Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Laucala, Fiji - trip report

Laucala, Fiji - trip report

Old Oct 3, 2016, 5:44 pm
Original Member

Upon noticing my enthusiasm over the orchids in the beach bar, our waiter suggested we visit the orchid house. This was requested and said tour was a highlight of our stay. Paulo picked us up and trundled us to the nearer end of the island (20 minutes or so), past numerous "back of house" operations with accompanying narrative (so interesting!). The enormous orchid house is not, as I expected, a greenhouse, rather a large rectangular structure roofed and sided in fine dark mesh and equipped with an ingenious watering system that bathes the orchids in mist on a schedule approximating their natural environment. About a third of an acre in size, it houses a couple thousand plants of various hues: white, pink, red, lavender, green, purple, yellow, magenta, fuchsia. Paradise for flower lovers. There is also a separate vanilla orchid patch adjacent to the herb garden!

Last edited by KatW; Oct 3, 2016 at 8:09 pm
Old Oct 3, 2016, 10:46 pm
Original Member

More Laucala Miscellanea:

We were in residence 21 September through 1 October. It rained an hour or so the afternoon of our arrival but we were so wrecked by travel and jetlag it was almost comforting. Thereafter it rained twice but late at night so no inconvenience to us. Meanwhile, the stars, the heavens -- the night was a glorious star show. Be careful not to fall over whilst crinking up your neck. Or, just get flat down on the ground for maximum viewing comfort.

I never have slept so well. There is something about sun, heat, sea, salt, sand that makes the body flex gracefully into supine relaxation. We asked for and received almost instantaneously extra bed pillows.

Demographics: guests during our tenure were from Australia, New Zealand, the U.S. and Japan.

Lobster -- available at breakfast, lunch and dinner!

The Sounds: birds here are vocal, usually melodious. The sea was quiet on our bay, just gentle susurration. Oh, but the glorious palm fronds rustled by the tropic breezes, heaven!

There is a panoply of activities offered to guests. Then, there is just you and the sea and the jungle and the sun ... and serenity.

Birding/Twitching -- I confess most of our birding was sedentary on the deck or floating in the villa pool or putting (heh) around in our golf cart. Nevertheless, our sightings:

Orange dove, Ptilinopus victor -- seen only on laucala and two nearby islands
Fiji parrotfinch Erythrura pealii
Streaked fantail, Rhipidura verreauxi
Pacific kingfisher
Collared kingfisher
Grey heron, Ardea cinerea
Swamp hen, porphyrio
Common myna
Pacific swallow
Wood swallow
Starlings (I know, whoopee)
lots of brown doves

We are less than amateur birders (twitchers) yet delight in sightings.

Important issue: villa furniture is uncomfortable in the main. Form over function and that is my greatest and most fervent complaint.

No bug issues which I thought remarkable for a tropical island.

Last edited by KatW; Oct 6, 2016 at 2:34 pm
Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:07 pm
Original Member

The Cost

This is a relative issue. Can one afford it with relative ease? If not, then probably not the right splurge. How long can you afford to stay? If you're flying in from New Zealand or Australia, then length of stay is more flexible. If flying from the U.S. (SFO in our case) then at least eight days. We were resident for 11 days and that was just about perfect.

As for ROI, return on investment, that's entirely according to personal values. When we go to Paris, we book a suite at Le Bristol. When we want enjoy an English country house respite, it's Gravetye Manor. In London it's Claridges or the Savoy (yes, I know, but a Thames-view suite is hardly sneezable). In Los Angeles we opt for The Beverly Hills Hotel or the Peninsula Beverly Hills. Twin Farms in Vermont. We prefer Ventana in Big Sur although we have sampled Post Ranch Inn which was a grave disappointment. We enjoy and seek comfortable luxury.

Laucala is something else again. The setting is unique, the villas are, well, villas, not rooms or suites. Each has a large pool and multiple outdoor pavilions, gardens, and many have private beaches. The service is amazing. Hiccup here and there but, really, just amazing.

Laucala is exceptionally expensive, no question. A one-bedroom villa (the base rate) starts at $4,800, plus tax, service and so on. Assuming one does not have one's own jet or yacht accessible in Fiji, the cost of flights into and out of Laucala on a six-seater is $1,200 round trip per person. (Yes, there was a super yacht anchored in the bay for much of our stay.)

So, yes, it costs many bundles and we were overjoyed. Sufficiently so that we return in April.

Last edited by KatW; Oct 21, 2016 at 9:00 pm
Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by KatW
More Laucala Miscellanea:

We were in residence 21 September through 1 October. It rained an hour or so the afternoon of our arrival but we were so wrecked by travel and jetlag it was almost comforting. Thereafter it rained twice but late at night so no inconvenience to us. Meanwhile, the stars, the heavens -- the night was a glorious star show. Be careful not to fall over whilst crinking up your neck. Or, just get flat down on the ground for maximum viewing comfort.

I never have slept so well. There is something about sun, heat, sea, salt, sand that makes the body flex gracefully into supine relaxation. We asked for and received almost instantaneously extra bed pillows.

Demographics: guests during our tenure were from Australia, New Zealand, the U.S. and Japan.

Lobster -- available at breakfast, lunch and dinner!

The Sounds: birds here are vocal, usually melodious. The sea was quiet on our bay, just gentle susurration. Oh, but the glorious palm fronds rustled by the tropic breezes, heaven!

There is a panoply of activities offered to guests. Then, there is just you and the sea and the jungle and the sun ... and serenity.

Birding/Twitching -- I confess most of our birding was sedentary on the deck or floating in the villa pool or putting (heh) around in our golf cart. Nevertheless, our sightings:

Orange dove, Ptilinopus victor -- seen only on laucala and two nearby islands
Fiji parrotfinch Erythrura pealii
Streaked fantail, Rhipidura verreauxi
Pacific kingfisher
Collared kingfisher
Grey heron, Ardea cinerea
Swamp hen, porphyrio
Common myna
Pacific swallow
Wood swallow
Starlings (I know, whoopee)
lots of brown doves

We are less than amateur birders (twitchers) yet delight in sightings.

Important issue: villa furniture is uncomfortable in the main. Form over function and that is my greatest and most fervent complaint.

No bug issues which I thought remarkable for a tropical island.
Appreciate your candid sharing , about miscellaneous too .
Pity about the villa furniture with such rates , does it match the environment ? Or calibre of property ? ..

As we get on years , with various health issues , it is helpful to hear from you that even if & when one day we maybe similar to Jim ' s condition , we will be able to travel afar to lovely places like Laucala .. With or without a super yacht , perhaps sail from AKL .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Oct 21, 2016 at 7:08 pm Reason: iPad typos, add information
Old Oct 21, 2016, 8:25 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Appreciate your candid sharing , about miscellaneous too .
Pity about the villa furniture with such rates , does it match the environment ? Or calibre of property ? ..

As we get on years , with various health issues , it is helpful to hear from you that even if & when one day we maybe similar to Jim ' s condition , we will be able to travel afar to lovely places like Laucala .. With or without a super yacht , perhaps sail from AKL .
Furniture definitely lines up with luxe tropical design and is lovely to look at. It's the design aspect that gives pause -- form over function. The chairs/seats/sofas in the main are much too low for those with hip and/or knee issues as are all ALL, every single one, of the outdoor seating facilities.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:56 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
I wrote up a full review of our stay in Laucala: http://thegoodthebadandtheluxurious....-laucala-fiji/

My stay unfortunately did not match the same excellence that the other FTers experienced, although we still had a truly memorable and fantastic time. The service left a lot to be desired, but the island offers so much that you feel you can forgive it; the problem is, I feel the staff felt the same too, like it was allowed to be overlooked. The short-comings were too frequent and too many for it to have just been the odd employee, so improvements should definitely be on the horizon. The positive is that the GM has continued to discuss the feedback with me since departure, so it looks like they've taken my feedback very seriously. It's hard to find fault in almost everything else, from the activities, villas, food to amenities, but at $6,000/n, the service and communication just has to be better.
Loved your review. And I'm with you that the service clearly needs to be addressed--at least if I ever expect to visit. I don't care how luxurious an island resort may be: for $6000/night and the trouble of getting there, the service needs to be just as exemplary as the island villas, facilities, and activities on offer. And clearly it isn't now. Here's hoping the service is markedly improved in the near future.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Loved your review. And I'm with you that the service clearly needs to be addressed--at least if I ever expect to visit. I don't care how luxurious an island resort may be: for $6000/night and the trouble of getting there, the service needs to be just as exemplary as the island villas, facilities, and activities on offer. And clearly it isn't now. Here's hoping the service is markedly improved in the near future.
Thank you, sir. I still need to do a basic write-up between North and Laucala, but in summary, I hope Laucala can get the butler integrated perfectly, just like at North Island, as it would considerably improve the service. Unlike KatW who has rebooked, I left Laucala and had no intention of rebooking it, whereas even though I was deliberating over North Island on leaving, I am in discussions with them about going back. Some of that is distance, some is due to having done the activities we were interested in at Laucala and some is the service.

North had some rather lousy staff outside of the villa, yet near-perfection from your villa butler, whereas Laucala was below the required standard throughout almost every area, from housekeeping to activities to concierge to dining. At least they were consistent. I could tell you 2 staff at North that clearly needed to be retrained, but at Laucala it was a case of where do you begin? Laucala has to be better and I cannot believe I'm the only one who thinks it, as the one and only other family we spoke to whilst there had most of the same gripes as us. I was definitely not alone amongst the staff in thinking this, as some of the expats were saying how difficult it was to work with the locals due to their Fijian time mentality. It's service with a massive smile, with all the best of intentions, but not delivering on the standards expected at $6,000/n.

On another note, I saw on Instagram that Anthony Healy, the executive chef, is leaving, so it will be interesting to see what happens to the food quality: https://www.instagram.com/p/BK9ps-ejkpv/
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:24 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Thank you, sir. I still need to do a basic write-up between North and Laucala, but in summary, I hope Laucala can get the butler integrated perfectly, just like at North Island, as it would considerably improve the service. Unlike KatW who has rebooked, I left Laucala and had no intention of rebooking it, whereas even though I was deliberating over North Island on leaving, I am in discussions with them about going back. Some of that is distance, some is due to having done the activities we were interested in at Laucala and some is the service.

North had some rather lousy staff outside of the villa, yet near-perfection from your villa butler, whereas Laucala was below the required standard throughout almost every area, from housekeeping to activities to concierge to dining. At least they were consistent. I could tell you 2 staff at North that clearly needed to be retrained, but at Laucala it was a case of where do you begin? Laucala has to be better and I cannot believe I'm the only one who thinks it, as the one and only other family we spoke to whilst there had most of the same gripes as us. I was definitely not alone amongst the staff in thinking this, as some of the expats were saying how difficult it was to work with the locals due to their Fijian time mentality. It's service with a massive smile, with all the best of intentions, but not delivering on the standards expected at $6,000/n.

On another note, I saw on Instagram that Anthony Healy, the executive chef, is leaving, so it will be interesting to see what happens to the food quality: https://www.instagram.com/p/BK9ps-ejkpv/
To each, their own. But I'm with you. Great minds...

I'm also troubled by the idea that you can get whatever food you want, whenever you want, from the chef...but not if the chef happens to be away? Unimpressive for me.

Service is my biggest challenge with places like this. If you're paying $5-6K per night, the service (and food), not just the villas, has to be exemplary for me. I can always find a beautiful villa for much less.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, IC Plat RA, Fairmont Plat...

I think we overlapped on your last night by which time Ant the Exec Chef had returned (he also organised a lot of activities and experiences for us and is a major selling point).

Him being away for most of your visit may have hurt the service for you.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by r281
I think we overlapped on your last night by which time Ant the Exec Chef had returned (he also organised a lot of activities and experiences for us and is a major selling point).

Him being away for most of your visit may have hurt the service for you.
If Laucala is so dependent on 3 persons for the excellent service one would expect for such a price point, then they have problems IMO.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, IC Plat RA, Fairmont Plat...
Originally Posted by bhrubin
If Laucala is so dependent on 3 persons for the excellent service one would expect for such a price point, then they have problems IMO.
Was flawless both holidays i've had there. Already planning next year.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by r281
Was flawless both holidays i've had there. Already planning next year.
I concur. Not saying that MacMyDay is wrong; if I would experience similar hiccups, I also would be bothered, especially for this price point.

But I can only speak from my experience and we were taken very well care of. The service during our stay matched the price tag.

We did have a single point of contact, the lovely Victoria from guest relations, so perhaps that also helped? She was very proactive. And the "eat whatever whenever you want" concept was clearly present during our stay and was not only offered by the head chef but also by other members of his team. We were being addressed on several occasions, mostly at breakfast or during the morning, and repeatedly being asked if there was anything particular we had in mind.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:35 pm
Original Member

Interesting conversation about varieties of experience. We are so various in what we want, our expectations and how vocal we are about same. And in our delight or not.

My notion of luxury is akin to ESP: I don't want to ask for anything; I simply want my wants / desires to be intuited and met. This is difficult outside of one's own estate and staff cadre. Next best is a gracious environment in which all is made just so but it is made abundantly clear you are treasured, valued and nothing is too much. This latter was my experience at Laucala. I sometimes felt a bit guilty I could not ask for something not already provided. Mermaids?

We were fortunate to be in residence when Chef Anthony was in situ. I understand, MacMyDay, this was an issue for you, rightly so. I think I recall you also were unhappy you had to wait 30 minutes for the sub to be readied although you had reserved in advance. Also legitimate. I am less clear about other service wonkiness you experienced.

One aspect of luxe hotels/resorts that especially irritates me is this question upon check in: Welcome dear guest, when would you like housekeeping to clean your room? Two days four days from now? How do I know. This was not inflicted on us at Laucala. Instead, as was the case at Twin Farms, Le Bristol, etc., it was magically known when we left the room and would be gone for some time. Yes, I know it wasn't magic but staff tracking us.

It can be eerie, this tracking. We had gotten into the habit of eating only twice a day (gargantuan breakfast and late lunch) plus the dessert delivered in villa each afternoon. When we showed up for lunch, there was much clucking and concern expressed about our not eating dinner. What had they missed, what could they do, would we not say what we wanted to eat?

Here's the kicker, though: on our last day we were not to fly out of Laucala until 6pm. Whilst we were at late lunch 2pm, the villa was thoroughly cleaned, fresh flowers added here and there and fresh linen made up on the bed. I guess in case maybe we'd have a quickie.

I confess, after reading of another's experience here, I felt quite thwarted when, occasionally, my golf cart was not reversed so it headed outbound.

Nevertheless, I am working up a list of requests ahead of our April respite: lobster and beef BBQ on the beach in front of our villa, orchid lei or crown each day, a snorkel trip with and extra staffer to guide/watch Jim. Serious about this.

For many traveling to Laucala it is not only expensive but, well, painful, so many hours in the air, and Air Fiji is no picnic even in biz class. Then, the resort cost is notable. I was fairly satisfied in view of all that and we were there for ten nights so the math speaks for itself. And then there is quid pro quo -- wherein both are relative.

Differences abound and are necessary. I was made delighted and my Jim was made comfortable and treasured. From my view, every penny well spent. Entirely understand this may not be the case for others. Experiences necessarily will vary guest to guest; that is why reports here are so useful.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by KatW; Oct 24, 2016 at 11:11 pm
Old Sep 10, 2017, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Website issue?

Has anyone had success getting into the Laucala website? I've not been able to get on for months; the website video never loads and I can't figure out how to get around that.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

its a browser issue. ill check other browsers, but my current one disables flash.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.