Laucala, Fiji - trip report

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Laucala, Fiji - trip report

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:59 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Thanks for this terrific report, and for all the photos! I have been really interested in this place, emailing them a few times for details, and your reports adds to the likelihood that I'll go.

Since you were able to see a bunch of the different types of accommodation, what are the pros/cons -- and what would be your first choice?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 6:41 am

Amazing report and pics - thanks!

Was the resort full when you were there? How crowded do the public spaces/restaurants/etc. get?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Baghoarder
There are only 25 residences...and it was so private that at times it felt as if we were the only people on the island...I toured all the "special" villas during my visit
Originally Posted by kurl
Was the resort full when you were there? How crowded do the public spaces/restaurants/etc. get?
25 villas, 80 bedrooms, 160 guests

plantation house - 80+55 seats
seagrass lounge and restaurant - 35 seats on 4 levels
beach bar - 40 seats
rock lounge - 30 seats
pool bar - 20 seats

http://www.deluxetargets.ch/media/su...ala_island.pdf
Old Jul 14, 2012, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by kurl
Amazing report and pics - thanks!

You're welcome!

It wasn't full but if it had been I suspect we would not have noticed. The private villa facilities are so good and so extensive that we rarely saw some guests, including people staying just a few villas along from us. Nothing was crowded at all. Occasionally I was the only guest at lunch at the Pool Bar (the Beach Bar, with its terrific location, tended to be a bit more popular), which I loved!
Old Jul 14, 2012, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Groombridge
Thanks for this terrific report, and for all the photos! I have been really interested in this place, emailing them a few times for details, and your reports adds to the likelihood that I'll go.

Since you were able to see a bunch of the different types of accommodation, what are the pros/cons -- and what would be your first choice?
My first choice (with young children) is what I actually had - a two bedroom Beach Plantation villa. Ideal for its central (yet still incredibly private) location and good balance of space for a family.

In the "standard" category, not that anything is standard, there are one, two and three bedroom villas. If you want one or two bedrooms in this category you have a choice of three different settings. For three bedrooms, you have a choice of beach plantation or seagrass. Each will appeal to different people for different reasons. The resort will take great care to ensure that you are selecting the option that is best suited to your tastes and preferences.

There is no difference in quality of interior fit out, look and feel between villas in the various locations.

Rooms are slightly smaller in one bedroom villas but still extremely spacious and the beach space is also still very generous. The bedroom in the one bedroom villas is split level with a generous lower seating area (in addition to the entirely separate main living bure).

Private pools go up in size as the number of bedrooms goes up but again, even in a one bed villa the pool was a very good size.

Two bedroom villas have two master bedroom suites. Three bedroom villas have two masters and a third smaller bedroom suite with twin beds (each room has dressing room and bathroom). Beds are massive, carved wooden affairs that cannot be separated into twins, but the resort will put two single mattresses on them if guests request this, or they can set up an additional single bed in the room.

The locations for standard villas:

1. Beach Plantation villas - all with private beaches which benefit from good sunlight during the day, the most centrally located, in the more "manicured" setting of the central coconut plantation (regular plantings, mown lawns, long vistas etc). Easy walking distance to the jetty, the water sports and dive centre, the lagoon pool, Plantation restaurant, Pool Bar, Beach Bar, gym, concierge, cultural centre etc. Golf cart ride to Rock Lounge, Seagrass Lounge, spa, golf, tennis etc.

2. Seagrass Villas - on Seagrass Bay, which is a very pretty little cove just past the point where the Rock Lounge is located. These villas are set in a more densely vegetated location and are more remote from the central area of the resort (golf cart ride, 5 minutes max) and would probably suit people looking for more privacy and seclusion. Private beaches are more shaded here because of the vegetation.

3. Plateau villas. These are apparently the least popular of the three categories, presumably because they have no direct beach access. They are in an elevated location (but apparently the resort aims to dedicate a private beach from one of the beach plantation villas for guests' private use if they book a plateau villa). Located close to the spa and very similar in feel. Incredibly secluded and private. Lots or terraces, pool, outdoor space but not the same usable garden space because of the steep hill and the dense foliage. These villas have lovely views. I really liked the feel of these but would still go for a villa with beach.

The "special" villas are the one bedroom Peninsula Suite (located near and accessible only via the Seagrass Lounge), the two bedroom overwater villa (located just to the west of the beach plantation villas) and the Hilltop Residence (located, as the name suggests, on top of a hill with panoramic views).

Peninsula Suite - a very dramatic choice - really perched on the side of the cliff! Not for those with vertigo. Has beautiful views of the water and the resort itself. Although it's extremely private, the access point is not private. The rooms seemed a little smaller to me than rooms in the standard suites; the bedroom, dressing room, bathroom etc is split level. There are several beautiful decks and terraces, and an amazing infinity horizon pool immediately outside the living area that seems almost to spill over into the sea.

Overwater villa - would probably be my choice without children. One of the most popular options. Definitely not suitable for young children. Two bedrooms with generally similar interior layout to other two bedroom villas. Lots of deck space and moorings. A stunning infinity pool that is built into the rocks and has a little waterfall.

Hilltop Residence - the premium option. Very separate from the rest of the resort, reached along one of two access/service roads (by golf cart). Three separate one bedroom villas that are taken together. The main one has a library, very large living area and very impressive outdoor spaces including a mini lagoon pool (the idea being to replicate the main lagoon pool experience on a smaller scale for those seeking more privacy and seclusion). The second villa has a private pool. The third villa, located between the other two, has no pool. These villas are in a garden setting, mown lawns, coconut palms etc and really do have absolutely spectacular views in all directions. However, even if I were in the market for something of this size and price point, I would probably not choose it because of the lack of direct beach access.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:24 pm

very interesting read thanks!!
so for water/beach access you would recommend the plantation villas? I guess peninsula suite has a spectacular setting but no ideal water access?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:35 pm
Used to be highman123

Thanks for sharing!

Please forgive my ignorance but there seem to be more than one hotel/resort on the island. What's the exact name of the resort?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thecoolhunter
very interesting read thanks!!
so for water/beach access you would recommend the plantation villas? I guess peninsula suite has a spectacular setting but no ideal water access?
Plantation villas and Seagrass villas all have private beaches.

Peninsula suite has a small private beach but IMO it is not as good a beach as the other villas have and is only accessible by a (pretty long) flight of wooden stairs. It is not the best choice if you want easy and direct beach access or a beach vista from your villa. But, yes, its views are absolutely spectacular!
Old Jul 24, 2012, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by highman123
Thanks for sharing!

Please forgive my ignorance but there seem to be more than one hotel/resort on the island. What's the exact name of the resort?
There is only one resort on the island. It is called Laucala.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 7:35 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Thank you so much for this great report! We have been looking to go back to Fiji for several years after enjoying Wakaya several times, but were waiting to hear more on this place which sounds spectacular. After your teview we will be making plans for next summer!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 1:27 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Thanks for this lovely report! I wonder if there are travel agencies that can provide a better rate instead of the rack rate. Do they ever have a promotion or high/low season price? I know in Malidves, all the hotels (including top-end) will have lower price during raining/shoulder season.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thebluejean
travel agencies that can provide a better rate
promotion
low season price
Malidves
comparables are north and fregate in the seychelles
necker is same price, but kind of different, in the caribbean

wakaya is 2nd most expensive in fiji, also yearly rate

yearly rates (no seasons) are better for travel in peak and holiday season
almost all amanresorts have yearly rate (no seasons) (although "exclusives") >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post18219136
can also think of it as low season rate, and additional rates would be even higher
development/operating cost of private island can be insane
(aman can recoup development via residences)

comparison with #bedrooms >

11 north €3884 500 acres (additional bedrooms for children only)
22 fregate €3850 (€5852 2BR) 300 acres

40 laucala $4560 ($6600 2BR $9840 3BR) 3000 acres

necker 8 $3925.75 / 14? $3,895 74 acres

15 wakaya $2280 2200 acres (not incl at least one 7BR residence?)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 3, 2012 at 4:28 pm
Old Nov 21, 2012, 4:06 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
almost all amanresorts have annual rates, but lots of "exclusives"
I know the amanresorts will publish the prices for high/low season. Sometimes they will have "package promotion" with same rate but with added benefit such as half-board or spa package.

I just wonder if Lucala also has published prices for high/low season since the price is not available on the website.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thebluejean
Thanks for this lovely report! I wonder if there are travel agencies that can provide a better rate instead of the rack rate. Do they ever have a promotion or high/low season price? I know in Malidves, all the hotels (including top-end) will have lower price during raining/shoulder season.
I have PM'ed you but for completeness on the thread - I am not aware of seasonal rates. However I booked through DavidO - some Virtuoso amenities apply. DavidO, as usual, did a fantastic job of making the arrangements for me.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 8:29 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Baghoarder
I have PM'ed you but for completeness on the thread - I am not aware of seasonal rates. However I booked through DavidO - some Virtuoso amenities apply. DavidO, as usual, did a fantastic job of making the arrangements for me.
Thank you for your reply. I will contact DavidO for more information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.