Reload this Page >

Rayavadee or Phulay Bay in Krabi

Rayavadee or Phulay Bay in Krabi

Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: LH Senator
Originally Posted by dewby
I have just spent a month i Thailand.

Rayavadee

a total dump. it is nice between 0600-0900 before the thousands of day trippers come to see the wonderful Phrang bay and then they stay. the beach has 1000s of people laying side by side, totally awful.

rooms old fashioned, damp and not 5 star. breakfast awful.

the noise pollution though is what makes this place unbearable. forget peaceful waves splashing against the sand all you get are 100s of long tail boats stinking the whole day long making a real pest of themselves.

Ritz Carlton

i had 6 nights here and did not want to leave, a paradise that out strips Rayavadee. the place is not even in the same league it is on a different planet. Phulay Bay is just simply amazing. rooms huge, resort perfect. baths out of this world. there are no negatives about the place.

if you can get Rayavadee for $100 go for it but take your noise cancelling headphones.

my recomendation is go to Phulay bay while it hovers around the $500, it will go up with out doubt as it becomes more popular.
I know that we all have different opinions but I really don't think that your comments on Rayavadee are fair.

In my opinion the breakfast is among the best I have been served in any luxury hotel. It is definitely not awful.

Indeed there are many daytrippers on the most scenic beach but the long tail boats are not directly in front of the hotel since the area is closed off. The daytrippers usually only stay for a short while and I actually like a bit of people watching.

If the noise bothers you there are plenty of other places within the resort, which will be completely quiet. There is certainly no need for noise canceling headphones.

I have been to Ryavadee ten times and still love it. Nothing beats the stunning scenery here. I agree that the design of the rooms is rather dated but some rooms have been refurbished, which helps.

Ryavadee is a great place and NOT a dump.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 5:34 am

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
Smile

I will try and upload some pictures of rayavadee and some videos so those who have not been can see with there eyes. Words are only opinions. Pictures and videos are generally the truth.

I don't understand the comment that the beach in front of the hotel is blocked off?? This is not the case. It is a national park and the hotel are not allowed to place anything on the beach.

The hotel also sits between 2 cliffs so the noise can not be escaped as it whistles through the whole resort and there is no privacy. I don't expect privacy for $100 but for $1000 I do and there is none.

I do feel that lots of the guests are a little sentimental about this hotel because they spent there honeymoon there 15 years ago but the world has moved on and rayavadee has not.

Yes the deco of the rooms is old and yes some have been re done but not to the standard they should be for the money.

I still feel this hotel will be a relic in a few years time.

Now how do I upload pictures and videos to prove my point?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:23 am

The hotel also sits between 2 cliffs so the noise can not be escaped as it whistles through the whole resort and there is no privacy. I don't expect privacy for $100 but for $1000 I do and there is none.

I still feel this hotel will be a relic in a few years time.

Now how do I upload pictures and videos to prove my point?
I simply adore Rayavadee and its location between the cliffs. It is true that the beach gets packed with day trippers in the afternoon, but it is magical in the evening. I will certainly be returning for many years.

I don't think it is a question of value for money, but that certain resorts appeal to different people. I also stay at Phulay Bay and am fully aware that it is nicer in some respects, but I choose Rayavadee for its setting and its sensitive environmental design. For this same reason I have chosen Soneva Kiri for my upcoming trip to Thailand.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 8:41 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

....Now how do I upload pictures and videos to prove my point?
I don't believe that FT has the capability of uploading videos. Pictures of reasonable size can be uploaded by just including the URL of the .jpg for the picture. I think the picture has to be somewhere else on the web already, you can't upload a picture from your PC -- but I could be wrong about that.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 7:44 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
I have just returned from a trip to thailand.

Phulay bay is perfect. everything about the place is amazing.

yes food is expensive but not silly.

breakfast amazing

rooms amazing

staff amazing

Trip advisor could not have got it more wrong.

i spent 6 days at PB and 5 at Rayavadee. Rayavadee is a dump in comparison. i could not believe how many long tails boats park on the beach in front of Rayavadee, disgusting vile place.

go to PB its a paradise.

top tip is a visit to Pan beach which is 5 mins from PB.
This is an unhelpful and misleading review. You may not like Rayavadee (indeed, it is clear that you do not), but to call it a dump is just wrong. There is certainly a beach that is public and the resort borders it - but you can frankly say the same for a lot of really expensive beach resorts elsewhere in the world. Worse yet, the nature of the review doesn't add any credibility to the other property that you like, which may well be OK. However, I certainly wouldn't "go to PB its a paradise" on the basis of this review, and I suspect others wouldn't.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Originally Posted by grumbler
However, I certainly wouldn't "go to PB its a paradise" on the basis of this review, and I suspect others wouldn't.
Agreed; probably one of the most misleading reviews of Rayavadee I've ever seen.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 6:10 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum Premier, National Executive Elite
All, we are planning a stay for 4 nights at PB in late August and need to decide between:

Ocean Pavilion, Guest room, 1 King, Bathrooms: 2, Ocean view
Beach Villa, 1 Bedroom Villa, 1 King, Beachfront

I like the idea of Ocean Pavilion since it is set back rom the beach with a full view of the resort but the idea of walking right out onto the beach is also appealing.

Anyone have any comments on deltas? Its about a 10k THB difference, and not sure if being able to walk right onto the beach is really worth that.

Thanks.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by fkatzRTW
All, we are planning a stay for 4 nights at PB in late August and need to decide between:

Ocean Pavilion, Guest room, 1 King, Bathrooms: 2, Ocean view
Beach Villa, 1 Bedroom Villa, 1 King, Beachfront

I like the idea of Ocean Pavilion since it is set back rom the beach with a full view of the resort but the idea of walking right out onto the beach is also appealing.

Anyone have any comments on deltas? Its about a 10k THB difference, and not sure if being able to walk right onto the beach is really worth that.

Thanks.
I would avoid booking a beach villa unless you can confirm an upgrade to a Reserve Villa. The beach villas are not as nice because they were existing villas from the resort's previous life, and simply have been lightly renovated. Go for an ocean pavilion, or preferably a Reserve Villa or higher category.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 6:30 am

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
Reserve villas are spot on. Agree the Beach villas are a bit tired but the rest of the resort is simply wornderful.

Reserve pavilions are fine to the bath room will be a little smaller but not much else.

Enjoy your stay.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 6:36 am

BTW

Grumbler by name and clearly nature. My views on Rayavadee remain extant. the most disapointing travel experience of my life. i have a right to say what my opinion is and i still think it is a dump.

what i found really interesting is the amount of messages that rayavdee placed on facebook to get so called fans to submit reports on tripadvisor to say what a great place it was after i wrote a review. Steven King is less ficticous than some of those reviews.

i wrote a damning report called paradise lost because for me that is what it is. The 12 or so guests i met whilst there shared my opinion.

Grumbler-when are you going back to Rayavadee??? never i suspect!
Old Jul 11, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
BTW

Grumbler by name and clearly nature. My views on Rayavadee remain extant. the most disapointing travel experience of my life. i have a right to say what my opinion is and i still think it is a dump.

what i found really interesting is the amount of messages that rayavdee placed on facebook to get so called fans to submit reports on tripadvisor to say what a great place it was after i wrote a review. Steven King is less ficticous than some of those reviews.

i wrote a damning report called paradise lost because for me that is what it is. The 12 or so guests i met whilst there shared my opinion.

Your views are clear. I don't agree with them. Based on the quality of your post, I certainly would not rely upon it to make a decision about where I would stay in Krabi.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rayavadee is a dump in comparison
Rayavadee

a total dump. it is nice between 0600-0900
Words are only opinions

I do feel that lots of the guests are a little sentimental about this hotel because they spent there honeymoon there 15 years ago
inaccurate statements about posters/posts in this forum

Grumbler by name and clearly nature

i still think it is a dump.

personal attacks and inaccuracies

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 14, 2013 at 12:00 pm
Old Jul 12, 2013, 3:52 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Wow - I wish that all the dumps I had stayed at in the past were as wonderful as the Rayavadee. It's obviously that your 'entitlements' have meant that don't have a real concept of what a 'dump' is - especially in Thailand.

If it doesn't have bed bugs, rampant giant cockroaches and chicken wire for walls I don't consider it a dump

It was stuck in a rut until about 5 years ago (as one of Thailand's best / most expensive hotels until about 10 years ago) - eye was taken off the ball, but that's no longer the case. I think the hotel has taken massive strides forward. And yes the 'public' beach can get busy - but it's one of the most picturesque and beautiful in the world (imo) and it's on your doorstep.

Yeh - take me back tomorrow please!

Re: Phulay Bay I havn't stayed, but I strolled by when staying at the Tubkaak - does the beach next to it still have the link to the mine? Just remember thinking that it had chosen the wrong part of the beach to be located as really not pretty. Was a few years ago - so please update?
Old Jul 12, 2013, 9:43 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's watch the name calling folks, limit comments to the topic!

Thanks,
RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:07 am

Thumbs down paradise lost

Sorry for Offence, not intended, there are worse things to be called i guess.

What i will say is that FT is a good source of, although differing honest advice and i dont think it is fair when we become as honest as trip advisor... this is what i feel and i read so much about the hotel before i went to find what i did.

yes Rayavadee has one of the most incredible beaches in Thailand and maybe the world but it is ruined now. it took me along time until i could afford such luxury and when i did make the jump i could have cried. The setting is incredible but it has lost its mark.

Not quiet a broken heart but close to it. i was so disappointed with the place. Yes i could even stretch to say the rooms are ok but that is it. we are talking about a at least $500 a night for the smallest room hotel. At least dick Turpin wore a mask. (google if you dont understand)

The beach at 0930 whilst is was there is at the link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2q0K...ature=youtu.be

it only got worse i can assure you. The point i am making is places change and railey beach has done so. it is not what it was 10 or 20 years ago. The noise and the day trippers that bring their stereo systems with them just simply make the place awful. I am sure in its hay day it was amazing but it is not anymore, not in my view anyway.

what disgusted me most about the place was on my return and thought i would write a review on TA which has had 1000s of views , The hotel started a campaign asking all of their facebook fans to write reviews so mine would be pushed out of the way, trying to cover the tracks of what is nothing more than a 4 star boutique hotel.

in fact it should not even be in this forum, but thats just my opinion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.