good and she had two stars then. And perhaps since then I too have become disenchanted with Michelin - but the deal-breaker for me was the laughable, inedible L'Enclume. Anyway, I digress. . .

I think also I was intensely nostalgic for the Connaught of the 1980s and the food regime under the great Michel Bourdin who would serve up basic stuff like liver and bacon as well as classic French dishes laced with demi-glace and lashings of butter. I used to have a job which brought me into contact with many Hollywood A-listers and the Connaught was their home-away-from-home. I remember meeting the young Spielberg there who loved the hotel but ate out at a rib place in St Martin's Lane. And a lunch with RJ Wagner and the gorgeous Natalie and in one corner there was Yul Brynner and in another was Fred Zinnemann. I could go on . . .

Enjoy Laucala if that's where you are off to right now . . .

Last edited by Pausanias; Jul 25, 2016 at 11:13 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.