Four Seasons to launch loyalty programme in Q3 213

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:08 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Smile Four Seasons to launch loyalty programme in Q3 213

Four Seasons to launch loyalty programme in Q3 13

Canadian luxury hotel chain Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts will launch its first guest loyalty programme in Q3 this year.

Regional vice president and GM Four Seasons Hotels Thailand Rami Sayess told Hotelier Middle East: “One thing that we have been working on for a long time and been hearing feedback from guests on is a loyalty programme.

“We’re one of the companies that has resisted having a programme for many, many years. But today, we realise that like everything else, this is changing in the world and we are going to have to roll out [a loyalty programme].
http://www.hoteliermiddleeast.com/16...ogramme-in-q3/

Excellent news.

Last edited by uggboy; Mar 26, 2013 at 11:06 am Reason: clarity and link
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Q3 so july august september, 3 to 6 months from now

Originally Posted by KrazeeJoe
2013 By Invitation Promotion, beginning January 7th
from jan 2012 FS docs >

The "By Invitation" promotion launched on November 1, 2011 and is scheduled to run through December 15, 2012. Enrolment progress has been good and is on schedule - over 8,000 enrolments to date. We will close enrolment at the end of January [2012] Results will start to be reviewed in February [2012] but the very earliest we expect to see any impact is summer 2012 and it may take until the end of the year. [2012] Using the results and feedback, recommendations will be made regarding a formal recognition/loyalty program. The recommendations may be made at the end of the year [2012] or early next year [2013] depending on when results from the promotion are available. Ensure strong recognition of "By Invitation" guests when they visit your property.
re internet (complimentary for FSPP exec suite, FSBI room, some hotels) in FS docs >
"The Americas are in the best position to offer free basic internet followed by EMEA and APAC"
first two "outlined next steps on internet strategy" while APAC also "outlined concerns"
also reconfirmed decision making at hotel level, mentioned here before

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 22, 2013 at 12:26 pm
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:57 pm

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
Originally Posted by uggboy
Four Seasons to launch loyalty programme in Q3 13

http://www.hoteliermiddleeast.com/16...ogramme-in-q3/

Excellent news.
Very bad news.

A real luxury hotel company treats all guests like VIPs, makes no difference based on "points", does not try to churn stays from cheapskate guests for the reason of "earning free nights", but tries by all means to make guests book because of high hardware and service magic.

So, Four Seasons: Welcome down on your way of starwoodisation...
Old Mar 27, 2013, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by deer
Very bad news.

A real luxury hotel company treats all guests like VIPs, makes no difference based on "points", does not try to churn stays from cheapskate guests for the reason of "earning free nights", but tries by all means to make guests book because of high hardware and service magic.

So, Four Seasons: Welcome down on
your way of starwoodisation...
I think we should keep an open mind about this. If point accrual is revenue based the program might not suffer from the same problems that programs like SPG or Hyatt do.

Free internet, upgrade possibilities, or FF mileage accrual could benefit us all.

Loyalty programs do influence the stay patterns of many business travelers, so amidst competition a loyalty scheme might be a necessary evil as FS expands into new markets.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While I am keeping an open mind I do also have this concern.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I also am very concerned about how a points program might have adverse effects, but hope FS can implement this without cheapening the brand or comprimising the guest experience.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I also am very concerned about how a points program might have adverse effects, but hope FS can implement this without cheapening the brand or comprimising the guest experience.
Good point- as long as it does not add undue extra cost to the guest nor create a complex system of tiers I agree.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 5:12 am

Good point- as long as it does not add undue extra cost to the guest nor create a complex system of tiers I agree.
I really think FS should avoid published status tiers based on stays/nights as this would really undermine service.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really think FS should avoid published status tiers based on stays/nights as this would really undermine service.
+1

Or at least keep a very simple system similar to LeadersClub.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:37 am

Very bad news.

I could not agree with you more! ^
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:40 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
I'm skeptical. I don't see how this would increase my loyalty to FS. A free night after 2000 stays or free Internet isn't going to change my behavior. Internet should be free for guests anyway. I'm not staying at FS to save money so a free night has limited appeal. FS, at present, is shockingly poor at recognizing regular guests between cities. Geneva, for example, has no idea that I spend 10 nights a year at NY, and 15 at EPA. This is the first issue that they'd need to fix.

I see big downside. FS has to be discrete here. If I perceive (real or not) that I'm getting different treatment than a 'loyalty program member', I'll be pissed. If, for example, they stop giving category upgrades to FSPP bookings and save them for the invited loyalty guests, I'll fix the slight by going elsewhere. ...And quickly... I would add that I'd probably fire the entire chain, and not just the location that irritated me. That would mean Pen rather than FS HK, St Regis rather than FS SF, Rosewood SH rather than FS EPA, MO rather than FS Bos, et al. Frankly, this wouldn't be torture. I'd just have to learn the names of new bartenders. 'W' and Marriott, after a single disastrous stay, have been added to my s-list, worldwide, FOREVER.

I've been a little irritated by the existing 'invitation' program already. FS hasn't done a good job here. I've had 30+ nights at various FS's in the last 12 months and have been ignored. Is that below the threshold?

Off topic: A loyalty program would be deadly to Aman. It would ruin the entire concept of the chain.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
I'm skeptical. I don't see how this would increase my loyalty to FS. A free night after 2000 stays or free Internet isn't going to change my behavior. Internet should be free for guests anyway. I'm not staying at FS to save money so a free night has limited appeal. FS, at present, is shockingly poor at recognizing regular guests between cities. Geneva, for example, has no idea that I spend 10 nights a year at NY, and 15 at EPA. This is the first issue that they'd need to fix.

I see big downside. FS has to be discrete here. If I perceive (real or not) that I'm getting different treatment than a 'loyalty program member', I'll be pissed. If, for example, they stop giving category upgrades to FSPP bookings and save them for the invited loyalty guests, I'll fix the slight by going elsewhere. ...And quickly... I would add that I'd probably fire the entire chain, and not just the location that irritated me. That would mean Pen rather than FS HK, St Regis rather than FS SF, Rosewood SH rather than FS EPA, MO rather than FS Bos, et al. Frankly, this wouldn't be torture. I'd just have to learn the names of new bartenders. 'W' and Marriott, after a single disastrous stay, have been added to my s-list, worldwide, FOREVER.

I've been a little irritated by the existing 'invitation' program already. FS hasn't done a good job here. I've had 30+ nights at various FS's in the last 12 months and have been ignored. Is that below the threshold?

Off topic: A loyalty program would be deadly to Aman. It would ruin the entire concept of the chain.
Well quite - but then, Aman would never ever consider such a thing, which is why I am shocked that FS would. What next? Club floors everywhere? Are they aiming to become Marriott?
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

on the topic of FS "programs" >

lets not forget what By Invitation included (not much) - that was the thread i quoted earlier

there are/were Profile Guests here, im curious re the whole story behind that program.
only luxury posted that they still had Profile status.
ABG posted that FS could still do Profiles.
in this thread >
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
aha >

guest.historian at fourseasons.com
your service preferences may be made available to other Four Seasons properties through the Four Seasons guest history database.

guest information in our Guest Reservation System ("GUESTres...We may also store certain information regarding your service preferences...number of stays you have had at properties managed by Four Seasons and the number of nights of each stay. This information may be available to another Four Seasons property when you make a reservation at that property

When you log-in to complete or modify a Booking Profile, Guest Service Profile

If you are invited, whether through the "By Invitation" promotion or otherwise, and elect to create a Guest Profile, on our web site

When you provide information, including revised information to your Guest Profile, we may use the information you provide to update other databases maintained by us.

How do I access my Personal Information?
...You may make a request to the CIS Leader at the Hotel
...contacting our Corporate Guest Historian
http://www.fourseasons.com/privacy/ (highlighted = added nov 7 2011)

mar 24 2011 >
Originally Posted by cdncent
Does anyone know about a FS "Member" Card issued to only about 350 people in North America? A travel agent mentioned it to me recently, but didn't have much in terms of details. Thanks.
MikeFromTokyo and mike_la_jolla, i also posted quotes re internet from FS docs, i think there was also stuff on internet infrastructure i didnt post (like upgrades being done and more options being researched)
vuittonsofstyle, aman has new owners, and when are guest only areas bad?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 22, 2013 at 1:41 pm
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I could not agree with you more! ^
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla

Actually, the more I think about it, the more it seems like this is a huge mistake. I do not want to see FS go the way of Ritz-Carlton, although I fear that is already happening at the corporate level (and at some of the properties).
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, the more I think about it, the more it seems like this is a huge mistake. I do not want to see FS go the way of Ritz-Carlton, although I fear that is already happening at the corporate level (and at some of the properties).
its clear FS spends a lot on management consultants etc, and uses that language, from the FS docs i looked at
at least some of the service discussion (bluewater etc) sounds reasonable instead of nonsensical
and who doesnt these days?

while its good that aman presumably does not, they are dependent on GMs, and again new corporate owners

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
site - from FS docs >

"Advantage Pricing and IDeaS Revenue Management system" rolled out dec 2011 > apr 30 2012

"Competitors will comment - our objective is to win share not satisfy the competition"

"IDeaS is a demand system and recommends restriction levels not the actual BAR price. Hotel must evaluate recommendations and not simply let IDeS control rate and inventory decisions. Dont overestimate the power of lower pricing"

http://www.ideas.com/

"Scoping and design work for Reservations using external consulting engagement similar to the initial Oliver Wyman work drawn up. Extensive input from field and corporate subject matter experts"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Wyman

FS also originally had a benefit program for timeshare, and presumably fractional owners, now long gone.
not sure whether any programs (past or present) for residence owners.

and By Invitation 2013 changes/reductions >
Originally Posted by wayzfam
I am disappointed its now 1night for every 3

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 29, 2013 at 10:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.