Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe, New Mexico

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2012, 2:24 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe, New Mexico

The newest Four Seasons. FS will take over management of this resort in Santa Fe, New Mexico, effective July 1st.

FSPP amenities are not yet listed, nor is the hotel in the FSPP booking engine yet. Due on the website on June 29th.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 2:41 pm

Interesting...Thanks DaveO.
Dan
Old May 4, 2013, 5:48 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Anybody been here?
Old May 6, 2013, 3:52 pm

I just checked in today for a 3-night stay! Heading out to explore the property now and will report back with thoughts later this week.
Old May 13, 2013, 7:24 pm

Trip Report: Four Seasons Rancho Encantado Santa Fe

I've just spent the past three nights at the new Four Seasons Rancho Encantado in Santa Fe, New Mexico. The Four Seasons took over management of the property from Auberge in July 2012 and have slowly been making improvements since.

For anyone that has been to the property before, the first thing you'll notice is that they've removed the giant eye-sore that was the self-parking lot in the middle of all of the buildings. Now, that area is a natural high-desert garden.

Untitled by JessicaOurisman, on Flickr

You'll most-likely arrive via the Santa Fe airport (American Eagle flights from Dallas and LA or Great Lakes Air/Frontier from Denver) or the Albuquerque Airport and the hotel will arrange transfers from either. Rental car options are available at either airport, as well.

Because the hotel is about 15 minutes outside of downtown Santa Fe, the hotel operates a shuttle service and guests enjoy complimentary rides to the square or any of the downtown restaurants. Rides into town are on the hour and pick-ups in town are on the half-hour. They do request that guests make advance reservations just so they can be sure to have enough cars in operation.

Based on footprint, there is essentially only two room types. The categories are defined by property location and view. All rooms are in standalone casitas and most of the casitas have 2-4 rooms in them, two on the bottom floor and (sometimes) two on a second floor.

Vista Deluxe King Room by JessicaOurisman, on Flickr

We stayed in a Vista Deluxe room, which was the highest room category before the suites and had slightly obstructed views of the valley and hills beyond the property. The Deluxe rooms all have fireplaces and private patios or balconies. I really liked the layout of the rooms; they have a small entry area with the mini-bar and the bedroom to one side and bathroom to the other side. All rooms have a Keurig coffee maker, which is a nice amenity to have on the chilly mornings. The bathrooms are nice and big with heated floors, separate showers and HUGE soaking tubs, a separate WC, and double vanity. The decor in the room is pretty plain; these rooms do have a sense of place, but I thought they lacked some charm and warmth. The floors are concrete throughout, but are only heated in the bathroom so they can get pretty cold!

HINT: some Deluxe rooms have fireplaces on the patio, but this is not designated in the inventory and are either luck of the draw or by request only.

There are 4 rooms that have 2 Queen size beds in them, called the Double Queen Deluxe in the inventory. These are slightly larger than the Deluxe rooms, but otherwise have the same layout and decor as the Deluxe level rooms. The ONLY connecting rooms on property are from a Double Queen to another Double Queen.

The Suites are either Sunset or Summit and they all have the same footprint. The Summit suites are located on the highest spot of the property with the best views. The Sunset suites are slightly lower, but still have great views looking west over the valley. I saw a Sunset Suite on my site-inspection. These have a similar entry-way to the Deluxe rooms with some upgrades, the mini bar area is now a wet bar, the coffee machine is a nicer model, and there is a half bath off to the side. This is a true suite with door separating the living and sleeping space. The fireplace is in the living room, but you can see it from bed if you keep the doors open. Both rooms have doors out to the patio, which has another large fireplace. The suites have hard wood floors in the living areas (a nice upgrade from the regular rooms) and heated concrete floors in the bathroom. The bathroom is slightly larger than in the Deluxe rooms, but it has all of the same finishes. NOTE: Right now, none of the suites have sleeper sofas. They can hold 3 adults or 2 adults, 2 children but with roll-aways only. The Four Seasons has plans to upgrade these all to sleeper sofas by the end of the summer.

Patio Fireplace in the Suites by JessicaOurisman, on Flickr

The Spa is a big center-piece on the property and one of the major draws that brings guests in. Hotel guests have access to the spa facilities free of charge; this includes an outdoor whirlpool tub, steam room, and relaxation room. There are 15 total treatment rooms and 2 couples' suites with their own whirlpool tubs. The couples suites are large enough for small groups and would work well for a ladies' spa retreat, etc. All of the spa treatments are inspired by local ingredients and ancient techniques from the local Native American tribes. There is a heated outdoor pool that is open seasonally. The gym is large and fully equipped with all of the usual suspects. There is also a yoga studio; complimentary classes are offered on a regular basis and private instruction can be arranged.

Bar snacks and fireplace by JessicaOurisman, on Flickr

The dining options in both the bar and Terra restaurant were a big highlight for us on this trip. The new chef at Terra is Andrew Cooper, previously from the Four Seasons Hualalai, and he has introduced a menu that focuses on local ingredients, unexpected preparation methods, and creative presentation. Everything we ate here was incredible! Some highlights include the BBQ Burger, smoked mashed potatoes, and the caramel pretzel ice cream.

The Four Seasons is doing a lot of work to bring everything up to their standards. There was some landscaping construction going on while I was there and they have plans to renovate the restaurant with an open kitchen plan next year. They have been here for less than a year and have already done a lot of work; they are putting a lot of thought into each decision to make a change. With only 65 rooms, this is a smaller than normal property for The Four Seasons to take on and they are using this as a guinea pig for future plans.

Sunset view from our patio by JessicaOurisman, on Flickr

I have to add that this trip was part work, part pleasure for me. I brought Mr. O and we counted this as our 5-year anniversary celebration trip so this was a great opportunity to test the staff to see if they would make note of our special occasion and boy, did they! We were treated like royalty. Every member of the staff - waiters, housekeepers, concierge, drivers - EVERYONE wished us a happy anniversary throughout the entire stay. I was really impressed with the quality of service at every level!

Bottom Line: This property isn't quite up to all of the Four Seasons standards just yet, but they are well on their way. I hope they make some improvements to the basic rooms, but all of the changes I would make are really minor in the grand scheme of things. The dining is fantastic and absolutely worth a trip even if you choose to stay elsewhere in Santa Fe.
Old May 13, 2013, 9:36 pm

Lovely to read that and see the photos, Jessica, and hope you might put up some more. We stayed here way back in 1995 on our very first driving trip to the USA. We were drawn to the hotel because it was then in Rene Lecler's 300 Best Hotels in the World but, my word, it was terribly run down. Nevertheless, we liked our little hacienda and the location was absolutely beautiful. Must try and go back, maybe combining it with AmanUtah.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 1:57 pm

Any other recent stays? I'm heading there for a long weekend in a couple of weeks and would love to hear some other opinions.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 5:42 pm

Programs: luxury traveler
I ran into a couple who lives in Santa Fe (they were at the dreaded Winvian with us last weekend). They said the restaurant is fantastic and enthusiastically recommended FS as the best place to stay in the area. We plan to check it out soon, too. Let us know!
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Thinking of booking this hotel in late June. Some questions I am hoping someone here can answer:

1. Is the weather pleasant or at least manageable (I am from TPA for some context).

2. Can one make a 7 day vacation out of it (or does it get boring). We fully enjoy hiking, biking, and all active pursuits. Love lazing around too...

3. Do we need a rental car to fully enjoy the area.

Thanks in advance, FTers!
Old Jan 4, 2014, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Babu
1. Is the weather pleasant or at least manageable (I am from TPA for some context).
Weather shouldn't be a problem at all. The nights will still be cool, but the days should be nice and warm for you. Temps might get up to the 90s, but the air is so dry the heat has never bothered me. I live in BWI so I'm used to a very humid heat and I've been to Santa Fe for the 4th of July when it was 95 degrees and I wore long sleeves because it was cool in the shade!

2. Can one make a 7 day vacation out of it (or does it get boring). We fully enjoy hiking, biking, and all active pursuits. Love lazing around too...
Since you like hiking, you should have no problem filling in 7-days. You can easily spend a full day or two just exploring the area around the plaza. You also might want to do some horseback riding or plan a day trip to explore nearby Taos.

3. Do we need a rental car to fully enjoy the area.
If you want to do hiking, I would say definitely get a rental car. Some of the best hiking areas are a 30-40 minute drive from Santa Fe. My favorite hiking is out near Los Alamos and the Puye Cliff Dwellings.

Feel free to DM me or email at [email protected] if you have any other questions.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Jessica,

Thanks so much for your detailed and thoughtful responses!
Old Jan 4, 2014, 3:18 pm

Was at this property last summer. It does not even come close to matching the standards of other Four Seasons. The lobby and the restaurant are totally unappealing. The hotel does not take advantage of any type of view. Sitting outside at the restaurant during breakfast was actually quite depressing. The pool area is also really bad. When I was there, they did not have nearly enough umbrellas for all of the guests. Spa and rooms are OK.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Hotelsforlife
Was at this property last summer. It does not even come close to matching the standards of other Four Seasons. The lobby and the restaurant are totally unappealing. The hotel does not take advantage of any type of view. Sitting outside at the restaurant during breakfast was actually quite depressing. The pool area is also really bad. When I was there, they did not have nearly enough umbrellas for all of the guests. Spa and rooms are OK.
I completely agree. i also stayed at the FS last summer and was underwhelmed. Serious design flaws and service is definitely not up to usual FS standards. Management was nowhere to be seen.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
We had a brief stay last weekend, and would offer the following comments:

1. FHR amenities were acknowledged, and applied. Early check-in, late check-out, adequate breakfast credit and $100 resort credit.

2. Property was nice enough, room likewise. Given the cold weather, it was nice having heated floors in the bath area.

3. Lunch in the bar was lovely, and the food very nice. Dinner at Terra was nice as well. Not superb, not memorable, but tasty and well presented.

4. The one major disappointment was breakfast. We arrived a couple of minutes after 8 a.m., and promptly informed the wait staff that my wife had a spa treatment scheduled at 9. We specifically asked if her order could be speeded up. No response. After 20 minutes had elapsed, I asked the manager if she could have someone take our order. Twenty minutes thereafter, we were served coffee. My wife's continental breakfast arrived just a few minutes before her scheduled appointment. Breakfast pastries, though not precisely to our taste, were fine. My son's pancakes, on the other hand, were just plain awful.

5. Staff admitted they were still working on implementing some "extras" for children, but that it was a work in progress. To their credit, it was a nice touch when some smores were delivered to our room, which our son enjoyed greatly.

Would we go back? Perhaps, but I doubt we would make a special trip to do so.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 8:48 am
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

I had been to the Santa Fe property when it was still an Auberge (original trip report: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ge-resort.html). And while I liked it, I didn’t think it was great (and I thought it had some horrible design flaws). I needed to be back in Santa Fe for other reasons, so I thought I would try out the resort since I was in the area. I was hoping for an improved experience. Sadly, I was disappointed.

Initially, I had asked my travel agent to inform the resort that we’d check in around 1 (which he did). We actually arrived at 10am, not expecting to get a room, but just wanting to drop off our luggage, leave one car at the resort and then head out for a while. Upon arrival, there was no greeting at all and the bellmen/greeters were just bad: “Uh, are you here for breakfast?”. No help with the luggage was offered. I have no issue lugging my own luggage, but the third person in our party (who had a separate reservation but was arriving with us) has mobility issues and the bellmen just stood there while she struggled with her bags. Finally, I had to help her (and then they came over to ‘help’, but by that time they were more of a nuisance than anything else). Communicating our check in situation was no problem and then we were off in the car.

But when we came back (at around 2), it was another round of fun: still no greeting from the bellmen. The person who helped us at 10 was not around to help at 2 and no communication was made to the new person at the desk. The woman at check in insisted on calling our friend (who has a gender-neutral name, but is clearly a woman) “Mr.”, because this is what it said on the reservation.

There was no mention of FSPP amenities and no upgrade for either of us. This last part is especially egregious as I know (via the FS website) that the next suite type up was available during our entire stay so we should have been upgraded. I tried to mention this to the clerk, but her response was “we don’t upgrade”. I thought about pursuing it further, but at this point I just wanted to get into the room and away from her (and the only difference between the suite we booked and the one we should have been upgraded to was the view). That said, the luggage was already in our rooms and the rooms were ready when we arrived the second time.

Our suite was fine. I do think we had the best view (and privacy) in our suite category. But there was noticeable deferred maintenance in the room. The heated floors didn’t work (and maintenance was unable to fix this, even though they pronounced it ‘fixed’), the shower head was so calcified that only one of the three settings would work, one of the two sliding glass doors would not close completely.

We did eventually (that evening) receive a welcome note, fruit and champagne. The day that we checked in was actually my birthday and I have a feeling that receiving this was more to do with my TA than the resort. Our companion never received any welcome amenity or note in her room.

The facilities at the resort were fine. I liked the fact that the hot tub was open, even though the pool was closed (although this was never communicated to us and we had to figure it out on our own). We did not have spa treatments. Dinner at the restaurant was good, breakfast was mediocre, at best. Service at the restaurant was very good (and really, the only friendly service we encountered at the resort). Housekeeping was good: we told them when to come for cleaning and turndown and they did.

Four Seasons seems to have made some improvements (there are now some paths around the resort), but the whole resort is still centered around a huge parking lot. I’m not sure what they can do to improve this. They did build some privacy fences around the patios, so you don’t feel like you are staring directly at cars. Rooms are exactly the same as they were when it was an Auberge.

But, they took some things away as well: the mini bar is no longer free (as it was when it was an Auberge), they introduced a 2-tier Wi-Fi system and the free tier is really too slow to be of any use (5 minutes to send an email, 10 minutes to refresh emails, most web pages time out). The shuttle service to Santa Fe is still offered, which is nice, and it seems to run more frequently than when it was an Auberge, but they closed down the lounge that Auberge had in Santa Fe (and I thought the lounge was a really nice feature).

Service overall (with the exception of the wait staff in the restaurant) was oddly cold and just felt very ‘corporate’. Although this is only a 65 room resort, it really seems to be run like a 400 room hotel. There was no visible management presence at the resort at all. Maybe this is the 'FS way', now. Honestly, service was much better when the place was run by Auberge. It’s ironic because when I look at my report on the place when it was an Auberge, I indicated that service was not up to FS standards - funny how things change.

Check out was fine. The FSPP benefits were applied perfectly. There were false mini-bar charges on the bill, but this always seems to be the case when I stay at a FS (and they took them off without any problem). The man checking us out was much better than the woman checking us in.

Overall, we had a decent time, but there was absolutely nothing special about the place or the service. And although we will need to be in Santa Fe numerous times over the next couple of years, we will not return to the resort. I wanted to give FS my continued business here, but after our mediocre stay, I don’t feel they’ve earned it. And sadly, I find that this is not only true at this property, but seems to be more and more the case for all my FS stays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.