Reload this Page >

Laucala, Fiji - trip report

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Laucala, Fiji - trip report

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2016, 12:39 am

Thanks for that, KatW. Is there anyone else staying there? Reports of this place always give the impression that the writer is the only guest there! Amans are like that as well.

There's something about the light down there in Oceania that's like nowhere else I've seen. Hope things continue well for you . . .
Old Sep 25, 2016, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by KatW
But not comfortable for feet so bring water shoes.
Thanks for the update, happy to hear you are having such a good time.

There should be 2 pairs of water shoes in your closet in the dressing room. No need to bring your own. In case you can not locate them, ask Victoria.

During our stay back in 2015 (pre cyclone) we did not need the water shoes to take a walk on the beach. Like I already indicated, the sand was not as soft as you find it in the Caribbean for instance, but shoes were not necessary to walk on the sand.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 1:18 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
KatW , since mods have not chimed in , they can always combine the threads if you start new one as separate TR .

Just relax and not worry about this .
Will enjoy your " ramblings " .

If you are able , please check if the staff can guess when the new airport will be ready .
Will help me plan our trip too .
Thanks

Have a wonderful time both of you !
Hiya, FlyerEC, do you mean the new wing at NAN? Or, a new landing strip on the island?
Old Sep 25, 2016, 1:22 am
Original Member

Occupancy: there are eight villas occupied including ours. Thus far we have met/seen a pair of U.S. honeymooners, an older Antipodean couple and two young, very young (late teens) couples who go everywhere together. And, there's a super yacht anchored in the bay.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 1:28 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Hiya, FlyerEC, do you mean the new wing at NAN? Or, a new landing strip on the island?
Thanks for your update KatW

Whatever they are working on . New wing , runway / strip etcetera timeline .

When in June might you be returning ?
Old Sep 25, 2016, 1:50 am
Original Member

Flora: I was born and raised in Panama so much of the flora (as in flora and fauna) here is familiar and evokes many happy memories. It's a bit like going home again but with better weather and nicer beaches.

So far: bounteous hibiscus of different types and colors, bougainvillea (of course), firecracker bush, shell ginger lily, red ginger, pink ginger, heliconia, spider lily, lantana, water lilies, palms, rubber trees, mango trees, croton-croton and more croton, snake plant, banana trees, papaya trees, periwinkle, plumeria (aka frangipani), and at least a dozen more familiar plants the names of which I don't recall or never knew.

Lush green island with many splashes of color, abiding tropical splendor.

Last edited by KatW; Sep 25, 2016 at 3:54 am
Old Sep 25, 2016, 2:06 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Thanks for your update KatW

Whatever they are working on . New wing , runway / strip etcetera timeline .

When in June might you be returning ?
OK, I'll check on that.

As for our return in June 2017, on the first non-stop NAN flight out of SFO in June. Fiji Airways flies out of SFO only June through August, and only twice weekly. Beats the hell out of having to make that short hop down to LAX, then tromp over to the International terminal to check in again, plus another security check.

Last edited by KatW; Sep 25, 2016 at 2:48 am
Old Sep 25, 2016, 2:15 am
Original Member

P.S.: I think I've deployed all my synonyms for "big."
Old Sep 25, 2016, 3:45 am
Original Member

Ten Days in Laucala, Day 3, Friday

We had such a good time on Day 2 that I woke with a hangover. Blame the wine in the villa + rum punch at the Rock Lounge + wine with dinner. So, it was a quiet day with occasional vows to not drink. Fortunately, not consummated.

I spotted two kingfishers, though. One Pacific kingfisher and the other a collared kingfisher. I'm not even a novice birder but get very excited about birds. There also are a gaggle of chickens on the island, not exciting.

There is much to do on this shard of paradise: golf, any number of powered and unpowered water activities, bikes, swimming/bobbing, spa, boating, hiking, picnics. Most impressive for me is simply sitting to watch and listen to the surrounding symphony. Special place exquisitely curated.

Floated in the pool from time to time, ate in villa, read a book, retired early. This is, of course, the algebraic notation for paradise.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 4:40 am
Original Member

Ten Days in Laucala, Day 4, Saturday

I'm still looking for an excuse to cavort in the resort pool of gargantuan measures. It looks fantabulous. But we have our own pool here at the villa where we don't have to wear anything. Skinny dipping RULES.

More putting around in the golf cart (ahem). The cobble-brick roads are bumpy and fun.

Late lunch at the Seagrass Lounge where the menu is mostly Thai plus tempura. Ice cream for dessert for Jim! I love this place. It's built into the tree tops cascading down the cliff and feels like a gift in the leaves and branches. Inspired architecture, divine special place.

Back to the villa to loll around, read, play chess and revel in the surroundings. Another dip in the pool, weightless in the water.

The infinity pool includes a small waterfall the susurration of which delights. Yet reminds that the ocean in this bay is remarkably well behaved and quiescent ... no surf, little in the way of waves ... just gentle lapping at the pebbly sand. At peace with mother ocean.

Meanwhile, every afternoon a pastry for two is delivered: so far a banana tart, lemon meringue, blueberry meringue and a pineapple linzer tart. At the same time cocktail munchies are dropped off: home-made taro and potato chips and a bowl of lightly salted nuts.

Last edited by KatW; Sep 25, 2016 at 5:25 am
Old Sep 25, 2016, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

KatW, terrific details, always enjoyable reading "live". re LAX, may be adding VIP service with airside sedan transfers. delta also has a service called "VIP Select" which may be bookable.

Originally Posted by Pausanias
Is there anyone else staying there?
>
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
We were going to go for Christmas '15 but they were sold out and they're already sold out for Christmas period this year
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
6 out of 25 occupied villas here right now (2 of whom are travel agents that I believe have already left)
Originally Posted by r281
Checked in this morning.
eight villas occupied including ours. Thus far we have met/seen a pair of U.S. honeymooners, an older Antipodean couple and two young, very young (late teens) couples who go everywhere together. And, there's a super yacht anchored in the bay.
Originally Posted by MacMyDay's report
several guests on the island were staying for a month and that many had been multiple times

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 25, 2016 at 3:32 pm
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:57 pm
Original Member

Miscellanea:

Staff number 400, of these 109 interact with guests via meal service, housekeeping, bar tending, concierges, water activities, etc. The others are devoted to infrastructure such as generators, hydroponics, gardening / landscaping / grooming, farming, greenhouses, animal care, warehouse, etc. most impressive to see the numerous functions and sites "back of house" and all as tidy as you please.

On Laucala there is a cafeteria for employees and a small clinic staffed by a physician and a nurse.

There are orchards and even a vanilla orchid area next to the expansive herb garden.

During February's cyclone the big banyan and other large trees were blown down, uprooted. A tree doctor was imported from Australia to oversee their replanting. Today you would not have a clue as to that catastrophe.

Staff live on a nearby island in a company town and are ferried by boat to Laucala, takes 15 minutes. There is the small "Fiji village" compound on Laucala where staff can rest during turnover.

The new international terminal at NAN is supposed to be finished by end of October but I doubt it will be ready.

Last edited by KatW; Sep 27, 2016 at 10:46 pm
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:02 am
Original Member

Plenty of photos but haven't been able to post. Please, no tutorials, this is hopeless.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:32 am
Original Member

We've been eating two meals a day. Breakfast (a delicious caloric blowout) around 8:30am, then lunch around 2:30pm. Maybe it's the heat but that seems just right. But our hosts here are alarmed that we're not getting enough to eat and are concerned we're not having dinner. Which tickles me since I am tubbish. Interesting data point, however; they do keep track of their guests to ensure best service.

Last edited by KatW; Sep 29, 2016 at 1:52 am
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:34 am
Original Member

There are three half-size fridges in the villa: two in the living room and one in the bedroom. The former are stocked with still and sparkling water (bottled on site), wines (sauvignon blanc, rose, shiraz, Pinot Grigio, prosecco and champagne), small flask of milk, bottled iced tea, two kinds of Fiji beers, club soda, tonic water. The bedroom fridge is stocked with water, still and sparkling. The sideboard in the living room offers slightly-filled flasks of whiskey, gin, vodka and rum (white).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.