Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Llao Llao Hotel, Bariloches, Argentina, any experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2006, 7:14 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Has anyone stayed at Llao Llao Hotel in Bariloches? What did you think? If I book the cheapest room, will it be comfortable? In the low season, the cheapest room is substantially cheaper than the next higher room.

It is a member of Leading Hotels of the World, yet is coming up as unavailable in early December. Its own website doesn't appear to have a place to book it.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 8:44 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I was there a few years ago. My stay there had been booked by a BA travel agent as part of a larger trip, and the room was described as "senior." I assumed that meant something like "superior," but I think it actually meant "old and smallish." It was on the top floor, small windows, low eaves. To the resort's credit, I had an incredibly nice letter (and I think phone call as well) in response to the negative questionnaire I left (I think the TA also complained to them), including an offer of a free night if I returned and the statement they would reclassify the room to avoid future confusion. Which leads me to recommend that you NOT take the cheapest room.
The resort itself is lovely, and that entire part of Patagonia is stunning. I thought the food there was okay, but not great, the gym did not open early enough for my taste (but DID stay open late), and I LOVED the tango classes.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 5:02 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
I actually know the owners of the resort, the same couple as who own the Alvear in BA, and my service quality and room was amazing. I once was in the Presidential Suite, which was gorgeous and also had a room the time before. The room was tastefully decorated and the service was amazing for that area. I would go for a mid-level room, as you do not want to get stuck in the worst in their inventory. Bariloche is a great town and the lake is beautiful and Patagonia is a great place. Just don’t forget the change in seasons when packing! Also if I remember great art and a GREAT biz center!
Old Apr 15, 2006, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the input on this hotel. I've discovered they are closed for several days for a private event, some of which were the days I hoped to stay. I can book 2 of my nights in Bariloche here. Is the hotel special enough to merit dividing my time between another hotel and here? Does anyone have experience with what room upgrades are given to Leading Hotels of the World members?

And what other property would you recommend in Bariloche?
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:46 am

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Thanks for the input on this hotel. I've discovered they are closed for several days for a private event, some of which were the days I hoped to stay. I can book 2 of my nights in Bariloche here. Is the hotel special enough to merit dividing my time between another hotel and here? Does anyone have experience with what room upgrades are given to Leading Hotels of the World members?

And what other property would you recommend in Bariloche?

I have two for you.... Villa La Angustura, which is a relais and Chateaux property about 45 minutes from San Carlos de Bariloche but and absolutely superb place. Dine in Las Balsas which has spectacular game, smoked trout etc.....

Also, the Hosteria Isla Victoria is lovely too...on Isla Victoria in a most beautiful setting....you can catch your own fish and the chef will cook it up for you....

I agree about the rooms at llao llao.....small and in need of a good redo. I also did not care for eating breakfast in the humongous ballroom, no matter how glorious the views. I did like the food at llao llao though...

San Carlos de Bariloche was nothing much.....Bariloche area is for the sheer physical beauty of the area.....and it is breathtaking...

Nest...restaurants in the area....La Marmite, El Patacon, Il Gabbiano, Familia Weiss and Virtuoso Y Taquino were all much enjoyed by my clients/friends.

As for time there.....2 full days fine for just sightseeing.....and bring very warm clothes for the Cerro Companario chairlift ride if you choose to do this..

Last edited by dedehans; Apr 19, 2006 at 6:15 am Reason: Adding restaurants in the Bariloche area
Old Apr 18, 2006, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

dedehans, thank you for those suggestions. I will check them out.

And if anyone else has recommendations for restaurants or activities, I would welcome them.

Funny story - friends were in Bariloche a couple months back. They were telling me of a restaurant that they said was the best of their trip to Argentina. "It's on a corner, upstairs. The locals eat there. You can't miss it." Somehow, I have utter confidence that without a name I CAN miss it - and I really appreciate the much more specific help given here.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 2:53 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
And if anyone else has recommendations for restaurants or activities, I would welcome them.
Carol,

Couldn't resist posting, even if I'm starting to get the feeling that you've gone from stalking me to stalking my entire family....

My dad and stepmum stayed in Llao Llao two months ago and felt that it was right up there with the Monasterio in Cuzco as the best hotel they stayed at in 2 months in South America (for comparison, they also stayed at the Libertador in Cuzco and felt LL was better). The only downside they identified was that the golf course was still playing on winter greens in February - this may or may not be a deal breaker for you .

Sadly our visit to Bariloche was at a different price point to yours, so I don't have much to add, although if you fancy a 'simple snack' there's a little cafe up three or fours roads behind the main drag which does a great choripan and a glass of drinkable wine for ARS3.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Just following in your footsteps, Stewie, not stalking. If you would begin to pass on your trip itineraries, it would save me ever so much effort in my trip planning.

Comparing Llao Llao to Monasterio is very helpful, as we stayed at Monasterio in December. It is the finest hotel we have stayed in in South America to date, with truly stellar service.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 5:41 am

I was at the Llao Llao a few weeks ago. It's a nice hotel but I wouldn't go out of my way to stay there.

I would equate it to a lodge in a U.S. national park that was once a grand edifice but has seen it's heyday. That being said, the public rooms are beautiful and the views are spectacular. Service is also generally good, although the pool attendants are somewhat lax. Happy hour in the main bar is a treat - all liquor is 50% off! As a Leader's Club member, I paid for the cheapest available rooms and we were upgraded to standard lake view rooms. The standard rooms are tiny and if I went back I would not book anything less than a Studio lake view room.

I second the recommendation for Villa La Angostura (which is a town and not a hotel). It's across the lake from the Llao Llao, but worlds away from Bariloche and the Llao Llao in terms of comfort and peace. I've heard Bariloche compared to Lake Tahoe and Villa La Angostura compared to Aspen, if that over-simplification helps any.

Las Balsas is the Relais and Chateaux property and I cannot say enough about how wonderful this tiny property is. We had a suite that allowed us to walk directly out to the lake. The service and staff were absolutely amazing. I cannot wait to go back.

I have a few pictures of each that I'm happy to e-mail you if you're interested. Send me a PM.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 9:47 am
Original Poster

jja34-1, you've given me some great ideas. I'm sending you my email address as I'd love to see your pictures. Thank you.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by dedehans
I have two for you.... Villa La Angustura, which is a relais and Chateaux property about 45 minutes from San Carlos de Bariloche but and absolutely superb place. Dine in Las Balsas which has spectacular game, smoked trout etc.....

Also, the Hosteria Isla Victoria is lovely too...on Isla Victoria in a most beautiful setting....you can catch your own fish and the chef will cook it up for you....
Dede, how close are these resorts to the ski slopes?

We are going in August to Bariloche!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Can anyone recommend a specific room type at Llao Llao?

Also, what are the recommended activities in the area in December?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(there are some posts in other threads, including mentions of 'new wing')

anyone been to aldebaran hotel?
http://www.i-escape.com/aldebaran-ho...d-spa/overview (also kiwi and tablet)
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Ll...=h&mra=ls&z=14

http://www.i-escape.com/patagonia-vista-lodge/overview kind of interesting - no restaurant, cheap exclusive
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=llao+l...ljHsG1cZcBn-eA

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 3, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.