Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Cloister at Sea Island, GA

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2013, 11:34 am
Original Poster

The Cloister at Sea Island, GA

We visited The Cloister a few weeks ago and we were very impressed! I had not expected it to be nearly as nice as it was. I have a feeling that going a bit off-season helps.

Gorgeous suite in the main building. Terrifically personalized service at every point of contact.

We also stayed at The Sanctuary later in our trip and I would rate The Cloister above The Sanctuary.

Here are some photos and a trip report for anyone interested:
http://polloplayer.wordpress.com/201...at-sea-island/
Old May 18, 2013, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ejong
We also stayed at The Sanctuary later in our trip and I would rate The Cloister above The Sanctuary.
interesting, thanks!
Old May 18, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
We love the Cloister too. We will be heading down next month. It is the island that my family grew up going to every summer so I am biased but it is incredibly beautiful there.
Old May 18, 2013, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

@Valveking - lucky you! It has such an authentic feel to it. Lots of tradition but not broken down like some of the grand old places seem to be. (The Del Coronado comes to mind...)

If we lived on the E Coast I think we would be endeavoring to bring kids/grandkids there and make it a tradition for our family, too.

Btw, Garney Hill Catalog is currently running an enter-to-win 5 nights at Sea Island promotion - I entered it even though I was just there - would love to go back!
Old May 18, 2013, 5:44 pm

The Cloister is actually brand new. The old beautiful Addison Mizner Cloister was town down completely to make way for the new one. They saved the Spanish Lounge and reassembled it as part of the new one, but otherwise it is all new.
Old May 19, 2013, 1:11 am

I don't suppose it's as dressy nowadays as it was back in the mid 1990s: I remember seeing families wearing proper evening dress with their teenage boys wearing tuxedos for dinner in the main restaurant. I also remember one of the greatest beaches I've ever seen. The whole place said 'Old Money.' We loved it.

Last edited by Pausanias; May 19, 2013 at 1:16 am
Old May 19, 2013, 7:40 am

It is not as dressy, but still much more so than most places. When I was growing up, men and boys had to wear jackets and ties to dinner every night and I think it was black tie on Tuesdays and Saturdays. It is a little sad that those days are in the past. They used to have a full orchestra after dinner every night and the whole resort would go dancing after dinner. They still have bingo twice a week which I highly suggest if anyone ever takes their kids down there. It is tons of fun.

It used to be they would give you a list of everyone that was in house or renting a cottage when you arrived and we would get together with the same families every year for cocktail parties,tennis and golf.
Old May 19, 2013, 10:37 am
Original Poster

And this is why I rate it above the Sanctuary. The sense of tradition at The Cloister is authentic whereas at the Sanctuary it seems a bit contrived.

The Georgian Room was closed for dinner the nights that we were there (Sunday and Monday, I believe) but I think jackets are required there. The other restaurants seem relatively casual.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.