Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Most luxurious African safari accommodations?

Old Oct 2, 2012, 2:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many

For various reasons, my mother doesn't want my father to get the yellow fever shot, so of the safari options below the yellow fever line, of which I think Namibia and Botswana are probably the best, what would you recommend as the best options.

Our goals are 1. to see as much varied big game as possible and 2. To stay in the most comfortable and luxurious accommodations on offer while still facilitating goal #1. This would be a family trip.

The flexible time frame would be mid-Jan to early April.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 3:19 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
The short answer....anything Singita.

Would you consider a luxury "tent"? My favorite safari experiences were in the wilds of Botswana where you really felt like you were on safari. There are many luxury tents there.

And don't get so caught up in the big five that you forget to look at all the magical little things like frogs, chameleons, very colorful birds, dung beetles, etc.

Have you researched time of year? Is this the green season? If so, you will want to consider that too when choosing a location. Visibility of game....
Old Oct 2, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2BR? budget?

you mention yellow fever shot, what about malaria? thats pill form?

not namibia. only botswana (&beyond, wilderness safaris, OE) or south africa (lots) as well?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 2, 2012 at 5:56 pm
Old Oct 2, 2012, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Namibia isnt really a safari destination. Yellow fever isnt really a big concern in Botswana and South Africa, however malaria is except for the Cape Area, Pilanesberg and Madikwe which are malaria-free. If you want to do a safari in a malaria-free area, your choices are obviously more limited (though there definitely are some great lodges in those areas). Otherwise there are dozens and dozens of luxury lodges and tents.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

botswana >

andbeyond
- 250km2 - 9 xaranna + 9 xudum $650 / $910 (private pools, instead of main pool)
x 8 sandibe $570 / $775 no AC, no indoor shower
x 9 nxabega $570 / $775 no AC, power "most of the day"

orient express (room power only for razors?)
- 12 - savute elephant camp (wireless internet)
- 12 incl 1 suite with private pool - eagle island camp
- 16 incl 1 suite with private pool - khwai river lodge

those presented details like AC very easily, the rest not so much >

wilderness safaris wilderness collection ("exceptional")
abu - new site has rates (from $3430 dbl / $2310 sgl) 1,619km2 shared with seba camp and macatoo camp

wilderness safaris premier ("highest level")
jao camp
kings pool camp
little mombo camp
mombo camp
vumbura plains - 526km2 shared with little vumbura
zarafa camp

wilderness safaris & http://www.greatplainsconservation.com/
1,295km2 - 4 zarafa + 8 selinda camp + 4 selinda explorers camp + 4 selinda canoe trail
311km2 - 6 duba plains camp

sanctuary (abercombie & kent)
1,052km2 - 5 baines' camp $675 / $755 + 8 stanley's camp $565 / $630
12 chief's camp $995 / $1160
15 chobe chilwero $620 / $695

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Cape Area, Pilanesberg and Madikwe which are malaria-free
since "malaria free" is limited >
http://www.africatravelresource.com/...hafrica/north/
madikwe >
- morukuru is 3 private villas, jan 10-31 rates = $1613 2BR (2 guests) / $2114 3BR (4 guests) / $3172 5BR (6 guests)
- mateya is virtuoso/harper, 5 air-conditioned suites, 4 guest per vehicle limit

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 27, 2014 at 6:12 pm
Old Oct 2, 2012, 7:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
2BR? budget?

you mention yellow fever shot, what about malaria? thats pill form?

not namibia. only botswana (&beyond, wilderness safaris, OE) or south africa (lots) as well?
Malaria is no concern, plenty of prior experience with maleron. No budget, not looking for a 2BR, we would get separate rooms.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

just botswana or south africa as well?

Originally Posted by Ericka
The short answer....anything Singita.

My favorite safari experiences were in the wilds of Botswana where you really felt like you were on safari.
south africa has singita and other incredible accommodations options. (more over the top than singita)

andbeyond does both - in south africa, phinda has private villas and a private lodge. leadwood is 4 rooms.

when its 4-5 rooms (incl zarafa, baines, mateya, leadwood) worth inquiring re exclusive use.
especially because of rates often mentioning no single supplement for up to 3 rooms.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 27, 2014 at 6:13 pm
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:05 pm

Mr. Cynnamin and I are headed back to Botswana next April. We've stayed at Little Mombo, Kings Pool and Jao, and their tents and camps are extremely luxurious. All our camps on the previous trip and April 2013 trip are from the WS Premier Camp collection, and I have to say that the pictures on their website don't do justice.

I think the food at Singita are probably higher quality because they are more accessible unlike Botswana where the camps usually get weekly delivery. The food was still very good, especially at Kings Pool.

You can find great deals if you are going with all Singita or &beyind, and WS also has their Greenseason deal at the moment but they only include the Classic camps. You also need to find a preferred agents referred by WS. Let me know if you are considering WS camps. I know a great travel agent who always comes back with the lowest quote for the WS itinerary.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:20 am

south africa has singita and other incredible accommodations options. (more over the top than singita)
Can you give some examples of accommodations more over the top than singita? Thanks.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:52 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Have stayed at most recommended spots in south Africa and Botswana. For great game and great accomodations I recommend Singita Bouldrs and Lebombo in south Africa, and mombo in Botswana. Abu is interesting, but when riding elephants they actually scare some of the game ( we wre there). Namibia is beautiful nd unique, but not game rich at ll. I would do south Africa and Botswana Singita nd Mombo. Second choice in Botswana would be cheifs camp.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 3:34 am

for over the top accomodations in S Africa, check the Molori Private Retreats. Molori Safari Lodge sounds tempting though rates must be sky high
Old Oct 3, 2012, 4:41 am

We booked Singita Ebony, Jao (WS) and King's Pool (WS). We had tried to do Mombo or Little Mombo but they were booked so we ended up with King's Pool instead.

Here's our old trip report....
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ita-ebony.html

The Madikwe area was new at the time and it was believed the game would still be shy so we didn't consider it.

Last edited by Ericka; Oct 3, 2012 at 10:00 am
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:08 am

While Sangita is tops in SA, in my opinion the Botswana safari experience is far superior to SA. I would pick Chief's or Mombo.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

- comments on wilderness safaris and sanctuary accommodations? (AC and indoor showers for example)
- comparisons between wilderness safaris, &beyond, orient express, sanctuary?
- thoughts on private concessions? (xxx km2) or do the locations just not compare to mombo for example?
- i see chiefs is near mombo, so a backup. what about mombo vs little mombo? theyre fairly close.
http://www.africatravelresource.com/botswana-safari/ has maps
wilderness safaris and http://www.rhinoafrica.com/ have labeled satellite maps
im kind of curious re wilderness safaris & http://www.greatplainsconservation.com/ relationship
i need to read the wilderness safaris annual report i downloaded..

Originally Posted by Cynnamin
Going back to Little Mombo because it's the best game viewing!
Originally Posted by BLG
I have also been to Vumbura Plains. The rooms are amongst the largest and most luxurious in Botswana
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...na-lodges.html just one of the threads (recent)

Originally Posted by KrazeeJoe
Can you give some examples of accommodations more over the top than singita? Thanks.
already posted some
singita - south africa has a private camp, but tanzania and perhaps zimbabwe have OTT

more south africa OTT >
Originally Posted by vincentb89
for over the top accomodations in S Africa, check the Molori Private Retreats. Molori Safari Lodge sounds tempting though rates must be sky high
molori safari isnt one of their private / exclusive-use only
entry rate is normal, top accommodation is indeed somewhat more

royal malewane's new africa house
perhaps also cliff lodge at ulusaba for example
and there are other private villas

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...es-africa.html
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/travel...ame-reserve.do
The Gettys' home, Zuka house, is only available to Africa Foundation donors.
at phinda
Originally Posted by Ericka
If I remember correctly, Royal Malewane is somehow "fenced" and a lot of the safari purists think it detracts from the experience.
only talking about over the top (OTT) accommodations
(most camps/lodges dont offer a range of accommodations, let alone with huge price differences)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 4, 2012 at 10:55 am
Old Oct 3, 2012, 9:56 am

If I remember correctly, Royal Malewane is somehow "fenced" and a lot of the safari purists think it detracts from the experience.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.