Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tea Trails, Sri Lanka

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2013, 9:56 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by cakegirl
I just saw a Tea Trails review (on Mr. & Mrs. Smith) that talked about "dressing" for dinner at Tea Trails- jackets for men and cocktail dresses for women. This is not how I pictured it and not how I was hoping to pack! Those of you who have been there, was is appropriate attire?
It is completely unnecessary. We only had one or two other people when we were inhouse. They remained in casual attire. Staff certainly doesn't care. It is as if you are in your own home, and you make your decisions for your own comfort.
Old May 16, 2013, 11:05 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
You can wear whatever you want - jeans, etc.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I would like to revive this thread back to life and ask a few questions of the Ceylon Tea Trails and Sri Lanka sages in this crew. In the spirit of inductive reasoning, my main question is if you had 6 nights in Sri Lanka and you wanted to spend 3-4 at Maya in Tangalle would you do 3ish at Ceylon Tea Trails, 2ish at Tri at Lake Koggala, or suggest somewhere else between Tangalle and Colombo?

In November 2016 my wife and I are planning a trip to Sri Lanka from the USA for 7 nights on the ground in Sri Lanka. Right now we are booked on award tickets for American Airlines first class but will optimistically switch them Cathay or JAL first class as the dates get closer. We will be leaving our 18 month old at home with her grandparents and are excited for a week of culture, adventure, relaxation, and luxury.

We arrive around 10:00PM on a Sunday night and plan to stay at a hotel near the airport. Then we have 6 nights in Sri Lanka from Monday until the following Sunday when we are on a flight Sunday at 7:45PM to head home.

I am intrigued by the Maya resort near Tangalle. I like not being directly on the beach although within striking distance of Amanwalle, and the value for money of that resort seems great. And with the new highway it looks like its only about a 3.5 hour drive from Colombo. If we did 3-4 nights here that would leave 2-3 nights for somewhere else.

For that somewhere else I was thinking of the Ceylon Tea Trails, especially if we did 3 nights here and not just 2. The reviews are incredible, as noted here and Tripadvisor. One reservation I have is would it be too similiar to the Maya experience? Another option I am looking at is the Lake Koggala region and especially the Tri resort there part of Mr. and Mrs. Smith. If we did 4 nights at Maya we could do 2 nights here on the return and also get a chance to take in Galle. We could then return by car to Colombo in time for our 7:45PM flight.

We thought about the Aman resorts but would rather stay elsewhere but maybe use their restaurant, bar, or pools if convenient and interesting. We don't wish to be right on the beach.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by beofotch
I would like to revive this thread back to life and ask a few questions of the Ceylon Tea Trails and Sri Lanka sages in this crew. In the spirit of inductive reasoning, my main question is if you had 6 nights in Sri Lanka and you wanted to spend 3-4 at Maya in Tangalle would you do 3ish at Ceylon Tea Trails, 2ish at Tri at Lake Koggala, or suggest somewhere else between Tangalle and Colombo?

In November 2016 my wife and I are planning a trip to Sri Lanka from the USA for 7 nights on the ground in Sri Lanka. Right now we are booked on award tickets for American Airlines first class but will optimistically switch them Cathay or JAL first class as the dates get closer. We will be leaving our 18 month old at home with her grandparents and are excited for a week of culture, adventure, relaxation, and luxury.

We arrive around 10:00PM on a Sunday night and plan to stay at a hotel near the airport. Then we have 6 nights in Sri Lanka from Monday until the following Sunday when we are on a flight Sunday at 7:45PM to head home.

I am intrigued by the Maya resort near Tangalle. I like not being directly on the beach although within striking distance of Amanwalle, and the value for money of that resort seems great. And with the new highway it looks like its only about a 3.5 hour drive from Colombo. If we did 3-4 nights here that would leave 2-3 nights for somewhere else.

For that somewhere else I was thinking of the Ceylon Tea Trails, especially if we did 3 nights here and not just 2. The reviews are incredible, as noted here and Tripadvisor. One reservation I have is would it be too similiar to the Maya experience? Another option I am looking at is the Lake Koggala region and especially the Tri resort there part of Mr. and Mrs. Smith. If we did 4 nights at Maya we could do 2 nights here on the return and also get a chance to take in Galle. We could then return by car to Colombo in time for our 7:45PM flight.

We thought about the Aman resorts but would rather stay elsewhere but maybe use their restaurant, bar, or pools if convenient and interesting. We don't wish to be right on the beach.
If you do this, you should take the float plane from Tea Trails to the coast; any other plan could mean the whole day, more or less, is consumed by the transfer. Sri Lankan roads, with the exception of the toll highway, are slow. Zootopia sloth slow. I also think 1 week is a bit crazy; SL is 10-12 hours different in time zones, and there is so much to do. Having said that if you only have one week then it is what it is.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:35 am

After quite a few years of blowing hot and cold about Sri Lanka, I've finally booked a trip for next February. We fly Business Class on Sri Lankan Airways to Colombo, drive to Kandy for two nights, then train down to Hatton for the Tea Trails. We've selected Summerville largely because of aa213bb's fabulous thread -

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...amangalla.html

and in particular a stunning photograph of the Summerville pool and the misty reservoir beyond. We are taking the road from Tea Trails to Galle as we want to see the towns, villages and scenery.

We're at Galle for two nights (Galle Fort rather than Amangalla) and then two beach resorts on the west coast - Calamansi Cove and Saman Villas - and then it's only a short drive back to the airport. We nixed Amanwella as it's in the wrong direction and looks just a bit too insulated.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Pausanias
After quite a few years of blowing hot and cold about Sri Lanka, I've finally booked a trip for next February. We fly Business Class on Sri Lankan Airways to Colombo, drive to Kandy for two nights, then train down to Hatton for the Tea Trails. We've selected Summerville largely because of aa213bb's fabulous thread -

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...amangalla.html

and in particular a stunning photograph of the Summerville pool and the misty reservoir beyond. We are taking the road from Tea Trails to Galle as we want to see the towns, villages and scenery.

We're at Galle for two nights (Galle Fort rather than Amangalla) and then two beach resorts on the west coast - Calamansi Cove and Saman Villas - and then it's only a short drive back to the airport. We nixed Amanwella as it's in the wrong direction and looks just a bit too insulated.
I am surprised you are not staying a night or two at the beautifully renovated Galle Face hotel in Colombo, which should appeal to your love of the historic.

Saman Villas goes back years - it was one of the very first resort hotels in Sri Lanka and was my first taste of the country back in the 1980s. I will be interested to hear how the years have treated it.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I am surprised you are not staying a night or two at the beautifully renovated Galle Face hotel in Colombo, which should appeal to your love of the historic.

Saman Villas goes back years - it was one of the very first resort hotels in Sri Lanka and was my first taste of the country back in the 1980s. I will be interested to hear how the years have treated it.
. I spent a night at Galle force when my flight got cancelled. It's an okay hotel, not all rooms are renovated yet. It is in a great location though, right on the beach!
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
I would only recommend leaving the south if you are comfortable taking the sea planes. If you are planning on driving between locations, then stay in the south.
We went to the Tea Trails in December and it was ok. I would recommend going to Kandy / Cultural Triangle if you are going to leave the south over the Tea Trails. Do not get me wrong, we enjoyed our time there, but if you are going to go all the way to Sri Lanka, I think it would be better to see more of Sri Lanka's history as opposed to reading a book by the pool (which is better done in the south anyways). If you had more time, it might be different, but for just 6/7 nights, there is so much to see in Sri Lanka that I think you would be missing out in the Tea Trails
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by beofotch
For that somewhere else I was thinking of the Ceylon Tea Trails, especially if we did 3 nights here and not just 2. The reviews are incredible, as noted here and Tripadvisor.
I highly recommend Tea Trails, but please do note that the drive from the coast up will take a good part of the day.

Originally Posted by Pausanias
We've selected Summerville largely because of aa213bb's fabulous thread ... and in particular a stunning photograph of the Summerville pool and the misty reservoir beyond.
That's very kind of you, Pausanias. I know you've gone back and forth, and I do hope you'll have an amazing time.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:56 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by uclabruin82
I would only recommend leaving the south if you are comfortable taking the sea planes. If you are planning on driving between locations, then stay in the south.
We went to the Tea Trails in December and it was ok. I would recommend going to Kandy / Cultural Triangle if you are going to leave the south over the Tea Trails. Do not get me wrong, we enjoyed our time there, but if you are going to go all the way to Sri Lanka, I think it would be better to see more of Sri Lanka's history as opposed to reading a book by the pool (which is better done in the south anyways). If you had more time, it might be different, but for just 6/7 nights, there is so much to see in Sri Lanka that I think you would be missing out in the Tea Trails
Solid advice. We loved the Tea Trails, but it was our 3rd or 4th or 5th trip to Sri Lanka when we were looking for new adventures. The cultural heart of Sri Lanka was fascinating, so much more than I expected. In and of itself, it takes a week.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by uclabruin82
I would recommend going to Kandy / Cultural Triangle if you are going to leave the south over the Tea Trails. Do not get me wrong, we enjoyed our time there, but if you are going to go all the way to Sri Lanka, I think it would be better to see more of Sri Lanka's history as opposed to reading a book by the pool (which is better done in the south anyways). If you had more time, it might be different, but for just 6/7 nights, there is so much to see in Sri Lanka that I think you would be missing out in the Tea Trails
+1

I am not the one to comment on the way other people choose to spend their holidays but that is exactly what I thought when I read the above posts.

Missing out on, amongst others, the cultural triangle (even the condensed 3-4 day version) to go to Tea Trails is criminal in my opinion.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
Has anyone stayed at the recently opened Dunkeld, the newest of Tea Trail bungalows? We currently have a Summerville booked for our upcoming trip to Sri Lanka. Supposedly it has gone through a renovation this year as well? Hard to decide which one to choose.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

re tea trails

http://www.resplendentceylon.com/teatrails/
http://www.resplendentceylon.com/capeweligama/
http://www.resplendentceylon.com/resorts/

Wild Coast Lodge will open end 2016 on a secluded beach in leopard hotspot Yala National Park and Red Rocks Beach Camp follows on a pristine sandy beach near Trincomalee on the North East coast. A lakeside resort near Sigiriya, in the Cultural Triangle
http://www.resplendentceylon.com/res...sttentedlodge/ "opening end 2016"
http://www.resplendentceylon.com/resorts/sigiriya/ "opening end 2017"

http://www.resplendentceylon.com/off...ane-transfers/
All transfers via seaplane, Airport -Tea Trails - Cape Weligama - Airport
http://www.cinnamonair.com/destinations.html
scheduled fights >
CMB - castlereagh - koggala
CMB - kandy - koggala / dickwella
CMB - Sigiriya - trincomalee

http://www.srilanka.travel/air_taxi

re visiting certain places, most on this forum do not only visit a place one time

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 26, 2016 at 7:12 am
Old Oct 9, 2016, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by teme
Has anyone stayed at the recently opened Dunkeld, the newest of Tea Trail bungalows? We currently have a Summerville booked for our upcoming trip to Sri Lanka. Supposedly it has gone through a renovation this year as well? Hard to decide which one to choose.
Hi. Wondering what you ended up going with? Would be interested if anyone can chime in re Dunkeld. Planning on a Jan visit.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 12:31 am

We have had to slightly tweak our trip to Sri Lanka in February because of rebuilding work at Colombo airport. The original flight arrival & departure times were convenient but now they are not - the airport is closed to all traffic during the day Jan-Apr 2017 and possibly beyond, neccessitating a night in Colombo at both ends of the trip. Our outbound flight now goes via Male which is a real bore because the whole point of flying with Sri Lankan Airlines was the direct flight!

People planning a visit to Sri Lanka next year would be well advised to check the flight schedules.

Last edited by Pausanias; Oct 10, 2016 at 3:02 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.