Wiki Posts
Search

MO Dhara Dhevi, Chiang Mai rebrand soon

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2013, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, QF/HH/TG/SQ GOLD
MO Dhara Dhevi, Chiang Mai rebrand soon

My TA just told me today that Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi, Chiang Mai is going to be rebrand soon.
The owner will terminate their management contract by August 31st.
Rumored said IHG will take over the property.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Well, then it will be possibly the nicest InterContinental in the world. (Though I've never been to the French Polynesia ones.) This is an excellent property, especially given the price (like many places in Thailand). I go back and forth about whether I prefer it or the Four Seasons. Tough choice; the FS is slightly nicer in my opinion, but farther away from town.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
That is a bit shocking, especially if it becomes an IC. However, seems a bit odd that a standard TA knows something that is not to be found anywhere on the web.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 6:04 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
Dear all,

It won't be an IC. It will be fully managed by the owner.

Source: the current assistant GM in a mail to me when I was enquiring about CNY booking next year.

Extract:

"Mandarin Oriental is proud to have established Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi, Chiang Mai as one of the best resorts in Asia since it began managing the property in 2005. However, the Owner and Mandarin Oriental have different aspirations for its management and long-term development. As such, we have mutually agreed that Dhara Dhevi Hotel Company Limited will resume the management of the property with effect from close of business on 31st August 2013. From that date forward, the hotel will be called The Dhara Dhevi hotel.

The Resort Owner will handle current and future bookings and current booking remains valid. However, as of close of business on 31st August 2013, the Resort will be called Dhara Dhevi Chiang Mai."
Old Jul 11, 2013, 6:18 pm

Very interesting. I find this usually bodes poorly for the property; invariably costs are cut, and more importantly, service culture falters as team members leave.

Thank goodness the Four Seasons is there, and is a wonderful property (especially the Pool Suites)!
Old Jul 11, 2013, 7:38 pm

I do agree.. The owner will ruin the place..
Old Jul 11, 2013, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by aa213bb
Very interesting. I find this usually bodes poorly for the property; invariably costs are cut, and more importantly, service culture falters as team members leave.

Thank goodness the Four Seasons is there, and is a wonderful property (especially the Pool Suites)!
It's definitely a pity. This hotel was one of my all-time-favorites. I truly treasured it but felt that something was going to change upon Greg Liddell's departure to the LMO HK. Then the GM-1 retired, the chef Dominique left to Macau IIRC, the head Sommelier left as well and so on.

Too bad as it will definitely go down in quality. I truly hope for the contrary to happen but I don't see how the owner will be able to maintain such high standards by himself.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by SeamasterLux
It's definitely a pity. This hotel was one of my all-time-favorites. I truly treasured it but felt that something was going to change upon Greg Liddell's departure to the LMO HK. Then the GM-1 retired, the chef Dominique left to Macau IIRC, the head Sommelier left as well and so on.

Too bad as it will definitely go down in quality. I truly hope for the contrary to happen but I don't see how the owner will be able to maintain such high standards by himself.
I can assure you that if you treasured this experience, you would treasure the FS even more. I never particularly liked this property to say its an all-time favourite. I always considered it the back up option if a villa with a pool wasn't available at the FS. The FS is peerless in Chang Mai.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: co,ba,us,starwood,ua
We have a reservation for an early August stay. I hope the service is up to par.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Blackbook
I can assure you that if you treasured this experience, you would treasure the FS even more. I never particularly liked this property to say its an all-time favourite. I always considered it the back up option if a villa with a pool wasn't available at the FS. The FS is peerless in Chang Mai.
Everything was perfect at the time when Greg Liddell was GM. And I had a much larger villa at the MO for 30% less than a smaller villa at the FS, which is why I never tried it. When I came to the FS to visit, they weren't particularly nice and polite. I saw a room as well as a pool villa but wasn't blown away.
I guess it's a matter of taste after all.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Greg Liddell's departure to the LMO HK
GM-1 retired
chef Dominique left to Macau IIRC
head Sommelier left
and so on
generally speaking >
has it ever happened that owner was not happy with replacements offered by management company? or owner wanted management company to poach certain people from competitors, and they would not. or have management company use certain employees (in their own company) and management company did not want to. just 3 thoughts specifically regarding staffing decisions.

interesting timing re MO chiang mai >
http://www.mandarinoriental.com/medi...-managers.aspx
6 August, 2012

Paul Jones has been appointed General Manager of Mandarin Oriental, Taipei with effect from 17 September, 2012

10 September, 2012, Christian Hassing will succeed Paul Jones as General Manager of Mandarin Oriental, Singapore and in support of the Group’s growth in the Asia region, he will also take up the appointment of Area Vice President, Operations

Anthony Costa will succeed Christian Hassing as General Manager of Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo with effect from 3 September

Greg Liddell will succeed Anthony Costa as General Manager of The Landmark Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong with effect from 27 August, 2012. Mr Liddell joined Mandarin Oriental in 2009 as General Manager of Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi, Chiang Mai, during which time the property has been named as one of the ‘Best Hotels in Asia’ for service in the recent Travel + Leisure, ‘World’s Best Service’ listing.

Andrew Abram will succeed Greg Liddell as General Manager of Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi, Chiang Mai with effect from 24 August, 2012. Mr Abram began his career with Mandarin Oriental in 2003 as Resident Manager of The Excelsior, Hong Kong, before being appointed General Manager of Mandarin Oriental, Jakarta in 2004. Andrew has overseen the closure and total renovation of this hotel, prior to its successful re-launch in 2009.
31st August 2013. From that date forward, the hotel will be called The Dhara Dhevi hotel
MO >

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l-bangkok.html
jan and amanda are poorly regarded here, questionable decisions by MO for BKK
jan DID end up moving to solely corporate position, as originally suggested by Braniff >
http://www.tophotelchains.com/en/jan...mandarin-orien
http://www.hotelbusiness.com/links/n...s.php?ID=45090

http://read.gaaaccounting.com/news/a...l-hotel-group/
Originally Posted by MO CFO
Mainland China is the group’s second largest customer base, representing over 13 percent of the room nights sold globally

Before that we were looking at greenfield sites and at building resorts in various places. Now we’ve got the same number of opportunities, but many of them are for existing hotels that have struggled since the financial crisis under another brand or operator
atlanta was their first reflag? others doing reflags include dorchester, and?

so this is fully on topic in terms of what MO is doing as a management company in terms of their business model.
(interesting it seems the real changes to luxury hotel companies are happening now, rather than during economic crisis.)

Owner and Mandarin Oriental have different aspirations for its management and long-term development

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 6, 2013 at 3:08 pm
Old Jul 12, 2013, 7:04 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Was debating between MO and FS Chiang Mai for early September...glad I picked FS !
Old Jul 13, 2013, 6:15 am

This is terrible news, what a shame. The owners are making a huge mistake. It's really sad to see another wonderful property go the way of FS Terre Blanche.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
This is terrible news, what a shame. The owners are making a huge mistake. It's really sad to see another wonderful property go the way of FS Terre Blanche.
I totally agree with you and it's exactly the example I had in mind. The only thing I appreciated from the owner last time was the airport transfer upgrade with the Rolls Phantom.

However, this will ruin the property and I don't think it will help them maintaining high standards of service. If I were amongst the investors for villa for sale, I would be FURIOUS.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:33 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Here's some official information from the hotel's Director of Sales and Marketing:

I am contacting you today to inform you that on 31st August 2013, Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group will withdraw from managing Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi, Chiang Mai. The official announcement was made last Monday.

The Group is proud to have established Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi, Chiang Mai as one of the best resorts in Asia since it began managing the property in 2005. However, the Owner and Mandarin Oriental have different aspirations for its management and long-term development. As such, we have mutually agreed that Dhara Dhevi Hotel Company Limited will resume the management of the property with effect from close of business on 31st August 2013. We wish them continued success with this award-winning property, which will be re-named Dhara Dhevi Chiang Mai

It is important to note here that there will be no change whatsoever in the arrival experience, our first class food and beverage quality and associated services provided to our guest, absolutely no change in the cleanliness, hygiene or any aspect associated with life, health & safety issues, nor will there be changes in the configuration of our accommodation units, its housekeeping and concierge services or any other services the hotel has provided in the past and will provide in the future.
There have been no changes in ownership of the property. Both the owner of the hotel as well as all staff have been in the past and will continue to be fully committed to providing the memorable experience and quality of products to our guests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.