Reload this Page >

San Francisco luxury hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2023, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
This is a list of the properties discussed in this thread, excluding a few merely mentioned in passing.

Luxury Hotels

Fairmont
Fairmont Heritage Place Ghirardelli Square
Four Seasons
Four Seasons at Embarcadero (ex-Loews Regency, ex-Mandarin Oriental)
Huntington Hotel
Le Meridien
Mark Hopkins
Ritz-Carlton
St. Regis
Stanford Court

Upscale Hotels

Clift (ex-Four Seasons)
Grand Hyatt
InterContinental (5th & Howard Streets)
InterContinental (Nob Hill)
Pacific-Union Club
Taj Campton Place
Westin St. Francis

Miscellaneous Recommendations

1 Hotel (ex-Hotel Vitale)
Hotel Drisco (Pacific Heights)
Hotel Triton
Hotel Zetta Viceroy
Inn at Cavallo Point (Marin Cnty.)
Inn at the Presidio
The Battery
The Zeppelin

Print Wikipost

San Francisco luxury hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2013, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by epitopeX
It seems nobody has mentioned the Fairmont properties. Both Fairmonts in San Fran are amazing. If you like "old world grandiose" luxury properties, Fairmont will be your choice in SF.
They are certainly old with a grandeur of another era which unfortunately they haven't been able to maintain that well...

I don't personally consider Fairmont a luxury hotel group. A few of their properties could be considered luxury.

The SF Fairmonts do have some historical appeal which the top tier properties admittedly lack but sadly they are not anywhere close to the FS, MO, and SR.

They are essentially Tier 2 properties, along with the Taj.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Blackbook
They are certainly old with a grandeur of another era which unfortunately they haven't been able to maintain that well...

I don't personally consider Fairmont a luxury hotel group. A few of their properties could be considered luxury.

The SF Fairmonts do have some historical appeal which the top tier properties admittedly lack but sadly they are not anywhere close to the FS, MO, and SR.

They are essentially Tier 2 properties, along with the Taj.
I probably will agree with you on the general comment that Fairmont is Tier 2, as many of their properties are not luxury hotels. But Fairmont does have some top notch properties like The Plaza in NYC and The Savoy in London. Their SF properties are amazing if you stay in a Tower Suite or better. Maybe a year ago there was a promotion selling the Penthouse Suite at Fairmont SF for USD10,000; I think that was really a steal at that price.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

anyone stayed at http://www.innatthepresidio.com/ ?

Originally Posted by Blackbook
Originally Posted by epitopeX
It seems nobody has mentioned the Fairmont properties. Both Fairmonts in San Fran are amazing. If you like "old world grandiose" luxury properties, Fairmont will be your choice in SF.
They are certainly old with a grandeur of another era which unfortunately they haven't been able to maintain that well

The SF Fairmonts do have some historical appeal

They are essentially Tier 2
one of the newest SF luxury hotels, opened aug 2008
53 fractional residences, operated as condohotel
(Exclusive Resorts owns 12 units)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 13, 2014 at 2:11 pm
Old Jul 26, 2013, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
anyone stayed at http://www.innatthepresidio.com/ ?

one of the newest SF luxury hotels, opened aug 2008
53 fractional residences, operated as condohotel
(exclusive resorts owns 12 units)
I have stayed at Ghiradelli Square. Essentially a timeshare project- good if in SF for work on a longer stay and want the space of an apartment instead of a hotel room.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I have stayed at Ghiradelli Square. Essentially a timeshare project- good if in SF for work on a longer stay and want the space of an apartment instead of a hotel room.
For longer stays the RC Destination club also provides a good option (and they offer great deals).
Old Jul 26, 2013, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by vincentb89
I think the RC is overlooked just because there's way better in town in term of room product (FS,MO,SR).
It´s very high rated (only 5 Diamond hotel, only 5 star hotel in town at Michelin), but not really amazing. In my eyes SF lacks a outstanding luxury hotel, but of course I don´t know all properties.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by offerendum
It´s very high rated (only 5 Diamond hotel, only 5 star hotel in town at Michelin), but not really amazing. In my eyes SF lacks a outstanding luxury hotel, but of course I don´t know all properties.
RC used to be very good on club level- however I think it has needed a renovation for a few years now.

FS was good when it started and then seemed to go downhill.

The old FS was a very good hotel for service.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: DE,UN,StarwoodGold
Here's another one that was at least at one time considered luxury level -- the Clift. When I was in one of the rooms some years ago my friends found it very acceptable (and they were kind of picky New Yorkers not easy to please!), but did not seem to me to have really a luxury vibe -- just nice; the classic dining room very nice. However since it's deep renovation more recently, maybe it's actually better as an updated luxury offering? would assume no major health facilities and certainly no pool though, due to the age of its physical structure, but even that not so sure what they were able to accomplish with the deep re-do of a few years ago. at least I know the famous bar is still there, that would be a reason to stop for drinks if nothing else...
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Echo the general sentiment here...St. Reg is the way to go. Nothing wrong with the MO for me, either, but St. Regis just more to taste.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by time2go1st
Here's another one that was at least at one time considered luxury level -- the Clift. When I was in one of the rooms some years ago my friends found it very acceptable (and they were kind of picky New Yorkers not easy to please!), but did not seem to me to have really a luxury vibe -- just nice; the classic dining room very nice. However since it's deep renovation more recently, maybe it's actually better as an updated luxury offering? would assume no major health facilities and certainly no pool though, due to the age of its physical structure, but even that not so sure what they were able to accomplish with the deep re-do of a few years ago. at least I know the famous bar is still there, that would be a reason to stop for drinks if nothing else...
The Clift was the Four Seasons.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 1:55 pm

The Clift was the Four Seasons.
Yes that does ring a bell now you mention it; today identified as part of the Morgans Group, I think the FS days were well before the newest re-design top to bottom from Phillipe Starck et al.

Just now looked at their webpage; kind of an odd décor, but the Redwood Room is intact and probably sleeker than ever; rooms sleek too in a post-modern sort of way; and they do have a fitness center 24/7, with access to a pool a couple of blocks away. So in its current reincarnation, it seems pretty nice and OP might like it; any thoughts on whether it can fairly be called luxury today? Especially as to service matters?
Old Jul 26, 2013, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by time2go1st
Yes that does ring a bell now you mention it; today identified as part of the Morgans Group, I think the FS days were well before the newest re-design top to bottom from Phillipe Starck et al.

Just now looked at their webpage; kind of an odd décor, but the Redwood Room is intact and probably sleeker than ever; rooms sleek too in a post-modern sort of way; and they do have a fitness center 24/7, with access to a pool a couple of blocks away. So in its current reincarnation, it seems pretty nice and OP might like it; any thoughts on whether it can fairly be called luxury today? Especially as to service matters?

I have been to the bar a couple of times for drinks. The furniture which used to be old and very classy has been replaced with some plexiglass things which are extremely uncomfortable. The excellent piano player in tuxedo has been replaced by a DJ. People are friendly enough who work there however I don't think it is much of a luxury hotel anymore unfortunately. As a Four Seasons the staff were wonderful. Also the excellent restaurant had morphed into something super trendy which then became part of the Asia de Cuba chain and then closed all together.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 5:33 pm

Ouch -- that pretty much answers my question, thanks, but I'd have hoped for another answer! Actually had recalled the Clift as something of a throwback to an older, more gracious and elegant SF; but not the case anymore I guess. Really sorry to hear about the change of staff, change to a DJ in the Redwood Room and the loss of a lovely old-school dining room -- too few of those left these days. Anyhow thanks for sharing, it's better to know the truth I suppose!
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:16 pm

Programs: QF CL
I stayed at Ghiradelli Square with my family in a three bedroom apartment in mid-2011 and agree with this assessment.

I found the apartment to be extremely spacious, comfortable and well-appointed (eg Wolf and Sub-Zero appliances in the kitchen). It's a factory conversion and still retains what you might call an "elegant warehouse" feel in the rooms, with some exposed brick walls, high ceilings, large windows and so forth. Each bedroom was the size of and fitted out like a large-ish luxury hotel room, with its own large bathroom and robes, TV etc. It's ideal for families (or groups) for that reason. But it doesn't come with the other services and amenities one would expect at a luxury hotel. Breakfast was a waste of time and the other local options were limited. Location is also a factor - a very touristy area that won't be for everyone.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Baghoarder
I stayed at Ghiradelli Square with my family in a three bedroom apartment in mid-2011 and agree with this assessment.

I found the apartment to be extremely spacious, comfortable and well-appointed (eg Wolf and Sub-Zero appliances in the kitchen). It's a factory conversion and still retains what you might call an "elegant warehouse" feel in the rooms, with some exposed brick walls, high ceilings, large windows and so forth. Each bedroom was the size of and fitted out like a large-ish luxury hotel room, with its own large bathroom and robes, TV etc. It's ideal for families (or groups) for that reason. But it doesn't come with the other services and amenities one would expect at a luxury hotel. Breakfast was a waste of time and the other local options were limited. Location is also a factor - a very touristy area that won't be for everyone.
Similar feel to what I had- I think a nice timeshare project however not a luxury option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.