Search

Laucala, Fiji - trip report

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2014, 5:04 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Larkin
Thank you so much for this great report! We have been looking to go back to Fiji for several years after enjoying Wakaya several times, but were waiting to hear more on this place which sounds spectacular. After your teview we will be making plans for next summer!
Can anyone comment on the quality of air conditioning and scuba diving at Laucala...and compared perhaps with Wakaya? Thanks so much!
Old Jul 19, 2014, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF CL
Can't compare to Wakaya and I'm not a diver either, but I can say that the climate control everywhere in the resort was ideal. It must have been, because I never noticed it at all. No unpleasant arctic blast on entering the villa; never felt uncomfortable at all. HTH
Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, IC Plat RA, Fairmont Plat...
Has anyone visiting recently since the renovation?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:20 am

As I'm here right now and find myself during the latter part of the weather trend (12 hours of perfection followed by 12 hours of rain) with only sleep deprivation as my friend, I thought I'd do my civic FlyerTalk duty and answer any questions anyone has about Laucala. I'll write up a full report and compare it to North Island afterwards, as that seems to be a useful comparison and Baghoarder has already done a good review of Laucala.

I will also continue to update this with photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132880...57669991889423

Last edited by MacMyDay; Aug 30, 2016 at 11:55 am
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:13 am

@MacMyDay: do you like it ?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:42 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Snorkeling? Fish life? Coral?

Thanks!
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:47 am

How does the beach compare to other top beach resorts?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Epicura
@MacMyDay: do you like it ?
I do indeed! The word I keep using to describe Laucala is "ridiculous". Everything here is so utterly ridiculous as it's maintained to such a high level and so stunning, with clearly no desire to make any money. It could only exist in a world where someone has so much money that they know they will never run out of it, regardless of what they do. Well, Nicolas Cage thought that, but that didn't end well.

Originally Posted by Five Star Traveller
This has been one of the areas that I found most surprising, as there really isn't much of a beach to talk of. I know there are other areas of the island I have not been to yet, so I might comment better in a few days time (and Epicura might jump in and correct me), but just like North Island, the resort is focused around a small area that contains a beach. Based on this, I would have assumed they saved their best beach for this area, but evidently not. Laucala is definitely not barefoot luxury, as the beach directly in front of our villa has sand filled with shells and pebbles, so you cannot walk anywhere without sandals. The main beach doesn't have this, but the sand is still not very soft. If you want a beach, go to North Island, Fregate or Amanpulo instead - there is no comparison.

This is kinda all there is.

Originally Posted by Ericka
Snorkeling? Fish life? Coral?
I will come back to you on that. We're going out in their submarine in a few hours and will go snorkelling some point later in the week.

Last edited by MacMyDay; Aug 30, 2016 at 12:24 pm
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:02 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
As I'm here right now and find myself during the latter part of the weather trend (12 hours of perfection followed by 12 hours of rain) with only sleep deprivation as my friend, I thought I'd do my civic FlyerTalk duty and answer any questions anyone has about Laucala. I'll write up a full report and compare it to North Island afterwards, as that seems to be a useful comparison and Baghoarder has already done a good review of Laucala.
Enjoy!

But when the chance becomes available, I'd love to know what the quality of scuba diving might be--especially compared with Wakaya or North or anywhere else you may know, assuming you dive? Baghoarder wasn't able to comment on this.

I'd also love to know how well the air con works if you get w chance to drop it to 67 F/19 C?

I'm also dying to see if you use the submarine! You got a vote here for sure!
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:51 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Interesting about the beach!

Thanks for the mini-report. Looking forward to more details.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Five Star Traveller
I've uploaded some more photos to demonstrate this further for you.

This is the view looking back onto our villa.

And this is a close-up of the sand. You sure don't wanna pass out drunk on that or you'll have a face like a 1960s Bond villain.

The beach club

The full length of the beach, by the beach club (the beach is longer, but it is in front of the villas, so it's not really somewhere you would venture off into)

Main beach

On the last two photos you'll see they've been through the beach this morning with a tractor to comb the area which has made a big improvement, but it's still not even close to any other top beach resort. You can walk on it barefoot, but you would need to be wearing something in the first place to get close to the beach, as just behind the combed area is still the same sand as you can see in the first 2 photos.

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Enjoy!

But when the chance becomes available, I'd love to know what the quality of scuba diving might be--especially compared with Wakaya or North or anywhere else you may know, assuming you dive? Baghoarder wasn't able to comment on this.
Fraid that's not something we do, so I won't be able to comment.

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I'd also love to know how well the air con works if you get w chance to drop it to 67 F/19 C?

I'm also dying to see if you use the submarine! You got a vote here for sure!
Submarine photos coming up later. Baghoarder mentioned previously that the AC was not an issue and I completely agree with her, but I'll give it a go on 19C for you. We're the opposite to you and often never turn it on as we love being warm, but here we've been using it constantly as it's so warm in the day.....just before it starts raining around 5-6pm.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:54 pm

Thank you for the excellent description of the beach! A bit disappointing that the sand isn't the powder white variety, but at least the pools are out of this world. Even the private villa pool looks huge, especially compared to North Island.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:45 pm

Submarine

Ok, here it is. The moment my whole life has been building up to.

A submarine

I repeat, a freaking submarine

Plenty of space in here. I could move the family in. We could live under the sea.

Getting ready for takeoff

We have liftoff (liftdown?)

This is the greatest moment of my entire life

Thank god no one can see me crying of happiness under the water

I don't even have the words to describe this

If you are miserable today, it's because I stole all the available joy in the world.

Please never end

Why are you ending?!

Back to reality. I hate my life
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
The submarine is really funny! Hope to such a great thing too one day
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF CL
THIS. LOOKS. AWESOME.

Reason alone to return (they didn't have this when I visited).

Mac, I love your reports but I think you're being pretty hard on the beach. Those private stretches of sand may not be powder - but that's the region. But they are private.... .

And if you don't like the beach you can always retreat to lounge by your private pool. Or your yoga platform. Or your outdoor dining area. Or your private lawn (unless you're in Seagrass). Or your private massage pavilion. Or your outdoor bathtub......

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Ok, here it is. The moment my whole life has been building up to.

Duplicates of pictures just above removed. -- RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels

Last edited by RichardInSF; Sep 1, 2016 at 4:03 am Reason: duplicate pictures removed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.