Rayavadee or Phulay Bay in Krabi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rayavadee or Phulay Bay in Krabi

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by dewby
I do not under estimate how amazing the scenery is. In fact i have commented that i consider it to be one of the best beaches in Thailand if not the world, it is totally stunning. No arguement from me. I loved my walks along the beach in the mng before the crowds arrived.

I also agree that it is not a super Luxe resort that the prices would indicate, even off peak the prices are steep. I have stayed in some Eco resorts and i have no issue in paying for location but i did not feel this was justified with Rayavadee. some of the cheaper resorts next door that are being built can only add to the woes IMHO.

I firmly believe it will need to adapt over the next 48 months or it will fade away. New guests that ar enot caught in its charm from 10 years ago will not accept the current staus Quo, again only my opinion.

lets re visit it in 2 years time and see if they can still demand a premium for something they can not offer, IE a secluded paradise which i am sure it was 10 years ago.
I'm there once or twice a year for a week at a time, and do not expect anything bad to happen. It has improved under current management.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do not under estimate how amazing the scenery is. In fact i have commented that i consider it to be one of the best beaches in Thailand if not the world, it is totally stunning. No arguement from me. I loved my walks along the beach in the mng before the crowds arrived.
dewby,

privacy is not always relevant to everyone. sounds like you need to try amanpulo and other amanresorts for example.

also when talking about "premiums" that is in comparison to other properties. i cant imagine you would have been able find availability at amanpuri or trisara for example.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...bi-phuket.html
I booked my trip in November 2012 and travelled 20 Dec until 08 Jan.
Peninsula Bangkok [3 nts]
JW Marriott Khao Lak [6 nts]
Ritz Carlton Phulay Bay
Rayavadee Krabi [right after NYE]
Sala Phuket

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 16, 2013 at 9:19 am
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
Kagehitokiri

Agreed. I dont mind a bit of noise or life either, i generally mix it up abit so a large resort or boutique does it for me. i have to balance it with what my daughter likes what my wife likes and what will be suited for my own requirements. Our coming Bali/Lombok trip emcompasses all those things so a bit of everything. I am also accustom to sluming it if needed. trust me i have been to places that far exceed your idea of a slum. (try Helmand province)

I think my real bug bear is how rayavadee sold itself. every single picture shows clear empty beaches and use the word paradise and it was not that. I genuinely mean i was heart broken. to be honest i am sure the resort are also concerned about the development on Railey beach which is extensive. They would be mad not too.

Mike

Nice for you that you are there twice a year. i am glad to hear that the management has made a difference. Would love to hear there honest opinion on the development on Railey and the day trippers and how they intend on sustaining the resort for the future. You can not tell me they are happy with how things are.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:01 am

Would love to hear there honest opinion on the development on Railey and the day trippers and how they intend on sustaining the resort for the future. You can not tell me they are happy with how things are.
Phranang Beach and all of Krabi's beaches to my knowledge are public and are protected as national parks in Thailand. As such, Rayavadee and other resorts have no right to exclude anyone from the beaches, and cannot even place lounge chairs or umbrellas on the beach due to local laws. This has always been the case, so nothing has changed.

I am glad that Phranang beach and Krabi's other beaches are public, becuse it would not be right to deny local residents and people not staying at Rayavadee access to the beach, which is a national landmark.

I will not post again to further discuss this, but I will reiterate that the resort is not even remotely at risk of downfall or demise as you have suggested. It is what it is and nothing will change about the beach. If you don't like it, you should stay elsewhere.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 5:13 am

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
Brilliant.....

firstly i intend on staying away, i think that is clear.

secondly no issues with the locals and beaches i actually like chatting to locals when on holiday we are their guests and it is up to us to go out of our way to learn local culture ect. what someone should do is at least restrict how many boats visit on a day as they do with some of the dive sites around the world. how many is too much?

as my you tube video shows is 500 boats a day carrying 30 tourists/day trippers each too many? I think it is.

lastly the picture is not showing low tide it is showing the huge amount of rubbish that comes with day trippers which will contine to plague this area.

i think your stays at Rayavadee will become more and more quiet because less and less will return, just look at the occupancy rates. here endeth my peice....
Old Jul 16, 2013, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

dewby, how was sala phuket?

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Phranang Beach and all of Krabi's beaches to my knowledge are public and are protected as national parks in Thailand.
national parks with no environmental regulations? (boats, fuel, etc - water not beach)

at least restrict how many boats visit on a day as they do with some of the dive sites

my you tube video shows is 500 boats

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 18, 2013 at 9:37 am
Old Jul 16, 2013, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
dewby, how was sala phuket?

national parks with no environmental regulations?
Kagehitokiri i totally agree.

a very good point on regulation, i really think this is what is required. That said i still feel the hotel is over priced for the standard of accommodation.

SALA Phuket was never a property that was on my horizon. I had a chance to change my flights so needed an additional night stay. SALA had some very good rates. if i recall i paid $300 for a pool villa which was a bargain for that time of year.

The hotel is on Mai Khao beach which is very nice. The beach just stretches for miles.

The villa was very shabby chic in a good way, lots of grey and and whites but quality fittings. The private pool very big as apposed to the dip tank at Rayavadee. The bathroom is outside including the toilet. The shower was real nice.

Bed comfortable and all the amenities you would expect of a 5 star hotel. The staff were superb and the service was good and friendly which is the norm in Thailand.

The food is incredible. The Pizzas were one of the best i have ever had and i mean ever. After 3 weeks of Pad Thai ect we were ready for some different food. My wife still talks about how good the food was at SALA.

Its isolated so a long way to anything else so you are stuck but it is literally a 10 min trip to the airport which is great, and no the aeroplanes do not disturb you.

I would return to SALA without doubt and indeed would stay at one of their other hotels on Samui for example.

What impressed me was that i had to check out early and they without asking provided us all with a lovely goodie bag for the flight. it was not needed as we had a F connection out of Bangkok but a very nice gesture and shows they think about their guests.

I found incredible rates for SALA on latestays.com which i had or was not familiar with before. a very happy family.

The bath at SALA

The main pool which is small but nice, very deep and interesting design particularly underwater

The Beach

I would recommend this hotel for others. not ideal for families but good enough. I liked it.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
national parks with no environmental regulations?
There are environmental regulations, but it is not always possible to enforce them. Unfortunately some visitors to the beach do litter, but Rayavadee's staff do a very good job of keeping the beach clean after the day trippers have left. By the evening the beach is essentially private, and there is no evidence of the daytime activity.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:34 am

The arrivals beach.

the other side is where 1000s of day trippers are.

Just to be clear, this picture is NOT of Rayavadee property. This is further down on Nammao beach in front of budget/backpacker accommodation and other establishments. There is no garbage at Rayavadee, and any that may be left on any of the beaches is promptly cleaned up.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 1:07 am

Mike

Do you work or have a connection to this hotel?

Was wondering why you have been so defensive and supportive of the place.

i thought you had left the conversation?

This picture is on one of the hotel beaches. The web site clearly says it has 3 beaches and this is one of them. i have a few more which i will upload later.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 1:21 am

Mike

This picture is on one of the hotel beaches. The web site clearly says it has 3 beaches and this is one of them. i have a few more which i will upload later.
No thanks.

I do not work at the resort. My connection to it is as a frequent guest, and I do not appreciate misleading trip advisor type photos and reviews here on FT.

The picture you have posted of Nammao beach was not taken in front of the resort, but is farther down on the beach where litter is unfortunately a problem. This is not on or near Rayavadee property and has nothing to do with the resort.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 1:23 am

One of the other hotel beaches in the evening as can be seen by the light. so the only time you can see sand is early doors at 7-9 am.

Old Jul 17, 2013, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
No thanks.

I do not work at the resort. My connection to it is as a frequent guest, and I do not appreciate misleading trip advisor type photos and reviews here on FT.

The picture you have posted of Nammao beach was not taken in front of the resort, but is farther down on the beach where litter is unfortunately a problem. This is not on or near Rayavadee property and has nothing to do with the resort.
Its about 80 metres away from where resort guests arrive. so please do not spin a yarn that it is no where near the resort.

you can se one of the resort speed boats actually in the background.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 1:30 am

Its about 80 metres away from where resort guests arrive. so please do not spin a yarn that it is no where near the resort.

you can se one of the resort speed boats actually in the background.
The photo was taken in front of other establishments on Nammao beach.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Mike

I am beginning to wonder whether you work for a competitor

I think this thread is now going nowhere. Moderator ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.