Reload this Page >

San Francisco luxury hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2023, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
This is a list of the properties discussed in this thread, excluding a few merely mentioned in passing.

Luxury Hotels

Fairmont
Fairmont Heritage Place Ghirardelli Square
Four Seasons
Four Seasons at Embarcadero (ex-Loews Regency, ex-Mandarin Oriental)
Huntington Hotel
Le Meridien
Mark Hopkins
Ritz-Carlton
St. Regis
Stanford Court

Upscale Hotels

Clift (ex-Four Seasons)
Grand Hyatt
InterContinental (5th & Howard Streets)
InterContinental (Nob Hill)
Pacific-Union Club
Taj Campton Place
Westin St. Francis

Miscellaneous Recommendations

1 Hotel (ex-Hotel Vitale)
Hotel Drisco (Pacific Heights)
Hotel Triton
Hotel Zetta Viceroy
Inn at Cavallo Point (Marin Cnty.)
Inn at the Presidio
The Battery
The Zeppelin

Print Wikipost

San Francisco luxury hotels

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2013, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I cannot imagine how anyone can regard the location of the Mark Hopkins as particularly good. You will be walking up steep hills to get back there from most any SF tourist sight, or be taking a LOT of taxis. Yes you can ride the California Street cable car; the Powell cars are often going to be full. And although I haven't stayed at the Mark, I've eaten there and it certainly did not strike me that the restaurants were characteristic of a luxury hotel.
Some people like to stay on top of Nob Hill- if you consider the Huntingdon, the Fairmont, the IC, the Ritz-Carlton, and the Stanford Court are all in this area.

Personally I do agree with you that walking up the hill is fun the first 3 times and not so fun afterwards. If you have a car it is a little better however traffic in this area is also often a bit of a pain.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
MOSF ( or any MO ) does not do points
That´s not 100% correct, you can earn airline miles (One world, staralliance) and sometimes redeem Amex award points (bad deal, but it´s possible)

Last edited by offerendum; Aug 1, 2013 at 1:52 am
Old Aug 1, 2013, 1:50 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by offerendum
That´s not 100% correct, you can earn airline miles (One world, staralliance).
Oh , forgot about airmiles not MO points ..
Old Aug 1, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: DE,UN,StarwoodGold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I cannot imagine how anyone can regard the location of the Mark Hopkins as particularly good. You will be walking up steep hills to get back there from most any SF tourist sight, or be taking a LOT of taxis. Yes you can ride the California Street cable car; the Powell cars are often going to be full. And although I haven't stayed at the Mark, I've eaten there and it certainly did not strike me that the restaurants were characteristic of a luxury hotel.
That's what taxis were invented for! Actually can believe the restaurants there don't seem so stellar -- but then you just walk DOWN the hill in many directions to find something great, and taxi back after dinner. The location just above and slightly detached from all its surroundings -- with killer views to match -- would be a strong selling point for many, not so much if you want to be in the middle of lots action right outside the front door. But the hill -- well that has its own glamour, less so I admit if you live there...

Last edited by time2go1st; Aug 1, 2013 at 10:25 am Reason: add reply
Old Aug 1, 2013, 2:12 pm

Thanks for the replies. Booked the huntington. Spa and bar look to have more character than the others. We'll just take a cab to/from the hotel if the mighty hill gets the best of us. Ill report back after the trip. Thanks.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: DE,UN,StarwoodGold
Huntington sounds like a lovely choice if you like a beautifully maintained classic property; as I recall it was good enough to be Liz Taylor's preferred choice for her stays in the city. Also, it's nice just to stroll around the top of Nob Hill, daytime or evening -- see the Cathedral right there, stop into the other hotels to check them out or have drinks, drink in views from every direction, etc. I'm sure you'll have a great time there -- let us know how it goes!
Old Aug 2, 2013, 11:14 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by time2go1st
Huntington sounds like a lovely choice if you like a beautifully maintained classic property; as I recall it was good enough to be Liz Taylor's preferred choice for her stays in the city. Also, it's nice just to stroll around the top of Nob Hill, daytime or evening -- see the Cathedral right there, stop into the other hotels to check them out or have drinks, drink in views from every direction, etc. I'm sure you'll have a great time there -- let us know how it goes!
1+
Beautiful location and has a slightly different feeling since there are real neighborhoods where people live nearby. Not just hotels.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 8:22 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
Given the lack of really interesting options, I always opt for the Pacific-Union Club at 225 USD a night in a deluxe room.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 4:43 pm

Recently spent two nights at the Ritz San Francisco.

I love the location / area.

Parallel 37 itself is worth a visit even if you are not staying at the hotel. Chef Michael Rotondo and Camber (well known in SF bar circles) running the bar / mixology make for a wonderful combination.

The lobby bar is OK, classic grand dame San Francisco. Fun people watching.

My original room had some issues, which I notified the front desk about. Not expecting anything, but two hours later a manager calls to ask if I would like to move to a suite. OK, yes.

Very big and nice room, but again, in the classic style. I like this style (not always, but sometimes), and I really liked the huge suite they moved us to.

They are beginning a complete(?) renovation of the rooms, and apparently after building out some test concepts have decided on their new style. I did not get to see a new room, but it sounds like a serious 'modernization' is underway.

That's ok, if you want grand dame you can always stay at the Fairmont once the Ritz finishes their renovations.

Overall a very pleasant stay. The staff is wonderful top to bottom.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by LarkSFO

Parallel 37 itself is worth a visit even if you are not staying at the hotel. Chef Michael Rotondo and Camber (well known in SF bar circles) running the bar / mixology make for a wonderful combination.

My original room had some issues, which I notified the front desk about. Not expecting anything, but two hours later a manager calls to ask if I would like to move to a suite. OK, yes.

Very big and nice room, but again, in the classic style. I like this style (not always, but sometimes), and I really liked the huge suite they moved us to.

They are beginning a complete(?) renovation of the rooms, and apparently after building out some test concepts have decided on their new style. I did not get to see a new room, but it sounds like a serious 'modernization' is underway.

That's ok, if you want grand dame you can always stay at the Fairmont once the Ritz finishes their renovations.

Good to hear you liked it. Wish I could say the same
Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO

How high up the hill is the RC? We have a suite booked for Labor Day week. Need a 2-room suite as we have a baby. A bit worried about shlepping the stroller up and down, though I get the impression that the RC is not so far up the hill (unlike the Fairmont, etc). Is that correct?

To others - are there any other better 2-room suite options that I am missing? Of the hotels I see mentioned here, only the Taj has a suite at the $500-600 level (and that one is tiny with a windowless parlor, though maybe would get upgraded through FHR). The only other options I've found in SF are the Clift and the Kimpton hotels.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by tubulus
How high up the hill is the RC? We have a suite booked for Labor Day week. Need a 2-room suite as we have a baby. A bit worried about shlepping the stroller up and down, though I get the impression that the RC is not so far up the hill (unlike the Fairmont, etc). Is that correct?
This is correct, it`s not a very Long way. Otherwise it`s a hill and from my memory at one point we always walked over steps to Union Square. To Fishermans Wharf etc. the way is much too far in my eyes.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!

To others - are there any other better 2-room suite options that I am missing? Of the hotels I see mentioned here, only the Taj has a suite at the $500-600 level (and that one is tiny with a windowless parlor, though maybe would get upgraded through FHR). The only other options I've found in SF are the Clift and the Kimpton hotels.
It would say it is halfway to the top of Nob Hill or a tad more. The steps down to Union Square and Chinatown are a help, but probably not with a stroller. I like the Taj better for style of rooms, and location-- and, you don't have to worry about a hill.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 5:12 pm

I thought it was pretty far up the hill myself (from Market), but I guess I could be in better shape! With a stroller I think it would be a challenge, but not undoable.

If you are going to be walking around San Francisco a lot, of course you are expecting to go up and down alot anyway.

Is this an option? I know they have larger multi-room suites there, but have never stayed myself: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/fairm...li-square.html

This looks like a cool little tool:

"Colors show which streets go uphill or downhill when you approach them from the stick-figure location marker"

http://hillmapper.com/#16/map/37.781...3450/-104/-273

This is not luxury related, but I found it interesting:

"Currently, only one new hotel is under construction in San Francisco, a 172-room Hampton Inn that will open in the fall at 942 Mission St. The last new hotel built in San Francisco was the Intercontinental at Fifth and Howard streets, which opened in 2008."

"Hotels currently are above 80 percent occupancy, a historical high for the city. Average room rates jumped 13.4 percent over the past 12 months to $203.18, according to STR Global, a hotel industry research group. "

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...=hp-hc-bayarea

Last edited by LarkSFO; Jul 22, 2014 at 8:45 pm
Old Sep 14, 2014, 8:12 pm
Original Member

We live on the peninsula so stay in San Francisco often for opera, symphony, theatre, art exhibitions. Because we aren't tourists (we used to live in the city), location is unimportant. With that in mind we love the rooms (and views) at the Mandarin Oriental. We also like to get a suite at the Ritz on the club level. Love the food presentations there, not so wild about their Parallel 37 restaurant. Actually, not wild about the food offerings at the MO, either.

Can't abide the minimalist ethos on offer at the Four Seasons and St. Regis. Purely a matter of personal taste.

Speaking of which, whilst it's true the Ritz badly needs refurbishment, the pricing of rooms in this luxury hotel is very attractive. Meanwhile, the Ritz lobby HAS been redone and is positively awful but that's ok since we have the club lounge in which to repose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.