Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

March or October for Aman India Journey?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2012, 1:04 pm
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

We want to go on the Aman India Journey some time next year. Possible weeks are first two weeks of March or first two weeks of October. This kind of trip is obviously mostly about the experience itself and less about relaxing and sun, but still it is important for us to pick the best time weather wise so that we can also enjoy pools etc. and not only sightseeing, nature and culture. Advice?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

one thing >
find out when amanbagh does / does not do chatri excursions
(reports here clarify its a seasonal issue)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 31, 2012 at 2:32 pm
Old Jul 31, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
March starts the hot part of the year. October will be better as the monsoon has passed and the weather is cooler.

In India, the heat is miserable due to the fact that everything is so freaking jam packed. If the weather is cool, you will have a much better time with everything.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:28 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Everything is so green and nice after the monsoon season, so that would also argue for October. You might still get some rain in early October if the monsoons are late.

If there is any way you can push to the last week of October / first week of November, you will LOVE being at Aman during Diwali. And the monsoon season is definitely past then, but the tourist peak hasn't yet hit, so it is really an ideal time to go.

Any way you'll consider adding on Umaid Bhawan Palace? (It used to be an Aman, after all . . . )

Amanbagh's cultural experience is unsurpassed -- so different from what you experience in the touristed parts of India and the cities.

But I do love Umaid Bhawan Palace and Oberoi Udaivilas as much as Amanbagh...

And I really, really like the Aman New Delhi.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:25 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
We went in March and it was hot but not terrible. Yes, we were able to do the chatri dinner and had great fun with Holi! You should look up my old trip report if you haven't already.

Musken, you're planning lots of Aman trips right now. I'm very jealous!
Old Aug 1, 2012, 9:02 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Ericka
We went in March and it was hot but not terrible. Yes, we were able to do the chatri dinner and had great fun with Holi! You should look up my old trip report if you haven't already.

Musken, you're planning lots of Aman trips right now. I'm very jealous!
I read your report and it sounds great. I think we will do October, though, since there are so many places that is good for March, but more limited for October.

So it will be Jena in October, Bali (whichever hotels we will end up with) in March and then India in October. By the end of 2013 I will have been to 13 Amans. 9 by now, but jena and possibly kila will be repeat visits.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 9:29 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

And yes, groombridge. We are still considering to add other hotels just do not want to put in too much.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:03 am

March is not too hot. I have been in India many times during that part of the year. The monsoon seems to shift constantly of late so October could have some rain, which is no fun at Amanbagh and especially Aman-i-Khas.

Glad you're not trying to do too much.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 5:27 am

I'd say March is slightly more pleasant than October. Less rains, less moisture, less sweating.

Re: the pools. Last time I stayed at Amanbagh and Aman-i-khas, the pools were uncomfortably cold. Though the Amanbagh pool has some temperature control, it is woefully inadequate for any weather except summer proper. If you are at either of these properties in March or October, I'd expect that you'll experience the same thing unless they've fixed this.

If you haven't stayed at the Oberoi vilas properties or the Taj palaces, I'd strongly suggest adding these if at all you can. In Ranthambore, particularly, I thought the Oberoi Vanyavilas was decisively better than Aman-i-khas. Amanbagh, on the other hand, is fabulous.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:05 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I hadn't thought of this before, but if the general safari rules of Africa apply to India, March may be the better time to see tigers and wildlife in general. Coming off of dry season you will have more visibility not to mention the wildlife coming to the watering holes to drink.

Don't want to overcomplicate things. Just a thought....

BTW, it wasn't too terribly dry in March. There was still some greenery.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by rjhunjhu
I'd say March is slightly more pleasant than October. Less rains, less moisture, less sweating.

Re: the pools. Last time I stayed at Amanbagh and Aman-i-khas, the pools were uncomfortably cold. Though the Amanbagh pool has some temperature control, it is woefully inadequate for any weather except summer proper. If you are at either of these properties in March or October, I'd expect that you'll experience the same thing unless they've fixed this.

If you haven't stayed at the Oberoi vilas properties or the Taj palaces, I'd strongly suggest adding these if at all you can. In Ranthambore, particularly, I thought the Oberoi Vanyavilas was decisively better than Aman-i-khas. Amanbagh, on the other hand, is fabulous.
I, too, prefer The Oberoi Vanyavilas to Aman-i-Khas, but Amanbagh cannot be beaten - it is one of Aman's best.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:44 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Ericka
I hadn't thought of this before, but if the general safari rules of Africa apply to India, March may be the better time to see tigers and wildlife in general. Coming off of dry season you will have more visibility not to mention the wildlife coming to the watering holes to drink.

Don't want to overcomplicate things. Just a thought....

BTW, it wasn't too terribly dry in March. There was still some greenery.
Hmmmm. March might then be better after all, both for temperature (warmer), rain (less) and possibly tiger sightings. Maybe March 2014, then... Thanks for input anyway. No problem that you make it complicated. I just want to find the best time (but next March is now Bali).
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:45 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I, too, prefer The Oberoi Vanyavilas to Aman-i-Khas, but Amanbagh cannot be beaten - it is one of Aman's best.
I am also mostly looking forward to Amanbagh. Stayed at Vanyavilas when we were at Rathambore last time, and it was great. Since we like new hotels, I wanted to try Aman this time, and also it is practical to go on the India Journey with them so that they take care of everything.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 6:25 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
I highly recommend March over October. The earlier in March the better. Also the Oberoi hotel in Udaipur is one of my favorites along with Amanbaugh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.