Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Botswana Safari Selection Issue

Botswana Safari Selection Issue

Old Jan 29, 2016, 10:22 am
Community Director Emerita

Any opinion on the Sanctuary properties versus the Belmond properties? I have proposals for:

Belmond: Savute Elephant Camp, Khwai River Lodge, Eagle Island

Sanctuary: Chobe Chilwero, Stanley's Camp, Baine's Camp, Chief's Camp

The agent was in Botswana herself last month and has eliminated a number of properties due to poor game viewing as a result of the drought.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 10:24 am

I'd be curious to know more ... considering going around late March. Is this a good time to go?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:35 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Any opinion on the Sanctuary properties versus the Belmond properties? I have proposals for:

Belmond: Savute Elephant Camp, Khwai River Lodge, Eagle Island

Sanctuary: Chobe Chilwero, Stanley's Camp, Baine's Camp, Chief's Camp

The agent was in Botswana herself last month and has eliminated a number of properties due to poor game viewing as a result of the drought.
For game viewing in my experience nothing beats Mombo. Having said that I hear Chiefs is good too. We have been to a number of lodges in Botswana which we have really enjoyed but for game we felt Mombo was by far the best. Maybe that has changed with the drought? Don't know.

Of the lodges you mention I've only been to Chobe Chilwero. We liked it, but it was not our favorite. The rooms are very nice, but it is on the larger size ( I think about 15 rooms). One if the things I love about Botswana is the feeling of being out in the wilderness, with very few vehicles compared to many parts of Africa. I did not get that feeling at Chobe Chilwero. Having said that the rooms were very comfortable and we did see a fair amount of game! Just depends on what you are looking for on your trip!
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:41 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Originally Posted by aa213bb
I'd be curious to know more ... considering going around late March. Is this a good time to go?
I don't think Late March is a great time to go.....I think July, August and September are the best.
I would not go that time if year personally, but I like their winter ( our summer in U.S. And Europe) as it doesn't rain, you can see the animals better( dry with less vegetation to camouflage), and very few if any bugs! It can be very cold in the early morning and at night, but warms up nicely during the day ( but not too hot). Depends on what kind of weather you like I suppose! And of course with the changing climate it may be completely different!
Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Larkin
For game viewing in my experience nothing beats Mombo. Having said that I hear Chiefs is good too. We have been to a number of lodges in Botswana which we have really enjoyed but for game we felt Mombo was by far the best. Maybe that has changed with the drought? Don't know.
Thanks, Larkin, appreciate the thoughts. I went back to the agent and asked about Mombo. She raved about it but not their December pricing. It's $5K/night in top season and only drops the price about 10% off season. That's double what other top properties charge that time of year. Now, it's entirely possible that the price is justified based on the great game viewing for which it is known. I tried to get a quote for a couple nights there with other nights elsewhere but I felt I was rolling a boulder up the hill. The camps put together pricing that promotes staying with their family. In the end, I've gone with Belmond. They have a Nov/Dec package that throws in all the inter camp flights for free. The agent had been to two of the three Belmond properties in early December, the time we will travel this year, and had fantastic game viewing. I think it was Jao where she stayed and they had to drive 1 1/2 hours one way to find good game. Who knows if December 2015 game viewing will be predictive of December a year on, but it is the best I have to go on.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

presumably mombo trails is over by then? was a huge discount, athough a less 'developed' camp
little mombo also had discount during some of renovations when it was open and mombo wasnt
botswana etc (trips) arent benefiting from strong dollar like south africa is at the moment

i dont recall anything negative about belmond camps here, recall some very positive a while ago

Originally Posted by Larkin
For game viewing in my experience nothing beats Mombo. Having said that I hear Chiefs is good too.
re sanctuary / A&K >
seems like chiefs is closest (of any) to mombo?
1,052km2 - 5 baines' camp + 8 stanley's camp
curious re private concessions in botswana

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
early December
wilderness safaris
[early december rates, number of rooms, rate range]
$4310 - 6 abu - $3566 > $5626
$3348 - 9 mombo (3 little mombo) $2854 > $4370
$3006 - 9 kings pool / 9 jao / 14 vumbura $2484 > $4732
$2108 - six other camps $1806 > $3176
[http://www.wilderness-safaris.com/co...botswana/camps]

[http://www.sanctuaryretreats.com/bot...s-chiefs-price]
$2320 - 12 chiefs camp $2320 > $4860

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 7, 2016 at 9:48 am
Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
re sanctuary / A&K >
seems like chiefs is closest (of any) to mombo?
1,052km2 - 5 baines' camp + 8 stanley's camp
curious re private concessions in botswana

wilderness safaris
$4310 - 6 abu - $3566 > $5626
$3348 - 9 mombo (3 little mombo) $2854 > $4370
$3006 - 9 kings pool / 9 jao / 14 vumbura $2484 > $4732
$2108 - six other camps $1806 > $3176

$2320 - 12 chiefs camp $2320 > $4860
What does this mean?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.