Wiki Posts
Search

Aman New Delhi... Un-Aman?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2012, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, FHR, SPG
Aman New Delhi... Un-Aman?

We are currently staying at the Aman New Delhi, I know this is the only hotel not sold in the recent deal. Is it possible the management has changed already? It feels decidedly Un-Aman. We were met at the airport in a innova. No snacks or water or cold towels offered. No activity or spa brochures in the car. Then upon arrival no welcome drink or towels. Also no activities brochure in the rooms at all. The concierge seemed confused about activities as well and wrote down a list of things we could do.

We were sent a list of activities in advance from central booking awhile back and when we brought up one of the special dinners listed they had no idea what we were talking about.

Still a beautiful hotel...but very strange.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Other things I've noticed:

-No other Aman brochures in hotel library or in rooms.
-Only DLF magazines in room
-No check in questionnaire with what other Amans have you been to.
-no bag or hats in room
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:10 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by cjthekid
Other things I've noticed:

-No other Aman brochures in hotel library or in rooms.
-Only DLF magazines in room
-No check in questionnaire with what other Amans have you been to.
-no bag or hats in room
No answer to your question cjthekid, but appreciate the head up. We are planning a trip to India and will be sure to look into this before booking!
Old Dec 27, 2012, 3:09 am

This might not fully answer your question, but:

"Amanresorts now manages and operates two resorts in India, Amanbagh and Aman-i-Khás in Rajasthan. The DLF-owned and managed Aman New Delhi, is being rebranded as 'The Lodhi', and will be launched on 1 February 2013. The 'Aman India Journey' continues to include The Lodhi for Aman guests to enjoy a combined visit to Rajasthan and the gateway city of New Delhi."
Old Dec 27, 2012, 6:48 am

Robyn Bickford and her husband Manav Garewal have stayed on as joint GMs at The Lodhi Delhi, but do not expect an Aman experience now. Everything is changing by the minute. They cannot have a spa menu because they are currently looking at new spa products etc - hence nothing in the car. It's ALL going to change, I'm afraid!
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:40 am

Apparently the Aman resorts have been sold back to its original founder for $300mm. DLF, which owned the Aman chain having been selling off non-core assets. The Delhi property was carved out from this transaction.

Assuming properties, such as the Sveti Stefani, are actually fully owned by the chain, I don't quite understand how $300mm is a realistic price tag - seems as if it should have been much higher.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Apparently the Aman resorts have been sold back to its original founder for $300mm. DLF, which owned the Aman chain having been selling off non-core assets. The Delhi property was carved out from this transaction.

Assuming properties, such as the Sveti Stefani, are actually fully owned by the chain, I don't quite understand how $300mm is a realistic price tag - seems as if it should have been much higher.
That's correct. The $300 million, however, is not for the hard product. Many of the resorts are owned by investors, such as Canyon Equity (Amangiri, Amangani, Le Melezin) to Dolphin Capital (Amanruya) and various government bodies (Aman Sveti Stefan + Greek investor). The money is for the management contracts mainly.

Aman Delhi - the land and the hotel - were owned by DLF. Aman just managed it - which is why DLF wanted to keep it, as it is seriously valuable real estate in the heart of Delhi, with much potential for further private residences.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
That's correct. The $300 million, however, is not for the hard product. Many of the resorts are owned by investors, such as Canyon Equity (Amangiri, Amangani, Le Melezin) to Dolphin Capital (Amanruya) and various government bodies (Aman Sveti Stefan + Greek investor). The money is for the management contracts mainly.

Aman Delhi - the land and the hotel - were owned by DLF. Aman just managed it - which is why DLF wanted to keep it, as it is seriously valuable real estate in the heart of Delhi, with much potential for further private residences.
That's what I thought - the articles I read mentioned nothing of whether it was the operating leases of the "full package". If the latter I assumed there were some "local dealings" involved. In which case, for 22 properties, does seem like a rather steep price tag for the brand plus operating leases which are not guranteed more than x years.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

I would not be surprised at an attempt at a condotel at the site, perhaps even with or followed by a demolition of the current plant. I wouldn't even be surprised if the property were picked up for even a substantial premium by the GOI that comes with some chai for a former neighbor of mine courtesy of another former neighbor of mine. That is why I expected DLF to retain the property despite this transaction.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
That's what I thought - the articles I read mentioned nothing of whether it was the operating leases of the "full package". If the latter I assumed there were some "local dealings" involved. In which case, for 22 properties, does seem like a rather steep price tag for the brand plus operating leases which are not guranteed more than x years.
No, not steep at all. Aman is priceless.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:19 pm
Suspended

No, not steep at all. Aman is priceless.
Goodwill and intangible assets do have a price in such transactions.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post19806862

aman has problems with debt
vaturi half was indebted, lee hing acquired, presumably/hopefully only net loser because of debt
DLF ended up acquiring then selling 100%
we dont know anything about this new $300mm (more debt will hurt net even more)

DLF is already operating lodhi suites (room categories at hotel) as apartment-style it seems
whatever they do, theyre planning to make a lot on land
seems aman acquired land for not much (i posted figure in aman thread)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 27, 2012 at 10:27 pm
Old Dec 28, 2012, 4:59 am
Suspended

In fact, a party associated with DLF acquired the land earlier for a fraction of actual market value.

India has some of the most creative land transactions possible engaged in to create non-taxable income, launder money, and/or line the pockets of the politically-connected (businesspersons, politicians or otherwise) -- many of these transactions are off-book arrangements to say the least. Combined with being granted waivers and a possibility to sell things to the government at a premium, transactions related to this property are going to make some in India a good chunk of money that wouldn't otherwise be coming their way.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.divest.nic.in/StrategicSale.asp - official >
Lodhi Hotel, New Delhi Strategic sale Silverlink Holdings Ltd. & Consortium 89.97 [%] 71.93 [crore]
http://books.google.com/books?id=2H0...0hotel&f=false - official? >
ITDC Hotels Lodhi Hotel Delhi 100% Silverlink Holdings 76 [crore] Feb 2002
silverlink = aman
official/first does mention consortium

http://articles.economictimes.indiat...els-silverlink example of coverage in 2002 "70 crore"
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post19890344 quote from aman in 2004 "76.25 crore"

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 9, 2014 at 8:57 pm
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Robyn Bickford and her husband Manav Garewal have stayed on as joint GMs at The Lodhi Delhi, but do not expect an Aman experience now. Everything is changing by the minute. They cannot have a spa menu because they are currently looking at new spa products etc - hence nothing in the car. It's ALL going to change, I'm afraid!
That's what I figured. It's amazing how evident it was from even our first point of contact. The hotel was still nice, and we had great spa treatments in the beautiful spa but it just didn't feel the same. We even got a bill once at the restaurant *gasp*. The excursions were the most disappointing. That and being charge $200 to use the hotel car to get to dinner 10 minutes away.

I still would recommend the hotel. The rooms are beautiful. Just don't expect Aman magic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.