Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New General Manager at Oriental Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
I've stayed at The Peninsula forty-odd times over the same years. And I never fail to seize and opportunity to sh!t on the attitude of that place across the river.
For me The Peninsula is the best place in Bangkok by a wide margin. I'll be checking in again next week...!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Groombridge
The Mandarin Oriental in Washington, DC was a terribly run (and tired) hotel when I stayed a few years ago -- if Ms. Hyndman was GM there then, it does not bode well for the MO Bangkok. I tend to like Mandarin Oriental hotels -- and just this morning checked out of the Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas after three very nice nights there -- but the DC property is a real problem.
I was last at the MO l DC in 2010 and it was absolutely horrific. Service was terrible, F&B (except CityZen) mediocre, terrible lounge (wine and snacks from what appeared to be Sam's Club), nickel and dining everywhere. My guess is that Amanda Hyndman was GM then. Hopefully the MO BKK doesn't go downhill as much as the MO DC did. But I can't say I'm optimistic after my experience in DC.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slawecki
i presume it is a spec hotel, and MO has been contracted to run it
MO ownership >
100% - hong kong, excelsior, london, munich / lease - paris, tokyo
96.9% - jakarta
96.2% - manila
92.6% - geneva
80% - washington
50% - singapore
44.9% - bangkok
25% - kuala lumpur, miami, new york

Amanda Hyndman
July 2012 - GM bangkok
October 2009 – July 2012 - washington GM
May 2007 – October 2009 - Excelsior guest manager
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/amanda-hyndman/8/7a3/b33

Jan Goessing
July 2012 - GM of new york and area VP ops for new york and boston
June 2009 - July 2012 - bangkok GM
March 2006 - June 2009 - washington GM
october 1998 - march 2006 - kahala GM
september 1997 - october 1998 - jakarta GM
x 1994 - september 1997 - hong kong hotel manager

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 18, 2012 at 10:09 am
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:58 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
...since i was unceremoniously prevented from entering the lobby for wearing golf shorts
Same exact thing happened to me eleven years ago. I haven't darkened the doors of that place since.
Time to lay the petty grudges down. By now you know that this is pretty standard for Asia. Don't you get tired of beating the same drum over and over...? we're tired of hearing it.

I agree that this hotel does and likely will face many challenges, with competition making the model here difficult to succeed. I wish the new management all the best.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

seanthepilot, not enforcing dress code for guests is ridiculous

not to mention it was HOW it was done

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 18, 2012 at 10:14 am
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:06 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
seanthepilot, not enforcing dress code for guests is ridiculous

not to mention it was HOW it was done
I think you and I agree. Many hotels have a dress code. It should be upheld.

I ran into the same problem years ago, and found it just as frustrating. But, they weren't wrong. I just had to learn how things are over here. Since, I have adjusted my thinking and my behaviour, and you will usually find me in long pants in Asia (outside of Phuket where it's a 50/50 chance).
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you dont seem to understand, there was a dress code, that was only selectively enforced on some non-guests, and done in a poor way by any standard

not to mention >
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
The door policy does not appear to keep out the sightseers. Earlier this year we watched endless lines of backpacker people wander past the Verandah with their cameras
but all this is presumably moot after kurt left. feb 2012 >
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I'm currently at the Mandarin-Oriental...lobby...swarming large groups
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Must have just missed you

It is/was indeed very full with what seemed like a few functions/ meetings on concurrently.

I too feel that perhaps a number of the staff weren't coping as well but some were . Perhaps with many new staff since Jan G came onboard, the training is still in progress & not up to speed - MO standards yet. There's a note in the room too that MOBKK is sponsoring an apprenticeship program & to bear with - encourage - these individuals.

perhaps the type of crowd you encountered didn't help

It's that the numbers that come to gawk don't help either

many older staff have retired
i just thought of something. for bangkok, maybe the owners wanted to cut costs, so they made sure to bring in a (nonluxury) GM to do that, to prevent any loss of face for kurt. must also be less compensation.

certainly not a coincidence that both people we are discussing went from washington (poorly regarded) to bangkok, and someone specifically mentioned having dealt with amanda in the past. at poorly regarded excelsior.

also, kahala is currently poorly regarded re service, with halekulani being comparably better. if it was not better regarded under MO, thats another point. >
Originally Posted by mcgahat
stayed at the Kahala several times in 98,99 and 2000...service was pretty bad

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 17, 2012 at 9:08 pm
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:33 am

i just thought of something. for bangkok, maybe the owners wanted to cut costs, so they made sure to bring in a (nonluxury) GM to do that, to prevent any loss of face for kurt. must also be less compensation.

certainly not a coincidence that both people we are discussing went from washington (poorly regarded) to bangkok, and someone specifically mentioned having dealt with amanda in the past. at excelsior, which is poorly regarded here.
I don't know enough about hotel management/owner contracts to really judge, but I too was thinking that it was strange that both went from the mediocre MODC to the flagship MOBKK. Perhaps you're right on the intent. Strange to do that to one of their two flagship properties, though...
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

from my last post >
old staff being replaced by new staff - again must be less compensation.
Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
Did I read somewhere that he had a considerable financial stake in the hotel?
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
He is married to a Royally-connected lady and therefore has/had a lot of influence. I suspect that the financial stake is on her family's side.

Interestingly he used to have an apartment on the top floor of the spa, but a couple of years ago, Mandarin asked him to leave and built an Ayurvedic suite up there instead.
so who is kurt's wife? (boonnak?)

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
I believe Kurt is staying on the Board of the Hotel owner
http://www2.irrawaddy.org/article.php?art_id=11100
interesting, case was dismissed

hotel financials >
http://quicktake.morningstar.com/sto...tl&country=tha

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 18, 2012 at 6:05 pm
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:40 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
also, kahala is currently poorly regarded re service, with halekulani being comparably better. if it was not better regarded under MO, thats another point.
I stayed at the Kahala several times in 98,99 and 2000. It was nothing special and service was pretty bad in my experience. I was working for a client that got a good rate there otherwise I would gladly chosen another property.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:43 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
Time to lay the petty grudges down. By now you know that this is pretty standard for Asia. Don't you get tired of beating the same drum over and over...? we're tired of hearing it.
No, I don't think it's time to let it go. Some things are done so poorly, impolitely, and inhospitably that they need never be forgotten. If you don't like reading it, then don't read it. And kindly don't characterize it as a "petty grudge," when that is certainly not what's going on here.

And, no, it's not about knowing how things are done in Asia. They were rude and inappropriate and handled the situation in a very un-Thai fashion, according to my Thai partner.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
No, I don't think it's time to let it go. Some things are done so poorly, impolitely, and inhospitably that they need never be forgotten. If you don't like reading it, then don't read it. And kindly don't characterize it as a "petty grudge," when that is certainly not what's going on here.

And, no, it's not about knowing how things are done in Asia. They were rude and inappropriate and handled the situation in a very un-Thai fashion, according to my Thai partner.
Well to give this some balance, I hate the Pen, had terrible service, noise by pool, rude staff etc & could not wait to return to the peace and wonderful staff of the MO.....this was a few years ago though, IMHO MO run far better hotels than Pen. MONYC is the best in NYC & I went from there to the Pen Chicago & hated that as well!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 3:20 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I had a horrible experience at the MO -- poor service throughout from Front Desk, butler, and Concierge. I was extremely ill but the hotel did not care to even ask if I needed a doctor.

I sent feedback to Kurt and all I got back was a form letter essentially telling me it was my honor to stay at their illustrious hotel and that next time my expectations should match the thrill of paying to stay there.

I still avoid MO BKK and do not recommend it to anyone. My home in BKK is the Four Seasons.

This really soured my impression of the hotel and the entire chain; that is, until I stayed at 3 of their European properties: London, Paris and Barcelona.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by luxury
I had a horrible experience at the MO -- poor service throughout from Front Desk, butler, and Concierge. I was extremely ill but the hotel did not care to even ask if I needed a doctor.

I sent feedback to Kurt and all I got back was a form letter essentially telling me it was my honor to stay at their illustrious hotel and that next time my expectations should match the thrill of paying to stay there.

I still avoid MO BKK and do not recommend it to anyone. My home in BKK is the Four Seasons.

This really soured my impression of the hotel and the entire chain; that is, until I stayed at 3 of their European properties: London, Paris and Barcelona.
Agreed re FS BKK, top hotel
Old Jul 18, 2012, 5:48 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
Originally Posted by seanthepilot

I agree that this hotel does and likely will face many challenges, with competition making the model here difficult to succeed. I wish the new management all the best.
As mentioned, it's more about their attitude and how they made me feel - its as if I was trying to walk into the Playboy Mansion uninvited!

And it wasn't just from the security (whom I would suspect would just be following instructions) but also from a guest relations type of person who reiterated that there is a very strict dress code And they could email me the menu instead!! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.