Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Mandarin Oriental in Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2013, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

New Mandarin Oriental in Shanghai

They have opened today, congratulations! It seems like an amazing property, anybody who has more information (seen it, booked a stay, visited?)
Old Apr 26, 2013, 8:05 am

I agree that it looks stunning, but unless you are in Shanghai on business, why would you stay in Pudong? I would much rather be at The Pen on the Bund.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 6:02 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
They are having a 2 for 1 promo for their opening. So far, luxury hotels in China have all fallen short of my expectation with the exception of the Peninsula Shanghai. But I may give a try considering the promotion.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'll try it the next time I am in town. But I agree about the location and I much prefer a Club room at the Ritz Portman.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 4:03 pm

I agree that staying in Pudong for leisure wouldn't be great - close to the Bund is much more convenient but I have to admit I wasn't greatly impressed by the Pen. The lobby area is lacking in any comfortable seating - basically I think there are only 2 sofas - one of which is opposite the reception desk. Other than that the only other public seating is the lobby restaurant where breakfast is served. I like to sit in comfort and people watch whilst having a pre or post dinner drink. The whole ground floor is a shopping arcade!

Our room which I think was a junior suite had a very odd layout - it was a long walk through the entrance area through an anteroom to the bathroom which wasn't great in the middle of the night - I was wide awake by the time I'd navigated there and back! We had a river view but unless you are on one of the top floors on the Bund side the views aren't great. Other than that the room was comfortable with great fittings but I might try somewhere else if we were to go again.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 2:50 am

Programs: UA, CX, BR
Quitecontrary - you might like the Puli Hotel: bar next to reception and "library" across the lobby, very convenient for people-watching with a drink.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I agree that it looks stunning, but unless you are in Shanghai on business, why would you stay in Pudong? I would much rather be at The Pen on the Bund.
Agree the location is a bit odd. Also staying in Pudong on business there are already many luxury options including the RC Pudong, the FS Pudong, the Shangri-La Horizon Club, and the Park Hyatt for starters.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:29 am

Staying in Pudong is not ideal for leisure travel, but who goes to Shanghai purely as a leisure destination? The hotels on the Bund are old and sadly lacking. The FS and RC remind me of FS and RC properties of the 1990s in the US which either need to be torn down or refurbished. The new list of hotels on Pudong outshine the Bund except for the Pen but even then, its a difficult case. I prefer the FS or RC in Pudong. The MO is a great addition and is on my list.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Blackbook
Staying in Pudong is not ideal for leisure travel, but who goes to Shanghai purely as a leisure destination? The hotels on the Bund are old and sadly lacking. The FS and RC remind me of FS and RC properties of the 1990s in the US which either need to be torn down or refurbished. The new list of hotels on Pudong outshine the Bund except for the Pen but even then, its a difficult case. I prefer the FS or RC in Pudong. The MO is a great addition and is on my list.
A lot of people who are 'doing' China stay in Shanghai purely for leisure and most of those would not want to stay in the business district of Pudong which is very isolated from tourist sites such as the French Concession. Shanghai has an excellent bullet train link to Hangzhou (Amanfayun etc) and I think to Lijiang, so it is becoming an increasingly important leisure hub.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
I have been to Shanghai three times, always for leisure, never for business. I would never consider staying in Pudong no matter how nice the hotel. Part of luxury for me is location.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice Place

Just finished a 2 day stay in a club room on the 2 for 1 promotion. Hotel is pretty quiet but that may be because it's a 3 day holiday in China now. For me the location is fine, but I live in the heart of Puxi (about a block from the new Shangri La) and I enjoy escaping the hustle and bustle for a while. There is a great prominade that ends just in front of the hotel that you can walk on and check out the sights of the bund and the buildings of lujiazui. There is also a ferry dock that will take you right to Nanjing E Road in Puxi in about 5 minutes. Therefore I don't view this location as problematic for someone who is visiting as a tourist.

The hotel's gym is very modern as you'd expect and the pool is lovely. My room is well appointed and the bed is very comfy. The lounge is lovely and the staff to customer ratio seems to be about 5-1 these 2 days! There is a wonderful collection of books to look at in the lounge as well. The service is better than any hotel I've stayed at in China by a long shot. It seems the MO has trained their staff well. The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the Shangri La or Ritz Pudong so although it's off to the side of lujiazui, it's an easy walk to those places. All in all a very nice place to spend a few days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.