Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Mandarin Oriental FAN Club amenities enhanced

Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:59 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders

Mandarin Oriental has enhanced its FAN Club preferred partner program, adding a $100 F&B or Spa credit to the program. Here is the list of standardized amenities.

I'm unclear whether the guest - or the hotel - determines whether the $100 credit is a F&B or a Spa credit. Note: The Excelsior (a little known MO hotel in Hong Kong) does not participate in the credit.

• USD 100 Food & Beverage or Spa Credit, per room per stay
  • Daily continental breakfast for two persons
  • Personalized welcome amenity and note on behalf of agent from senior property management
  • One category room upgrade, subject to availability at time of check-in
  • Priority waitlist clearance

This is applicable at any MO in the world, but the amenities do not combine with Virtuoso or FHR.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 2:20 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
The Excelsior is a very well known hotel in Hong Kong and other than in name is very much branded as part of the MO chain. Uniquely, for MO I think, It is clearly marketed as a 4 star business hotel and not a luxury one. I recall reading somewhere a few years ago that it was MO's most profitable hotel. For many years it has been heavily promoted within the UK to tour groups as the very best 4 star in HK. There are better IMO.

Incidently, I think MO Head Office is based within the Excelsior Hotel - Both addresses are 281 Gloucester Rd, Causeway Bay

Last edited by Kettering Northants QC; Apr 11, 2013 at 6:53 am Reason: update of info
Old Apr 11, 2013, 4:18 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
The Excelsior is a very well known hotel in Hong Kong and other than in name is very much branded as part of the MO chain. Uniquely, for MO I think, It is clearly marketed as a 4 star business hotel and not a luxury one. I recall reading somewhere a few years ago that it was MO's most profitable hotel.
Definitely their most profitable hotel according to the stats i've seen. Although yields are lower, they very regularly achieve OVER 100% occupancy due to their crew business.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

re profit, MO publishes ARR and RevPAR, not net revenue (for each owned hotel)
interesting they used to do revenue by category like peninsula, stopped in 06/07
http://www.mandarinoriental.com/investors/

Originally Posted by slickalick
very regularly achieve OVER 100% occupancy due to their crew business
excelsior (883 or 884 rooms) annual occupancy rates >
2017 - __ / 2016 - 75 / 2015 - 78 / 2014 - 85 / 2013 - 89
2012 - 88 / 2011 - 89 / 2010 - 86 / 2009 - 74 / 2008 - 84
2007 - 88 / 2006 - 89 / 2005 - 88 / 2004 - 89 / 2003 - 67
2002 - 84 / 2001 - 77 / 2000 - 87 / 1999 - 84 / 1998 - 86
considering how many rooms, that is pretty incredible

in HK they have 3 including 1 giant nonluxury (excelsior)

in macau they have 2 including 1 nonluxury, both of which are management contracts, after selling their 50% stake in macau / grand lapa on jun 15 2009 then "manage the hotel for a period of up to two years under a short-term management agreement from the date of disposal." (before apparently deciding to extend) new MO opened jun 2010

Uniquely, for MO I think, It is clearly marketed as a 4 star business hotel and not a luxury one
Same in Singapore, about that time The Oriental rebranded as The Mandarin Oriental Singapore
interesting >

2007 - "The Oriental, Bangkok"
2008 - "Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok"

2006 - "The Oriental, Singapore"
2007 - "Mandarin Oriental, Singapore"

2005 >
"The Mark, New York" sold feb 16 2006 (Rafael)
"Royal Monceau Hotel, Paris"

2002 >
"Kahala Mandarin Oriental, Hawaii"
"Turnberry Isle Resort and Club, Florida" (Rafael)

2000 >
"Hotel Majapahit, Surabaya"
"Mandarin Oriental Ananda, The Himalayas" (also Rafael)
began managing Elbow Beach (also rafael?)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 24, 2017 at 11:50 am
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

interesting in 2007 - "the oriental, bangkok"
then in 2008 - "mandarin oriental, bangkok"
Same in Singapore, about that time The Oriental rebranded as The Mandarin Oriental Singapore - so now next door you have The Marina Mandarin and about 3/4 mile away the Mandarin Orchard Road neither of which are MO properties.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 5:38 am

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer
What is the likelihood if booking with an MO Fan Club agent, them getting an upgrade at the MOBK from a Mandarin Room to a State Room?

Last edited by spizzy; Apr 30, 2013 at 6:05 am
Old Jul 28, 2015, 3:22 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by DavidO
  • Daily continental breakfast for two persons

This is applicable at any MO in the world, but the amenities do not combine with Virtuoso or FHR.
The breakfast offering has now been enhanced since June 2015 to the value of a full breakfast daily. The balance of DavidO's post remains correct with the addition of complimentary internet access since January 2015.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:57 am

In my experience with MO even when continental breakfast is stipulated, often I have not been charged for full breakfast.

It should be full breakfast as that is the norm with FS and most other groups these days.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:24 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Mandarin Oriental FAN Club receives a major upgrade

Mandarin Oriental FAN Club has announced a real upgrade to its world-wide preferred partner amenity program.

Here are the standard FAN Club amenities:
  • USD 100 Food & Beverage or Spa Credit, per room per stay
  • Daily full breakfast for two persons
  • Complimentary High Speed Internet Access during stay
  • Personalized welcome amenity and note on behalf of agent from senior property management
  • One category room upgrade, subject to availability at time of check-in
  • Priority waitlist clearance

Biggest improvement — you now get a Full American Breakfast instead of a continental breakfast.

Most significant advantage over Virtuoso — the "extra amenity" ($100 credit) is flexible. Your choice of using it for F&B or Spa.

Best news — Suite Temptations rates now combine with FAN Club

I must say that MO management has been receptive to [incessant] feedback that I have been providing, and perhaps that's part of the reason that Suite Temptations now combines with FAN Club amenities.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:34 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I've been able to combine Fan Club with Suite Temptations at certain properties but not all so this is welcome news. I too have been lobbying extremely hard for this...
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:48 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by DavidO
Biggest improvement — you now get a Full American Breakfast instead of a continental breakfast.
This has been so since July 2015 and was reported in the original thread you started HERE DavidO

Edited to note: I agree so have merged the two threads.

RichardInSF,moderator, luxury hotels

Last edited by RichardInSF; Jan 7, 2016 at 11:19 am
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

MOs have always given us a full breakfast. Nice to know its enshrined now than down to the work of our fabulous agent.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
This sounds the same as FHR PTS, but much less than CTS, right?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:40 am

Is the Fan Club something you must join or is it part of a package?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: No program whatsoever
Originally Posted by speedbird001
Is the Fan Club something you must join or is it part of a package?
Fan Club is MO's partner program - you access Fan Club benefits by booking a stay through a MO affiliated travel agent.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.