Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Rosewood Mayakoba vs. Banyan Tree vs others (Cancun, Mexico)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rosewood Mayakoba vs. Banyan Tree vs others (Cancun, Mexico)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2016, 2:25 pm

Erika - attaching a picture of the view from our room at the Rosewood. There were hundreds of little ducks on the island across the way - adorable little coots - when we were there in February.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:51 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Thanks!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: BAEC
We're off to Mayakoba for 10 nights of our honeymoon. Originally we were staying in the BT for the entire time. Now I'm thinking of spending the first four nights at Rosewood in a Beachfront suite and then moving over to the BT for 6 nights in a Spa villa.

Does this sound like a good plan or not worth the small hassle of moving?
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by MadProfessor
We're off to Mayakoba for 10 nights of our honeymoon. Originally we were staying in the BT for the entire time. Now I'm thinking of spending the first four nights at Rosewood in a Beachfront suite and then moving over to the BT for 6 nights in a Spa villa.

Does this sound like a good plan or not worth the small hassle of moving?
I have done this and would say not worthwhile to move. The properties are so similar and you will between the two constantly for dinners.

If you are up for changing hotels I would suggest combining BT with a non-mayakoba property to have a more diverse experience. Check out maroma (more traditional Mexican vibe), esencia or even Merida (supposed to be very charming with great restaurants - you could stop at Chichen Itza en route). You will get tired of dining at mayakoba and playa isn't that great to go into for dinner.

Last edited by katesy; Jul 21, 2016 at 2:10 pm
Old Jul 21, 2016, 9:44 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by katesy
I have done this and would say not worthwhile to move. The properties are so similar and you will between the two constantly for dinners.
Agreed here but I would add Nizuc to your list of alternatives katesy... close to airport so nice for the departure day and max'ing out your time.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:53 am

Thanks. I really appreciate the advice because this is one trip where I don't want to make a mistake.

I have heard that they ferry you between the three hotels in Mayakoba and that you can charge meals/drinks back to your main hotel.

We'll starting off in Mexico City for 4 days at the Four Seasons then have 10 days on the coast. I quite like the look of Hotel Escencia as well.

People who have stayed at Rosewood or Banyan Tree does anybody have any tips on the best rooms?

I'm happy to spend the money but is a beachfront suite at Rosewood worth it? They look smaller than the other rooms and I'm concerned about privacy. Bet then that view and walk down onto the beach look amazing.

Banyan Tree looks more romantic but you can only get an ocean view down at The Haven where the villas are just too big for a couple.

I've talked myself in and out my decision so many times!!! Please help.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:00 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
The Beachfront Suites at Rosewood Mayakoba are the smallest room category (and not true suites), but to me they are also the best rooms. When I travel to a beach destination I want to be as close to the beach as possible (assuming my budget allows it). I can swim in a pool just about anywhere, but proximity to an ocean is a rarity.

I have also stayed in an Oceanview Suite and an Overwater Suite. The latter would be my second favorite room category. Sorry, I can't put my finger on my photos for it at the moment.

Additionally, I have stayed at NIZUC, Ritz-Carlton Cancun, Belmond Maroma, Viceroy Riviera Maya, the Fairmont, and Banyan Tree. We usually go a couple of times a year. Although this year we rented a condo and stayed for a month

If you switch hotels, I would save the best hotel experience for last, so that you end your honeymoon on a high note. The best for you depends on what you like to do while on a beach vacation.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:57 am

You're very lucky going a few times a year!! But compared to us you're practically local I guess.

I haven't heard of NIZUC before. Of the places that you have stayed where would you recommend? A little about what we like:
- Great food and drink
- Relaxing in privacy avoiding noisy "chavs"
- White sand beaches where you don't have to fight to get a bed
- Best possible service

Not much to ask.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
It is close for us. To me, it's easier to get to Cancun from Boston than to get to Cape Cod.

The best beaches are at Maroma and Esencia. Maroma is more centrally located and is the original Riviera Maya luxury resort. Best beach beds in the Yucatan. Tons of beachfront, sugar white sand, barefoot luxury.

I haven't stayed at Esencia yet, but their beach is more private and the resort is a little more isolated. Closest option to Tulum and furthest from the airport. Fewer options for rooms with a view than Maroma. Perhaps someone who has stayed there can comment further.

The best food experience I have had was at Viceroy. It is closest option to Playa del Carmen, and beach has some rocks and is somewhat busy. Pool is nice and quiet. Resort has a great Mexico vibe and is adult's only.

My favorite for service is Rosewood. Great hard product and dining too. Beach is decent, better than Viceroy, not as nice as Maroma or Esencia.

NIZUC is more of a pool resort as their beach is small and the water very shallow. Lots of dining options, no hawkers on beach because there is no way for public to access, only place where you will find sunset views in the area.

I had to google "chavs"... I have never experienced anyone like that at any of these resorts. And as long as you are not traveling over the festive season (Christmas / New Year) or during US spring break, there won't be any issues getting a great spot on the beach.

Hope this helps! I am trying to pay it forward as I have been receiving great advice from experts in a construction forum in regard to a home improvement project
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:51 am

Thanks so much. OK...final question....

If you had 10 nights on honeymoon would you spend the entire time in one resort or break it up. If so how?

My current thoughts are somewhere with a better beach then somewhere with more privacy/service.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:51 pm

If it was my honeymoon and I wanted to hunker down somewhere for 10 nights, I would stay at Rosewood. To me, having access to the entire Mayakoba complex would offer enough variety in dining. Furthermore, I can hang out at my plunge pool, the beach, the spa pool, or the main pool - plenty of options. Plus, I can also do a full day sightseeing trip or two and not feel like I am missing out on getting the full resort experience.

I wouldn't do 10 nights at the smaller properties because I would tire of the menus. If I wanted a smaller hotel then I would split my stay between two small places and make it an even 5 and 5.

If I wanted to try big and small, then I would start big for 6-7 nights and go small for the last 3-4, depending on my confidence in my choices and my flight times.

That's what I would do, but you may feel differently.

Here are my pics from Maroma now that beach might be most important. We are building a pool and my husband asked me if I could contact the hotel and find out where they got their beach beds. They are truly the most comfortable we have experienced anywhere.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:47 pm

Has anyone done the La Ceiba dinner at Rosewood Mayakoba or the Haab dinner at the Banyan Tree?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 7:21 pm

Programs: United 1K (GS Refugee), Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Avis Chairman's Club
La Ceiba

Originally Posted by Ericka
Has anyone done the La Ceiba dinner at Rosewood Mayakoba or the Haab dinner at the Banyan Tree?
We did this one time last year when wife and I stayed beachfront suite. You show up around dusk for a cocktail hour in the resort's gardens where most of veg and fruits used in dinner are grown. Greeted with a specialty drink (or your choice) and the local management team of hotel is there acting as hosts, bringing you together with other guests, facilitating conversations, etc. After cocktails, you sit at tables family style and everything is shared. Cooks are there bringing out 5-7 apps, 3-5 mains, etc. More food than you can eat, staff and guests all sitting together, pretty great conversations we had with other couples. Drinks keep coming, candles lit, through dessert. We had great conversations going with a couple from los angeles, couple from texas, couple from Italy and stayed until wee hours. Drinks kept coming, tequila bottle came out and some of staff stayed with us drinking and chatting until after midnight. My wife and I aren't usually big joiners when on vacation but this was a very memorable night made possible by the active involvement of the senior staff of hotel to make it feel more like a dinner party at a friend's house than at a resort. Would highly recommend it and we will do it again when we return to resort next spring.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by CarletonSloth
We did this one time last year when wife and I stayed beachfront suite. You show up around dusk for a cocktail hour in the resort's gardens where most of veg and fruits used in dinner are grown. Greeted with a specialty drink (or your choice) and the local management team of hotel is there acting as hosts, bringing you together with other guests, facilitating conversations, etc. After cocktails, you sit at tables family style and everything is shared. Cooks are there bringing out 5-7 apps, 3-5 mains, etc. More food than you can eat, staff and guests all sitting together, pretty great conversations we had with other couples. Drinks keep coming, candles lit, through dessert. We had great conversations going with a couple from los angeles, couple from texas, couple from Italy and stayed until wee hours. Drinks kept coming, tequila bottle came out and some of staff stayed with us drinking and chatting until after midnight. My wife and I aren't usually big joiners when on vacation but this was a very memorable night made possible by the active involvement of the senior staff of hotel to make it feel more like a dinner party at a friend's house than at a resort. Would highly recommend it and we will do it again when we return to resort next spring.
This sounds very nice. Do you remember what type of food was served?

From what I've read, the Haab dinner at the Banyan Tree sounds like it has a more Mayan focus (someone dressed as a warrior, music, etc.). Does anyone have experience with that one?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:34 pm

Programs: MR, Delta SkyMiles
We honeymooned at the Banyan Tree back in 2013, and it was a great experience. Some notes that might help:

(1) As you prob know, there's a lagoon system all throughout the Mayakoba development so every room at BT/RW is 'waterfront'. IIRC the issue with the beachfront rooms is that they're not as private: the beach is public (like all beaches in MX), so it's not unusual to see people walking in the vicinity of your room. Since we were on our honeymoon, this was a deal-breaker for us.
(2) Service at the Rosewood was a bit better than at BT. No major issues at BT, just details like not everyone knowing our name, welcome amenity included a bottle of wine even though we mentioned we don't drink, things like that. When we went to dinner at the Rosewood the staff was very welcoming and at first apologized profusely for not knowing our name (assumed we were RW guests). Once they knew we were visiting from BT, they gave us a nice tour of their property.
(3) Can't recommend the in-room BBQ at BT enough. It's pricey (~$450), but what an experience. Delicious food, everything cooked right before your eyes, and the setup is incredible.
(4) Dinner at Saffron was also amazing, we still talk about it. We had dinner at RW one night too, it was good but I wasn't blown away.
(5) +1 to luxtrvlwrks. If you are switching hotels, save the best for last. We started with 5 nights at BT then another 5 at the Ritz-Carlton. The RC was nice, but after BT it was a little underwhelming.
(6) +1 to katesy. If you are going through the trouble of switching hotels, make it worth it and see something different. Merida is a bit of a drive, but it's a beautiful city with gorgeous architecture and a lot of good regional food (Los Almendros is a favorite).

Both properties are wonderful, so whichever you chose I'm sure you will have a fantastic time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.